SeaWorld Orlando (SWO) Discussion Thread

P. 581: Ray Racer to replace HooRoo Run at Aquatica in 2018!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I wrote the book about donkeys!

Re: SeaWorld Orlando (SWO) Discussion Thread

Postby Pyrozooka0 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:34 am

DILinator wrote:
coasterbill wrote:
TheCoasterKid211 wrote:
AUWent wrote:Can someone give me some good news about Orlando parks right now?

https://rcdb.com/14554.htm

:nina:
Fun Spot is always the right answer

:nina: :nina: :nina:

Amen, and Amen!!!

I sometimes wonder how the bigger parks haven't managed to "strangle" the Fun Spots out of existence... But I sure am glad they haven't.
My love for B&M Hypers is matched only by my hatred of Ninja (SFOG).
Credit Count: 55 (Latest: Fury 325)
Favorite Steel: F325
Favorite Wood: GASM at SFOG

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:59 am

Fun Spot isn't competing with the bigger parks. They're positioning themselves as an affordable option for families after those parks close, or on days when people are looking to kill a few hours after they fly in or before the fly out of Orlando.

Not only are the big parks not a threat to Fun Spot, they're actually vital to their existence.

Challenge me at Donkey Kong...I dare ya!

Postby djcoastermark » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:32 pm

^ Plus it's just a , ahem, fun spot for us locals to drop in for a quick coaster fix without spending a day or fortune.

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby JJLehto » Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:48 pm

coasterbill wrote:Fun Spot isn't competing with the bigger parks. They're positioning themselves as an affordable option for families after those parks close, or on days when people are looking to kill a few hours after they fly in or before the fly out of Orlando.

Not only are the big parks not a threat to Fun Spot, they're actually vital to their existence.

It's a place I'd like to check out, likely as part of a trip to Sea World. Mako looks pretty fun and not been there in ages. Since I'm in FL now I at least am much closer to Orlando! The GF is always taking trips to see college friends in St Pete, can finally stop at BGT as well and ride Sheikra (and all the others I missed) when she's spending a day.
Been a while man, how are ya?
Wicked Cyclone, Millennium Force, Skyrush, I305, El Toro, Bizarro (SF:NE), Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Maverick, Storm Runner
2017 parks: Universal Studios/IoA, Cedar Point

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Location: Ypsilanti, MI (four hours closer to CP than my old home)

Postby cparkes92 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:06 pm

IMHO, Fun Spot is more trying to be like a slightly larger version of those go-kart parks you see in Pigeon Forge, Wisconsin Dells, and Branson
Top 10 steel: Millennium Force, Maverick, Incredible Hulk, Banshee, Diamondback, Raptor, Top Thrill Dragster, Valravn, GateKeeper, Kraken
Top 10 wood: Mystic Timbers, Shivering Timbers, Beast, Racer (KI), Viper, American Eagle, Woodstock Express, Mean Streak (RIP), Wolverine Wildcat, Blue Streak (CP)

Girls don't like me because I can play RCT better than you

Postby TheCoasterKid211 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:06 pm

cparkes92 wrote:IMHO, Fun Spot is more trying to be like a slightly larger version of those go-kart parks you see in Pigeon Forge, Wisconsin Dells, and Branson

That's an insult to Fun Spot, you realize.
| |Alpengeist| |Cheetah Hunt| |Kumba| |Mako| |Intimidator 305| |
"Yeah, I like coasters. Yes, I'm a kid. Don't know what the 211 means, but whatever." Check out my TR thread!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:27 am

JJLehto wrote:
coasterbill wrote:Fun Spot isn't competing with the bigger parks. They're positioning themselves as an affordable option for families after those parks close, or on days when people are looking to kill a few hours after they fly in or before the fly out of Orlando.

It's a place I'd like to check out, likely as part of a trip to Sea World. Mako looks pretty fun and not been there in ages. Since I'm in FL now I at least am much closer to Orlando! The GF is always taking trips to see college friends in St Pete, can finally stop at BGT as well and ride Sheikra (and all the others I missed) when she's spending a day.
Been a while man, how are ya?

Doing well! How have you been?

