SeaWorld Orlando (SWO) Discussion Thread

P. 578: Kraken Unleashed Media Preview photos & video posted
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Re: SeaWorld Orlando (SWO) Discussion Thread

Postby AUWent » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:25 pm

Hilltopper39 wrote:
SharkTums wrote:^&^^ I'm not sure I do get it. I don't think changing all of their shows into educational program type shows is working for reversing their attendance losses. The people that are stupid enough to boycott the park aren't going to magically come back because they changed the dolphin show or the orca show. I feel like Sea World is really in a precarious position right now and they're not quite sure what to do to fix it.

Yeah I meant I get it from the standpoint of it either being a budget cut or as part of their image shift, but I'm with you in that I'm not sure it will do anything to reverse their attendance issues. I'm sure it was frustrating that they opened Mako in a year when Orlando park attendance in general was considered to be somewhat stagnant.

Like I said, it's especially sad given the great lineup of coasters SWO and BG have. Reading this board the past few weeks has gotten really depressing, concerning Central Florida parks between Universal's apparent screen-ification (if they replace Dragons it'd better be with a physical/outdoor ride) and SW/BG's tailspin. GIHBF! :x

Am I allowed to eat donkey during lent?

Location: dimension not only of sight & sound but parabolic airtime hills/g-spot orgasms

Postby DirkFunk » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:02 am

I honestly don't get the internet's opinion. The ride has had a broken narrative now for probably a decade with the screens in the queue having been shut off in the early to mid 2000s. They eliminated it and got rid of the story entirely, which, by the way, is something that most of the all time great, classic attractions never had, like Pirates or Haunted Mansion. They're going primarily with just a basic environment and music. And people are...mad? You guys actually liked the seahorse more just because it was something to laugh at?

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Hilltopper39 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:10 am

TheCoasterKid211 wrote:Please just put that entire storyline out of it's misery. What this thing needs is VR refurb.

Fixed.....

Postby coasterbill » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:31 am

DirkFunk wrote:I honestly don't get the internet's opinion. The ride has had a broken narrative now for probably a decade with the screens in the queue having been shut off in the early to mid 2000s. They eliminated it and got rid of the story entirely, which, by the way, is something that most of the all time great, classic attractions never had, like Pirates or Haunted Mansion. They're going primarily with just a basic environment and music. And people are...mad? You guys actually liked the seahorse more just because it was something to laugh at?

I don't disagree with you, but I still think there's a big difference between functioning effects and animations and stationary ones. I came across a POV of it last night and while it still seems like a great ride, you definitely notice the changes in a big way. You're right about the nonsensical storyline but that doesn't really bother me with dark rides, there are plenty of rides in Orlando alone with nonsensical storylines and nobody seems to mind.

Location: dimension not only of sight & sound but parabolic airtime hills/g-spot orgasms

Postby DirkFunk » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:43 am

coasterbill wrote:
DirkFunk wrote:I honestly don't get the internet's opinion. The ride has had a broken narrative now for probably a decade with the screens in the queue having been shut off in the early to mid 2000s. They eliminated it and got rid of the story entirely, which, by the way, is something that most of the all time great, classic attractions never had, like Pirates or Haunted Mansion. They're going primarily with just a basic environment and music. And people are...mad? You guys actually liked the seahorse more just because it was something to laugh at?

I don't disagree with you, but I still think there's a big difference between functioning effects and animations and stationary ones. I came across a POV of it last night and while it still seems like a great ride, you definitely notice the changes in a big way. You're right about the nonsensical storyline but that doesn't really bother me with dark rides, there are plenty of rides in Orlando alone with nonsensical storylines and nobody seems to mind.

I'm still lost. Is the scene in Pirates where you cruise past a static scene of a skeleton in a bed bad now, or is it still good because later there's cannons?

Postby coasterbill » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:57 am

I guess I don't really care about storylines as much as most people do. I'd argue that Forbidden Journey (one of the greatest dark rides in the history of dark rides) makes absolutely no sense, whatsoever. As an "enthusiast" I guess I should pretend that I view these rides on a more intellectual level than most and really focus on the complexities of the storylines but in the end, I really don't care. Show me some animatronics that move, show me some cool effects, distract me some cool shiny objects... I really don't care if it makes sense. If I spent more time around the Orlando parks I might put more of an emphasis on these things but since I spend most of my time around regional park dark rides like Blazing Fury, Black Diamond, Pirates of Wildwood (lol) and Boo Blasters I stopped caring about these rides making sense a long time ago. I just want effects that work and do cool sh*t.

2 + 2 = donkey!

Postby Cyrbuzz » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:41 am

I noticed no discussion on the recent Chinese purchase of Blackstone's stake in the company. What are your thoughts on this? Can they turn this thing around where Blackstone and Manby have failed? I hope this means a brighter future for Sea World Parks.

Postby DirkFunk » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:14 pm

Cyrbuzz wrote:I noticed no discussion on the recent Chinese purchase of Blackstone's stake in the company. What are your thoughts on this? Can they turn this thing around where Blackstone and Manby have failed? I hope this means a brighter future for Sea World Parks.

They're gonna provide financial relief. If they replace Manby, who are they gonna put in his place that's any better? What is it about a Chinese development firm that can change the American perception of animal shows? They probably were looking at buying the license for SeaWorld and realized simply acquiring 21% of the company was a better option than paying the licensing in perpetuity.

I own the website www.donkey.com

Postby djcoastermark » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:31 pm

Chinese knockoff rides and coasters coming to a park soon ?

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby RAWKIN_coaster38 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:17 pm

I just keep seeing all these videos about the pregnant whale and how her baby will be the last orca calf and it just makes me so angry and sad. That sad excuse for a documentary ruined what really marked my childhood, and Seaworld is listening to the demands of those people who won't attend the park anyway! In my lifetime I'll likely see a world with no orcas in captivity, so I will not be able to bring children and grandchildren to see and wonder up close at the animals that enthralled me as a child and sparked my imagination and passion for so long.

Progress? Depends on who you ask. But I don't think so and every one of these "positive steps" that Seaworld is making which are really just desperate moves to appease the Blackfish people kill me a little more inside.

We'll see how this new dolphin show will go. :x :cry:
“If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?”

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!