TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

That's...quite a lot going on visually with those cars. I almost feel like I'm not quite sure what I'm looking at.

Same here! It threw me off before I remembered it’s just one seat across. Also, the restraint is in the “up” position, which takes some mental gymnastics to visualize what they’ll look like when they’re down.

That's...quite a lot going on visually with those cars. I almost feel like I'm not quite sure what I'm looking at.

Same here! It threw me off before I remembered it’s just one seat across. Also, the restraint is in the “up” position, which takes some mental gymnastics to visualize what they’ll look like when they’re down.

The line for the front row is going to be so long on this!

The line for the front row is going to be so long on this!

I was thinking about this - There will surely be some different types of trends for in-line seating.

Will people favor riding by themselves in the front of different trains? Or riding with their groups throughout a single train?

Will there even be rows to wait for? Or will the operators just fill in seats from the general queue?

Part of me thinks that, even with Wonder Woman's moving station, Railblazer will still put through more people because Cedar Fair vs. Six Flags.

Also, I doubt there will be queue gates to wait in. My guess is they will pull from the general queue and fill up the trains since there really is no grouping involved.

Be sure to check out any Cedar Fair parks of interest for their Presidents Day Weekend sale. This one gets you one admission plus Fast Lane (CGA's only level), any day from March 24-September 9, for $64.99 total, and others I've seen are similar. Seems like a no-brainer for anyone seeking single-day tickets!

Personally, I think I'll shoot for a weekend trip to CGA and SCBB in May!

I was just on GA web cam and it appears to be a LED lighting package installed on Rail Blazers’ lift hill.

It was hard to see because it is really sunny.

Looks like chaser lights.

No chaser lights, what you may have seen were the anti rollbacks being installed (as they were mounted after the lift went up) or recently installed were these evenly spaced brackets below the lift for the catwalk and chain return trough.

Update, came across a close up pic of the lift :

Edited by NinjaTurtle

In case this hasn't been posted... I ran across a great video of the park from 1978. You can even catch a rare glimpse of the Gulf Coaster at about 2:05. I'm waiting for the day when someone dusts off some footage of (one of the) Tidal Wave(s) at night. Such a simple but effective light show. It would have white tracers at a normal pace, then go solid and start blinking when a train was launched, then everything turned a beautiful aqua blue when the train started heading backwards. Or was it reverse? Either way, it was awesome!

Quick question. Is it at all feasible to visit this park and Six Flags Discovery Kingdom in the same day on a Sunday in April assuming we get Flash Pass and Fastlane (since both are reasonably priced)?

Before someone pops in to tell me that rushing through theme parks is stupid and that I should spend a day at both parks, that's ABSOLUTELY the plan. We booked a flight on United yesterday since we got $50 fares from Newark to Sacramento. The downside is that we have a ridiculously short 42 minute layover in Denver. We "should" make it, in which case we'll visit one park on Saturday, the other park on Sunday and have Monday (when the parks are closed) to check out San Francisco. It's just nice to have a backup plan if United totally f*cks up.

Quick question. Is it at all feasible to visit this park and Six Flags Discovery Kingdom in the same day on a Sunday in April assuming we get Flash Pass and Fastlane (since both are reasonably priced)?

Before someone pops in to tell me that rushing through theme parks is stupid and that I should spend a day at both parks, that's ABSOLUTELY the plan. We booked a flight on United yesterday since we got $50 fares from Newark to Sacramento. The downside is that we have a ridiculously short 42 minute layover in Denver. We "should" make it, in which case we'll visit one park on Saturday, the other park on Sunday and have Monday (when the parks are closed) to check out San Francisco. It's just nice to have a backup plan if United totally f*cks up.

Yes, it's feasible (assuming you utilize skip the line passes, as you indicated you are). It will be a very rushed day. Expect a 2 hour drive between the two parks (perhaps a bit shorter, but rounding up leaves you some extra wiggle room). CGA will be open from 10-8, while SFDK will be open 10:30-7, except the first Sunday in April, when it will be open until 8. So, starting the day at SFDK, then heading down to CGA afterwards might afford you a bit more time in park. So, looking at a 9.5 hour day, and subtracting 2 hours in-between commute time, you're looking at roughly 3.5-4 hours in each park. They're not huge parks, so you should be able to hit all the rides you want in that time, perhaps with some re-rides in there as well.

Good luck with United, and enjoy our humble parks.

Yes, it's feasible (assuming you utilize skip the line passes, as you indicated you are). It will be a very rushed day. Expect a 2 hour drive between the two parks (perhaps a bit shorter, but rounding up leaves you some extra wiggle room). CGA will be open from 10-8, while SFDK will be open 10:30-7, except the first Sunday in April, when it will be open until 8. So, starting the day at SFDK, then heading down to CGA afterwards might afford you a bit more time in park. So, looking at a 9.5 hour day, and subtracting 2 hours in-between commute time, you're looking at roughly 3.5-4 hours in each park. They're not huge parks, so you should be able to hit all the rides you want in that time, perhaps with some re-rides in there as well.

Good luck with United, and enjoy our humble parks.

Agreed, except subtract half an hour in and half an hour out for SFDK, since the parking lot is stupidly far and Six Flags takes forever to get people through security/front gate.

Also, Britt will probably want to see the animals and you totally should! Skip the Vekomas at SFDK in favor of seeing the dolphin show, butterflies, and a lap around the park to look at the other animals. Also, if there aren't a lot of kids near the splash zone at Drench! that day, see if she can volunteer to be in the show. I've done it, it's legit (Unless she doesn't want to get soaked, in which case don't).