California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

Pg 1122 - CGA Haunt Media Event!
Users viewing this topic: edgeboy, Rougarou and 7 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

Postby coasterbill » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:57 am

thrillseeker4552 wrote:Does anyone know what rides are open for Winterfest this year? I searched around their website and couldn’t find a list. I’m thinking of heading up there for the first time in December to get some final use out of my Platinum Pass before the end of the year. Thanks in advance.

It's up now. It looks about the same as last year but they've added Patriot. I was hoping they would do that since it's right up front. Solid move.

Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Donkey.

Postby WayCool64 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:15 pm

coasterbill wrote:
thrillseeker4552 wrote:Does anyone know what rides are open for Winterfest this year? I searched around their website and couldn’t find a list. I’m thinking of heading up there for the first time in December to get some final use out of my Platinum Pass before the end of the year. Thanks in advance.

It's up now. It looks about the same as last year but they've added Patriot. I was hoping they would do that since it's right up front. Solid move.

I'm disappointed that they're not opening Mass Effect during WinterFest again. There are possibilities to utilize it during the event (Especially given that it's a 4D simulator ride that has re-programmable software and the ride itself has a specific theme of a fictional travel agency). I dunno if it's a cost issue or what, but if they have the area open with Delirium running, why not have ME open?

Well, at least we have Patriot now along with some of the other rides.
Love animation and video games? Check out my Dinosaur Planet fanseries project: http://dpfanseries.webs.com/

To serve with excellence

Postby thrillseeker4552 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:23 pm

Looks good. I’m just waiting for this park to become year-round. I’m sure once they expand a bit more and draw more crowds, Cedar Fair will make the decision.

I think I’ll hold off my visit until the Summer, that way I won’t be missing out on Demon, Grizzly, Psycho Mouse, and Railblazer. Compared to other Cedar Fair parks, though, that’s a solid Winter line-up, with both B&Ms, their star attraction, and several family rides all open.
Credits: 170
Top 5: (1) Skyrush (2) Fury 325 (3) Intimidator 305 (4) El Toro (5) Maverick
Instagram @west.coast.thrills

Postby coasterbill » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:54 am

thrillseeker4552 wrote:Compared to other Cedar Fair parks, though, that’s a solid Winter line-up, with both B&Ms, their star attraction, and several family rides all open.

I mean, kind of... but the Six Flags park an hour away is completely open year-round. :lol:

Cedar Fair needs to up their game.

Full Fledged Donkey Enthusiast!

Postby moviemansig » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:20 pm

Here is a trip report for last Saturday. A little after opening, Gold Striker, Patriot, and Flight Deck all weren't up-and-running. Thankfully, they all opened later on. I thought Patriot (which I rode for the first time) was smoother compared to Vortex and I liked how your legs are dangling now compared to when you were standing before. I still thought the ride would be even better, though. I found Mass Effect (which I also did for the first time) to be a very sensory experience with things coming at you from the screen and the seats moving back-and-forth. It was visually appealing and entertaining. The only ride closed for the entire day was Rip Roaring Rapids. The lines were on the short side.

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby anonymouscactus » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:28 pm

Just an ultra quick report from Sunday (my first time ever at the park)

- Haunts: got through all the mazes. Overall not that great. Actors need a LOT of work here. Still better than Magic Mountain, though. Also: the homemade hungry hungry hippo "animatronic" may be my new favorite prop to ever exist in a haunted maze... lol. And god damn that toy house song. I want to hate it, but wow does it get stuck in your head...

- Gold Striker: WOW!!! I had no idea what to expect and had my first ride on it at night and I was completely blown away. I'm surprised I don't hear more about this ride; absolutely no complaints about it. Great layout and it never lets up. I liked it better than Ghostrider and Apocalypse (which I also thought were GREAT rides)

- Patriot: too much head banging and too short. Sorry, but I wasn't a fan. Better as a floorless than as a stand-up, I'm guessing.

- Flight Deck: walk of shame :( :( :(
[I wasn't even close... what's up with that? I made all other B&Ms in California with no issue]

- Demon / grizzly / other coasters: due to extrenuating circumstances I didn't get to do all the rides I wanted to so I don't have an opinion on them.

- Mass Effect: It was definitely interesting (especially for a Cedar Fair park), but not quite my thing. No reason to ride it again.

The haunt atmosphere wasn't terrible, but it didn't really stand out either. The entrance plaza with all the fire was nice. I have no interest in going back for haunt anytime soon, but I'm really curious what Demon Reignited was like. I thought Viper was one of the worst rides at Magic Mountain and I'm generally not a fan of Arrows, but I was willing to give it a try; just couldn't make it happen.
Last edited by anonymouscactus on Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:08 pm.

I own the website www.donkey.com

Postby WestCoasterKing » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:36 pm

coasterbill wrote:Six Flags (Discovery Kingdom) an hour away (from CGA) is completely open year-round. :lol:

I've often said this. Why is CGA a seasonal park? The Bay area gets zero snow and doesn't even get that cold.

Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Donkey.

Postby WayCool64 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:11 pm

WestCoasterKing wrote:
coasterbill wrote:Six Flags (Discovery Kingdom) an hour away (from CGA) is completely open year-round. :lol:

I've often said this. Why is CGA a seasonal park? The Bay area gets zero snow and doesn't even get that cold.

I believe once the Masterplan is well into effect and by the time the new entertainment district is built, they'll most likely turn it into a year round park.
Love animation and video games? Check out my Dinosaur Planet fanseries project: http://dpfanseries.webs.com/

To serve with excellence

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby CaptainUnknown » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:12 pm

Another one bites the dust. RIP Logger's Run 1976-October 29, 2018. :cry:
Sweet Screams are Made of This. Who Am I To Disagree?

Parks: 21
Credits: 101 (20 wood/81 steel)
Top Wood: Outlaw Run
Top Steel: Millennium Force

Postby cal1br3tto » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:25 pm

^For shame! I enjoyed that one.

It's definitely concerning that log flumes, a classic theme park staple and refreshing water ride, really are disappearing left and right.
113 wood+501 steel=614|Boulder Dash|Coaster|X2|Maverick|Phoenix|Twisted Colossus|Storm Chaser|iRat|Kawasemi|NTag

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!