SeaWorld Orlando (SWO) Discussion Thread

P. 578: Kraken Unleashed Media Preview photos & video posted
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 5 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: SeaWorld Orlando (SWO) Discussion Thread

Postby Hilltopper39 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:21 am

RollerManic wrote:Yeah, the old Kraken entrance was one of my favorites ever.

Yeah, same, I always liked walking through the cave to see the Kraken Eggs, it was always kind of a cool "hidden" aquarium at SeaWorld. But oh well, I'm sure the new entrance will look great what ever they end up doing with it.

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:53 am

I'm surprised that everyone liked sock puppet / paper mache Kraken so much?!?!? Sure, the cave with the eggs looks great, but the big sock puppet guarding it always looked a little C+ level park to me!

Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Postby boldikus » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:21 am

SharkTums wrote:^^I feel like that padded compartment for the VR goggles is a perfect 'puke catcher'. Seriously, isn't it going to get gross?!!?

My first thought upon seeing that picture. :lol:
Look for the humor in anything and you will find it.
Maverick - El Toro - Skyrush - Superman: The Ride - Intimidator 305 -
Wicked Cyclone - Phantoms Revenge - Millennium Force - Storm Runner - Nitro

Postby Hilltopper39 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:25 am

SharkTums wrote:I'm surprised that everyone liked sock puppet / paper mache Kraken so much?!?!? Sure, the cave with the eggs looks great, but the big sock puppet guarding it always looked a little C+ level park to me!

You're not wrong, but that also doesn't mean I didn't kind of like it a little bit. Besides we don't know what a Kraken really looks like, they might all be sock puppets in the wild..... ;)

Also, I just noticed this picture on Google images of someone finish up painting opening year, they should have totally left a person in it's mouth as a thematic element.
Last edited by Hilltopper39 on Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:29 am.

Postby coasterbill » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:28 am

That's a shame, it looks like we'll miss Kraken by a week when we visit this June. We've ridden it before but I wouldn't mind trying the VR if wait times aren't too bad. Hopefully we'll get a soft opening.

Open Up Happiness

Postby jedimaster1227 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:02 pm

A few weeks ago I had the opportunity to attend one of the first showings of the new Dolphin Days show at SeaWorld Orlando. This show replaced the beloved Blue Horizons that ran at the Dolphin Theater for 11 years. As one of the first new shows under the new SeaWorld direction, Dolphin Days strips away most of the theatrical flair and story that its predecessor had, but manages to maintain the excitement and the awe of the previous show while giving guests a more educational, insightful look into the show's namesake stars. The Dolphin Theater has been left as is, with the last Blue Horizons show having finished on the day before this debuted--the show sets remain despite being mostly unused. The high diving platforms, acrobatic rigging and fountains of the previous show are in place but do not play a part in the show. New music joins the show experience as the trainers introduce each dolphin individually with their own unique trick that will catch the audience's attention.

Most surprisingly is the continuation of the dolphin trainers' in-water interactions with the dolphins... If not the increased amount of time within the show in which they do so. It is these very interactions that keep the new show from being overly preachy and educational, but further emphasizes the important bond between carer and caregiver that SeaWorld has so heavily focused on over the last few years.

Overall the show manages to accomplish exactly what SeaWorld intended... A less theatrical presentation that doesn't lose the value of what drew guests there in the first place. There's definitely more of an informational takeaway with this new show, but the tricks and the worth of lining up early and getting a good seat are still there. There's still the standard audience interaction and the splash zones are still used for a portion of the show... I walked away feeling relieved that this show is still very much in the vein of what I know and love about SeaWorld. Dolphin Days falls somewhat between the dolphin shows I grew up with and the modern show I spent the last decade loving as a young adult. The DNA of SeaWorld shines through in this show and while some may miss the cirque-esque theatrics of Blue Horizons, Dolphin Days is a worthy follow-up that does right by SeaWorld amidst today's changing demands from guests of a marine park.

