SeaWorld Orlando (SWO) Discussion Thread

P. 593: Electric Ocean Media Event report posted!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Re: SeaWorld Orlando (SWO) Discussion Thread

Postby boldikus » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:18 am

Trackmaster wrote:I visited this park yesterday and everything was an absolute walk on. Ironically I brought the quick queue, and it was so worthless that the line attendants stopped even checking. I pretty much only used it so that I walk in through the shorter queue and not walk by unused queue lines.

No offense, but that's not irony, that's just stupidity. I sound like a broken record by this point about this, but THIS is exactly why you don't buy skip-the-lines in advance. What makes it worse is if you just poked around a bit on this thread most people would have told you that you wouldn't need it @ Seaworld.

Trackmaster wrote: It pretty much as the undisputed best coaster in Florida (Mako).

Admittedly I love Mako to death but you better watch your mouth around here with statements like that. :lol:

What's with the donkeys anyway?

Postby Trackmaster » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:24 am

boldikus wrote:
Trackmaster wrote:I visited this park yesterday and everything was an absolute walk on. Ironically I brought the quick queue, and it was so worthless that the line attendants stopped even checking. I pretty much only used it so that I walk in through the shorter queue and not walk by unused queue lines.

No offense, but that's not irony, that's just stupidity. I sound like a broken record by this point about this, but THIS is exactly why you don't buy skip-the-lines in advance. What makes it worse is if you just poked around a bit on this thread most people would have told you that you wouldn't need it @ Seaworld.

Trackmaster wrote: It pretty much as the undisputed best coaster in Florida (Mako).

Admittedly I love Mako to death but you better watch your mouth around here with statements like that. :lol:

Well, I hurt my knee the other day, and wanted to whatever I could to minimize standing around. This was an extreme case where there NO lines, but usually on dead days, I'll at least wait here and there.

I recently moved to Miami from Boston, so I guess that the Orlando parks are kind of my home parks, despite how long it takes to get around Miami traffic, and how long it takes to get there.

I appreciate the hell out of the theming of a lot of the Disney rides, but let's face it, from a raw coaster standpoint, there isn't exactly a whole lot of airtime, speed, or intensity.

The only coaster that I could see in the argument as a truly great coaster in the same category as Mako may be Cheetah Run, but I haven't been to BGT since it was added. I just love Maverick so much that I want to give any blitz coaster a chance to match its greatness. Unfortunately there aren't a lot of wooden coasters, so there isn't a lot of room from RMC converstion, but I think that with Sea World's light crowds, they would be an excellant candidate for a raptor. I could also see it fitting in well with the marine life theme.
Last edited by Trackmaster on Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:28 am.

"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Postby RollerManic » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:25 am

boldikus wrote:

You know, if they had left the trims off the return camelback, I don't think that would be such a bold statement ... I love Mako to death too.
Last edited by RollerManic on Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:04 am.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:27 am

Yeah I don't know about "undisputed", I love Mako to death but I can think of quite a few coasters in Florida I prefer. To each his own though. I could absolutely see why someone would find Mako the best coaster in Florida. I definitely prefer a handful of coasters at BGT, Mummy, a certain yeti infested mountain at Animal Kingdom and a flying coaster on the other side of the same park but that's just me. ;)

Then again... I'm awful at ranking coasters. If you ask me what my favorite coaster in Florida is every day for 3 days you might get 3 different answers between Montu, Kumba and Everest. It's insane how many awesome coasters and rides are all located within 90 minutes of each other and I'm jealous of everyone that lives there.

Postby Trackmaster » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:33 am

coasterbill wrote:Yeah I don't know about "undisputed", I love Mako to death but I can think of quite a few coasters in Florida I prefer. To each his own though. I could absolutely see why someone would find Mako the best coaster in Florida. I definitely prefer a handful of coasters at BGT, Mummy, a certain yeti infested mountain at Animal Kingdom and a flying coaster on the other side of the same park but that's just me. ;)

Then again... I'm awful at ranking coasters. If you ask me what my favorite coaster in Florida is every day for 3 days you might get 3 different answers between Montu, Kumba and Everest.