And yeah, I highly recommend paying Fun Spot a visit. I've heard it attracts less than stellar crowds on Friday and Saturday nights (though I can't confirm this personally) but otherwise it's a very nice, well maintained little park. The Go Kart tracks are great, the flat rides all run great cycles (that Paratrooper in Orlando... wtf?) and the coasters are a lot of fun. Prior to Mine Blower I would have only recommended the Orlando Fun Spot and not the Kissimmee one (unless you wanted to ride the 300 foot Sky Coaster), but this should really help balance things out. Also, they have a season beer cup and that alone makes them amazing.

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby CoasterDirected » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:39 am

More Florida Park list just keeps growing. I wasn't able to go when I went last fall and stuck to Sea World and BGT, but I really need to get out to the Funspots when I come back to Disney for Star Wars and Toy Story Land (and everything else because I've only been to MK)
Top 10 Favorite Coasters
Steel:
1. Fury 325 2. Maverick 3. Millennium Force 4. New Texas Giant 5. Mako 6. Top Thrill Dragster 7. Cheetah Hunt 8. Diamondback 9. Banshee 10. Storm Chaser
Wood:
1. Goliath 2. Outlaw Run 3. Voyage 4. Mystic Timbers 5. Thunderhead 6. Beast 7. Boss 8. Cornball Express 9. Legend 10. American Thunder

2 + 2 = donkey!

Postby bgtlover » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:09 pm

I finally was able to ride Mako Saturday. Last time I went the ride went down and didn't reopen that day. I will say it's the best hyper I've been on (previous fav was Apollo's Chariot). It's now my #2 coaster behind Fury 325 @ Carowinds. Of the 2 rides I had on Mako, the trim was barely noticeable on the 1st ride. The 2nd ride was more noticeable, but allowed the smaller hill before the MCBR have a nice extra pop of airtime. It also flew through the MCBR both times. It was only about 65 degrees so I can imagine them engaging a bit more when it's hot. Each hill had me out of my seat. I sat back row, far left seat both times. I'm glad they let me choose the last row since they were assigning seats. I waited about 10 minutes each time. Had I not been pressed for time I would have rode more.

My only complaints with the park that day was the fact they didn't open the Shark Realm area until 10 (park opened at 9). Is this normal for a Saturday...during Spring Break? I can see during the week when it's not forecast to be as busy. I've been going to the park for 10 years and have never seen this when I've gone. It just seems odd the area with the newest major attraction wasn't open (while yes I know it's been open almost a year). We were among the first to arrive in the park at opening too. I had a short window of time to get it in as I had other engagements outside the park for lunch and beyond. Also the 10am showing of Dolphin Days as scheduled on the website was cancelled so I didn't get to see it. I'll be back soon. We did ride Empire Of The Penguin and it was better than the first time I rode it when it first opened. We usually skip it since it usually has a 60+ min wait and not worth it for such a short ride, but had only a 5 minute wait since the park just opened. Of course they were having technical difficulties as we entered the area where they sort you for about 20 minutes. We waited since the attractions we came to do weren't open yet.
Current Coaster Count: 86
Top 10:
1-Fury 325...2-Mako...3-Kraken...4-Montu... 5-Afterburn...6-Cheetah Hunt...7-Thunderhead...8-Manta...9-Volcano...10-Alpengeist

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Location: Ypsilanti, MI (four hours closer to CP than my old home)

Postby cparkes92 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:46 pm

TheCoasterKid211 wrote:
cparkes92 wrote:IMHO, Fun Spot is more trying to be like a slightly larger version of those go-kart parks you see in Pigeon Forge, Wisconsin Dells, and Branson

That's an insult to Fun Spot, you realize.

Never been to either Fun Spot park despite going to Orlando in March almost every year for the last 15 years
Top 10 steel: Millennium Force, Maverick, Incredible Hulk, Banshee, Diamondback, Raptor, Top Thrill Dragster, Valravn, GateKeeper, Kraken
Top 10 wood: Mystic Timbers, Shivering Timbers, Beast, Racer (KI), Viper, American Eagle, Woodstock Express, Mean Streak (RIP), Wolverine Wildcat, Blue Streak (CP)

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!