On a totally separate track, this was also my first visit to SeaWorld's Seven Seas Food Festival. The successful event has already run at several of the other parks in the SeaWorld Parks family (it is a sister event to the food and wine festival at Busch Gardens) and it is off to a strong start for its first year. Encompassing the previous Bands, Brew & BBQ event and Viva La Musica, the new festival features a event-wide menu in additional to seasonal offerings tied to the previous events in which it includes. The festival runs mostly during the weekends but has also been running for select weekdays with a limited menu due to the festival's popularity. The event is running for a few more weeks so I strongly recommend stopping into the park to check it out along with the new Dolphin Days show!
1.JPG
Like with Blue Horizons, Dolphin Days has multiple shows each day.
2.JPG
The former Blue Horizons set remains intact even though its elements are mostly unused in the new show.
3.JPG
The pre-show features three humorous construction workers heckling guests as they enter the theater.
4.JPG
It is a welcome relief to see that the dolphins are still extremely active throughout the show.
5.JPG
The trainers still actively perform in the water with the dolphins, which is a great surprise as well!
6.JPG
The audience really seemed to respond to all of the tricks within the show!
7.JPG
The parrots from Blue Horizons still appear in the show, flying overhead which definitely catches guests off guard.
9.JPG
One of my favorite moments from the Blue Horizons finale returns when the dolphins all jump in unison across the theater.
11.JPG
The "superman" trick from Blue Horizons still takes place too!
12.JPG
A child from the audience is chosen to interact with a dolphin up close... And gets a little wet in the process!
13.JPG
And this signature trick still takes place too!
14.JPG
15.JPG
One of my favorite moments from the Blue Horizons finale returns when the dolphins all jump in unison across the theater.
17.JPG
The Smokehouse Tavern (one of the seasonal booths) offered the park's signature spare ribs (a favorite tradition of my family's that I've always indulged when I can) and a Yuengling-infused grilled kielbasa sandwich!
18.JPG
At the Caribbean Market, the Shrimp Cake, Seafood Ceviche and the Cinnamon Slow Roasted Pork Belly were all winners!
20.JPG
The Florida Market (my favorite booth of the event) featured Coconut Shrimp, Shrimp Mac & Cheese (my favorite savory dish of the event), a Fried Kataifi Orange and the Key Lime Martini (my favorite dessert of the event). I came back for seconds!
21.JPG
The Mediterranean Market features Sea Scallops Provencal, Smoked Cured Salmon, a Grilled Lamb Chop and the Dark Chocolate Guinness Mousse Parfait, all of which were awesome!
22.JPG
The Bacon & Cheddar Hushpuppies from the North Atlantic Market were my second favorite savory item out of the entire event menu. The Grilled Venison Sausage Slider was a great option too!
23.JPG
The Pacific Coast Market has some of the most unique menu items of the event including the Braised Pork Cheek and the Grilled Cheese Pound Cake (an item brought over from the sister event at Busch Gardens Tampa).
24.JPG
The braised pork cheek is wrapped in banana leaves and served with a savory apple polenta and red wine reduction. Such a great dish!
25.JPG
The Ahi Tuna Tartar (bottom left) and the Hawaiian Pineapple Dream Cake (top right) from the Polynesian island Market both impressed... The Hawaiian Pineapple Dream Cake was a standout of the entire event!

The Gulf Coast Market's Braised Short Ribs, the Cheese Grits & Shrimp Casserole and the Wild Berry Chocolate Bread Pudding were all great as well!
28.JPG
The Chicken & Sausage Gumbo from the Gulf Coast Market was another win for the event.
26.JPG
Both the Polynesian Island Market and the Gulf Coast Market enjoy a convenient location in the shaded structure to the right of the entrance of Wild Arctic.
27.JPG
Over at the Korean Market, the Korean Beef Taco and the Roasted Sweet Potato Taco were both a large and particularly flavorful! The Watermelon Slushy with Soju, Ginger Liqueur, Simply Syrup and Lime Juice was perfectly smooth and refreshing!
10.JPG
Over on the festival side of the event (remember, the booths are mostly located throughout the park), the concert stage at Bayside Stadium is accompanied by a series of beer booths and a smaller entertainment stage.
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Postby Philrad71 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:33 pm

Thanks for the report, Adam...the new Dolphin Days show (I found myself humming the song Dancing Days by Led Zeppelin - lol) looks like a hit & the food offerings at the Seven Seas festival look like they're trying to compete with some of the great offerings at a certain park just down the road. ;)

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby Satans Hockey » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:55 pm

Nice report! Glad to see someone else loving dolphin days as much as I did. I was down there for the first day of the new show and got to see the very first one and my gf and I both enjoyed it more than blue horizons. We both really loved the food festival as well, we ended up doing the 15 item deal and it lasted us for 3 trips since we didn't spend the whole day any of the days.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:50 am

I'm not all that interested in dolphin shows, but I am in that pork belly.

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby DrachenfireOP » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:12 am

The Seaworld/Busch parks really know how to crank out some amazing looking food for these festivals/events.

I really like Kraken, and I don't mind the current Kraken entrance. I'm really not a fan of VR so I'm glad these parks are making it optional. The VR always looks pretty cheesy, though I admit it's cool what they can do with technology. That, and I'm not fond of putting anything on my face that was just on someone else's face in the hot/humid weather of the southern US...

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!