Well, I've been out of the game for several years. I was a big enthusiast in my teen years, off and on for about 10 years, and have been getting more recently into it. My coaster is 233, but many of them I haven't ridden in a while. I've only ridden three B&M hypers, and I could see how if you've ridden a lot, you would be a bit de-sensitized by them. I thought that it was just OK as I rode it in the middle first, then the front -- I was getting a little skeptical by that point -- but then I rode it on the back. From that point on, I know every lap was going to have to be in the back. Its an airtime machine back there. Even after the MCBR you get great forces.

So maybe when I say "undisputed" its an existential battle within my facilities and mind that I'm referring to. I know that everyone has their own preferences.

Postby Trackmaster » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:34 am

RollerManic wrote:
boldikus wrote:

You know, if they had left the trims off the return camelback, I don’t think that would be such a bold statement ... I already love that coaster to death too.

The only benefit to that trim brake, is that B&M assumed that it was safe to have a sharp drop after it. So in the back, you get the best airtime of the ride on it, as you're going through the steep drop so fast. But anyways, its bizarre to have it on a two train coaster. Completely unneeded.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:35 am

:lol: No need to defend it. If it's your favorite then that's great! My favorite coaster is Millennium Force and Brit's favorite is Gatekeeper and approximately 100% of people think we're nuts (and they're likely right). Mako's a great ride.

Postby Trackmaster » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:42 am

coasterbill wrote::lol: No need to defend it. If it's your favorite then that's great! My favorite coaster is Millennium Force and Brit's favorite is Gatekeeper and approximately 100% of people think we're nuts (and they're likely right). Mako's a great ride.

No no no. Not my favorite coaster, probably not top five. Just in Florida. Like you, its very tough to rank coasters. I prefer to rank parks if anything, but even that's tough. It was SROS@SFNE at one point in time, but it hasn't really aged great and the new restraints don't help. Last time I rode it was when it was Bizarro, and hated the VR. Ironically, it may just be Wicked Cyclone now (as they're both in the same, run of the mill park, when I've actually been to tons of parks), as its the only RMC I've been on. I guess until I knock out by big rust belt/Canada trip it stands at MF or WC.

I don't like to make expectations before riding a coaster or anything like that... and I'm firm on that. So let's just say that SeVen may just end up giving everything else a run for its money. But who knows, I don't like to speak authoritatively about coasters I've haven't even ridden once.

I'm sure that if Florida ever got an RMC, it would would give Mako a run for its money as #1 in Florida.

"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Postby RollerManic » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:09 am

coasterbill wrote:Yeah I don't know about "undisputed", I love Mako to death but I can think of quite a few coasters in Florida I prefer. To each his own though. I could absolutely see why someone would find Mako the best coaster in Florida. I definitely prefer a handful of coasters at BGT, Mummy, a certain yeti infested mountain at Animal Kingdom and a flying coaster on the other side of the same park but that's just me. ;)

Then again... I'm awful at ranking coasters. If you ask me what my favorite coaster in Florida is every day for 3 days you might get 3 different answers between Montu, Kumba and Everest. It's insane how many awesome coasters and rides are all located within 90 minutes of each other and I'm jealous of everyone that lives there.

I should have said it as I would have no problem with the statement. I find myself asking the same questions often. Although I do feel confidently that Mako is the best "traditional" coaster in at least Florida. Several other themed coasters at Disney and Universal are BETTER rides I think but they are a completely different ride experience so I tend to exclude them.

Postby Trackmaster » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:25 am

RollerManic wrote:

I should have said it as I would have no problem with the statement. I find myself asking the same questions often. Although I do feel confidently that Mako is the best "traditional" coaster in at least Florida. Several other themed coasters at Disney and Universal are BETTER rides I think but they are a completely different ride experience so I tend to exclude them.

I feel like Disney and Universal are both very fun start to stop experiences throughout the whole day, but they don't exactly have coasters I can point to and say "these are world class great coasters." Disney has a lot of interesting experiences, shows, and interactive attractions that add up to a great day at the park. The rides are enjoyable for most part too. But if you plopped a ride of Thunder Mountain or Rock n' Roller Coaster in the middle of a basic Six Flags park as "Joker: the Jinx of Doom" with a parking lot in the background, you'd be bored pretty easily. I like Space Mountain, but I don't feel comfortable giving it a ranking of any sort.

And for Universal, the Hulk is great, as is RRR but besides that, none of the coasters really stand out. But again, with all that there is to do there, I can still have very fun days there.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!