California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

Pg 1122 - CGA Haunt Media Event!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

Postby Canobie Coaster » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:48 am

The part I don't understand during the story is the robbers used tasers. Doesn't CGA have metal detectors entering the park?
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire, El Toro
Top 5 Steel- Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Fury 325, Twisted Colossus, Twisted Timbers
Top 5 Parks- Busch Gardens Williamsburg, Knoebels, Europa Park, Cedar Point, Disneyland
Most Recent Trip Report- Six Flags Mexico

A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Postby scooterdoug » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:10 am

Canobie Coaster wrote:The part I don't understand during the story is the robbers used tasers. Doesn't CGA have metal detectors entering the park?

Yes, they do. I’ve been scratching my head over that as well.
Aikido: Why fight when you can flow?

Postby coasterbill » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:11 am

If the park is going to inconvenience guests with metal detectors, is it too much to ask that the metal detectors catch people bringing f*cking tasers into the park? Otherwise, why have them?

On our way into Dorney last week I accidentally left my keys and phone in my pocket and neither of them set the thing off. Afterwards I joked that you could probably get a grenade launcher through a Cedar Fair metal detector. I've NEVER seen one go off at any of their parks since they got these new ones. They seem to be there to create the illusion of security and for no other reason.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:31 am

^ The other thing I love with the metal detectors is even if they do go off, half the time they just assume it's a belt and don't even make you take it off.

The only metal detectors I know work for sure are the ones at Universal
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire, El Toro
Top 5 Steel- Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Fury 325, Twisted Colossus, Twisted Timbers
Top 5 Parks- Busch Gardens Williamsburg, Knoebels, Europa Park, Cedar Point, Disneyland
Most Recent Trip Report- Six Flags Mexico

"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Postby CaptainUnknown » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:06 pm

coasterbill wrote:If the park is going to inconvenience guests with metal detectors, is it too much to ask that the metal detectors catch people bringing f*cking tasers into the park? Otherwise, why have them?

On our way into Dorney last week I accidentally left my keys and phone in my pocket and neither of them set the thing off. Afterwards I joked that you could probably get a grenade launcher through a Cedar Fair metal detector. I've NEVER seen one go off at any of their parks since they got these new ones. They seem to be there to create the illusion of security and for no other reason.

As someone who has worked with the CF metal detectors, it's very hit or miss. There was one guy that came in early in the day, his belt set it off, he left the park, and when he came back in later, silence from the detector. Other times, the detectors have reacted to absolutely nothing at all. So yeah, the metal detectors are more placebolic CYA than anything.
Sweet Screams are Made of This. Who Am I To Disagree?

Parks: 21
Credits: 104 (21 wood/83 steel)
Top Wood: Outlaw Run
Top Steel: Millennium Force

Challenge me at Donkey Kong...I dare ya!

Postby WestCoasterKing » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:02 pm

Screening large numbers of people through security checkpoints takes at lot of time and effort. Just look at airport or courthouse security. I've heard rumors of places that have installed barely functional or even fake detectors just for the appearance of security. They go by the theory that most people will be deterred from attempting anything just by the mere presence of security. They justify their actions by saying that people who actually intend to do harm will find a way despite security measures. Now I doubt that CF or any other large theme park goes by this philosophy. I think it's more likely that these folks simply found a way around the system because they intended to do harm.

I wish they would make Street Fighter Donkey.

Postby djcoastermark » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:03 am

I used to work on repair/maintenance of metal detectors. The sensitivity levels are set per the users standards. Ie, a courthouse has a much higher setting than say, a Chuck E Cheese. There are other variables too such as being able to mask metal objects so what may not have passed once will pass the next time. (again, sensitivity levels) Another factor is that the detectors do need to be regularly recalibrated. Again, that depends on the users needs of how secure and how often they need or want it to be. Basically a courthouse wants tight limits whereas an amusement park generally would have a more relaxed standard.

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby DorneyKid14 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:35 am

coasterbill wrote:If the park is going to inconvenience guests with metal detectors, is it too much to ask that the metal detectors catch people bringing f*cking tasers into the park? Otherwise, why have them?

Funny you bring Dorney into this...... a guest actually pulled a gun on an actor in one of the haunts a few weeks ago.
Favorite Steel: GateKeeper
Favorite Wood: Outlaw Run
Home Park: DPWWK
Steel: 76 Wood: 24
Total: 100 Parks: 16

Postby coasterbill » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:55 pm

Okay yeah... so calibration and sensitivity levels aside, if you can get guns and tasers through the metal detectors are they even plugged in? :lol:

How is there even a setting on a metal detector that makes it that completely useless?

Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Postby Mike240SX » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:04 pm

DorneyKid14 wrote:

Funny you bring Dorney into this...... a guest actually pulled a gun on an actor in one of the haunts a few weeks ago.

Source?

coasterbill wrote:Okay yeah... so calibration and sensitivity levels aside, if you can get guns and tasers through the metal detectors are they even plugged in? :lol:

How is there even a setting on a metal detector that makes it that completely useless?

TASER-branded devices (the type that actually shoot out the probes) are probably 90% plastic and wouldn't set off a metal detector that was set low enough to not activate at pocket change, as most theme parks' are.
-Mike
Total Coasters: 132
Top 10 Steel: Maverick, Skyrush, Intimidator 305, Banshee, Millennium Force, Raptor, Superman: The Ride (SFNE), Top Thrill Dragster, Big Bad Wolf, Volcano
Top 10 Wood: The Beast, El Toro, Phoenix (Knoebels), Boulder Dash, Thunderbolt (KW), Mystic Timbers, Comet (Hershey), Hercules, Shivering Timbers, Jack Rabbit (KW)
Top 5 Hybrid: Goliath (SFGAm), Wicked Cyclone, Great White, Gemini, Cedar Creek Mine Ride

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!