TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

SeaWorld Orlando (SWO) Discussion Thread

P. 276: Penguin Trek construction update!

I will say it is nice to see a new rapids ride be built. The usual water rides are becoming less and less common it seems. I doubt anybody in Virginia or wherever is like LETS GO TO FLORIDA FOR THE NEW RAPIDS RIDE but it will be a cool ride to ride whenever I go to SWO for the first time.

Forget Virginia (or wherever), nobody who lives in Central Florida is going to care either unless they already have a SeaWorld season pass anyway. Disney and Universal both have amazing rapids rides and Busch Gardens Tampa has had a rapids ride since 1982. I know sometimes enthusiasts give people too much credit when it comes to picking up similarities in rides but I feel like people know what a rapids ride is and they're not going to care. They'll ride it impulsively when they're at the park and they're hot but if someone is driving down I-4 and they see an Infinity Falls billboard wedged between the Harry Potter billboard and the Star Wars billboard I assure you that they're not going to care.

...They'll ride it impulsively when they're at the park and they're hot but if someone is driving down I-4 and they see an Infinity Falls billboard wedged between the Harry Potter billboard and the Star Wars billboard I assure you that they're not going to care.

f7FdEdG.jpg

I will say it is nice to see a new rapids ride be built. The usual water rides are becoming less and less common it seems. I doubt anybody in Virginia or wherever is like LETS GO TO FLORIDA FOR THE NEW RAPIDS RIDE but it will be a cool ride to ride whenever I go to SWO for the first time.

Forget Virginia (or wherever), nobody who lives in Central Florida is going to care either unless they already have a SeaWorld season pass anyway. Disney and Universal both have amazing rapids rides and Busch Gardens Tampa has had a rapids ride since 1982. I know sometimes enthusiasts give people too much credit when it comes to picking up similarities in rides but I feel like people know what a rapids ride is and they're not going to care. They'll ride it impulsively when they're at the park and they're hot but if someone is driving down I-4 and they see an Infinity Falls billboard wedged between the Harry Potter billboard and the Star Wars billboard I assure you that they're not going to care.

Oh yeah people definitely know the similarities of water rides. I mean there's only three types that are universally at most parks.

Forget Virginia (or wherever), nobody who lives in Central Florida is going to care either

I've ridden Kali River Rapids once since I moved here in 2011 and Bluto's I haven't been on since I moved to Orlando.

And these two rapids rides are MY ABSOLUTE FAVORITE RAPIDS RIDES!!!

The walls weren't down on Monday, but the gift shop across from it was open and already selling Infinity Falls t-shirts. I wonder if anyone would buy one before the ride opens.

Yes. Numerous people (including passholders who got a special deal on one recently) have bought them. I was there Saturday and quite a bit were being sold along with other IF souvenirs.

Whether or not the park needed a rapids ride, it would have been nice to have it open when I was there on Saturday as it was hotter than hell. I rarely ride these type rides, but would have that visit since it's new (I've been going to BGT since '07 and have never been on Congo River Rapids...lol). A place called "SeaWorld" should have had more water rides long before now. They are just now catching up to the other 2 SW parks with this.

The ride looks great. I don't understand why it's there or why they think this will draw a single person to the park but I mean... it's pretty.

Sums up my thoughts perfectly. I see nothing wrong with this attraction at all. But I can't think of the last time a rapids ride is something that made people go out of their way to create an extra click through a turnstile.

The last time would probably have been Grand Rapids, at Michigan's Adventure - which really is more of a testament to how rare an actual substantial addition to that park is, than it is indicating Rapids rides draw people in!

I know it's been said a bunch of times before but I really wish they would put these rides at water parks. I absolutely love rapids and shoot the chutes water rides but there's nothing worse than walking around in wet shoes and socks all day. This ride looks absolutely amazing though but I just wish it was at Aquatica instead.

When we went to Cedar Point and stayed at breakers a few weeks ago we went on snake river falls right after the water park and went on a few times because there was no line and got absolutely drenched and went back to the hotel right after to change into dry clothes and it was perfect. Would have gone on their rapids ride as well but it was closed for the fright stuff.

Here is a look at the ride and the area now that the walls are down. It is really nicely done and does a good job of 'engaging' people even if they don't ride the ride. Sea World and Busch Gardens seems to do this very well with their rides.

42975336170_1b06603827_b.jpg

30915665148_392252e256_b.jpg

29850073357_31f134fca5_b.jpg

44066671484_9ec077f526_b.jpg

44736785192_3f78834046_b.jpg

44066250514_f769a94621_b.jpg

29849164127_73503a781a_b.jpg

44735473872_6b004d6210_b.jpg

44065829964_5f1a8d0dcb_b.jpg

43875641365_d366368cea_b.jpg

43875613085_3f00908e76_b.jpg

29848974847_d64e64f1ff_b.jpg

44735590212_f50f0469c0_b.jpg

29849781987_e1c09f8c96_b.jpg

43876360965_91eb471a98_b.jpg

30915317428_98bf9e1554_b.jpg

Considering this has a massive drop and those are usually total soakers, I think that waterfall is the least of anyone's worries.

Is it REALLY "massive" though. It's 39 feet. 9 feet taller than Kali River Rapids. I get that technically it's the "tallest rapids ride drop" but is anyone REALLY going to notice that much of a difference from Kali's drop? Or even Bluto's. I mean, it's a rapids ride, so waterfall or no waterfall I don't expect to come off dry or even just a little "moist."

I agree 9 feet more than Kali isn't something most people would notice unless pointed out. Maybe appreciable would have been a better way to describe it. Anytime I've been on a rapids ride with a full-size drop like Kali, Grizzly, or RiverQuest, the resulting splash is the most soaking part of the ride. That's what I was trying to get at.

I love water and rapids rides. One of the major reasons I usually just wear my swimtrunks when I go to parks nowadays. And this one looks quite impressive.

However, I am in agreemant with just about everyone on the draw of this kind of attraction. I can't think of a time when I have heard anyone say, "I have to go to that park because of the rapids ride!" I think that it's a staple of theme parks worldwide, but definitely not the reason for visiting.

I haven't been to this park in a while, since before Manta was built. I definitely will check it out the next time I am down in Orlando. And since Jarett is going to be going to College down in Sarasota next Fall, it looks like I will have many excuses to go and visit him. Muah ha ha ha ha ha!

Nice pictures... really pretty! First thing I thought when I heard the media day was in October was, "wait... why would anyone want to ride that... it would be too cold out." Forgot Florida is always warm.

However, what intrigues me is how they've managed to create a modernistic, yet tropical and rocky vibe to the entire area. Really came together nicely, and definitely excited to ride.

And since Jarett is going to be going to College down in Sarasota next Fall, it looks like I will have many excuses to go and visit him. Muah ha ha ha ha ha!

The boy is college age, wow. I remember meeting you with him at Dollywood when he was a wee lad. I guess that was over ten years ago.