TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

Any predictions for what'll be replacing it?

I'm guessing:

-Upgraded Waterpark Entrance

-Upgraded Restaurant

-Water Coaster

-Mat Racer

-Slide Complex

-Every Slide getting new paint

-Additional shade

-Upgraded landscaping

Also, there would probably be a new name, any guesses for that?

I'm guessing:

-San Fransisco Shores

-California Harbor

-Riptide Cove

It's most likely the space will be used for something related to the waterpark. And I personally think it should be renamed Yankee Harbor since that's what part of the area used to be called when the park first opened, and I feel it'd be an interestingly nice throwback.

• 2 weeks later...

Just saw this article about an incident CGA's haunt last Saturday:

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/10/29/assaults-robberies-turn-great-america-into-real-life-scare/

Apparently, a large number of teens (initially estimated at around 100, since lowered to 15-20) robbed and assaulted guests before fleeing in waiting getaway cars. I assume the story will become clearer as time goes on. Unfortunately, this is perfect fodder for the media...definitely a dramatic story.

If the park is going to inconvenience guests with metal detectors, is it too much to ask that the metal detectors catch people bringing f*cking tasers into the park? Otherwise, why have them?

On our way into Dorney last week I accidentally left my keys and phone in my pocket and neither of them set the thing off. Afterwards I joked that you could probably get a grenade launcher through a Cedar Fair metal detector. I've NEVER seen one go off at any of their parks since they got these new ones. They seem to be there to create the illusion of security and for no other reason.

If the park is going to inconvenience guests with metal detectors, is it too much to ask that the metal detectors catch people bringing f*cking tasers into the park? Otherwise, why have them?

On our way into Dorney last week I accidentally left my keys and phone in my pocket and neither of them set the thing off. Afterwards I joked that you could probably get a grenade launcher through a Cedar Fair metal detector. I've NEVER seen one go off at any of their parks since they got these new ones. They seem to be there to create the illusion of security and for no other reason.

As someone who has worked with the CF metal detectors, it's very hit or miss. There was one guy that came in early in the day, his belt set it off, he left the park, and when he came back in later, silence from the detector. Other times, the detectors have reacted to absolutely nothing at all. So yeah, the metal detectors are more placebolic CYA than anything.

Screening large numbers of people through security checkpoints takes at lot of time and effort. Just look at airport or courthouse security. I've heard rumors of places that have installed barely functional or even fake detectors just for the appearance of security. They go by the theory that most people will be deterred from attempting anything just by the mere presence of security. They justify their actions by saying that people who actually intend to do harm will find a way despite security measures. Now I doubt that CF or any other large theme park goes by this philosophy. I think it's more likely that these folks simply found a way around the system because they intended to do harm.

I used to work on repair/maintenance of metal detectors. The sensitivity levels are set per the users standards. Ie, a courthouse has a much higher setting than say, a Chuck E Cheese. There are other variables too such as being able to mask metal objects so what may not have passed once will pass the next time. (again, sensitivity levels) Another factor is that the detectors do need to be regularly recalibrated. Again, that depends on the users needs of how secure and how often they need or want it to be. Basically a courthouse wants tight limits whereas an amusement park generally would have a more relaxed standard.

Funny you bring Dorney into this...... a guest actually pulled a gun on an actor in one of the haunts a few weeks ago.

Funny you bring Dorney into this...... a guest actually pulled a gun on an actor in one of the haunts a few weeks ago.

Source?

Okay yeah... so calibration and sensitivity levels aside, if you can get guns and tasers through the metal detectors are they even plugged in?

How is there even a setting on a metal detector that makes it that completely useless?

TASER-branded devices (the type that actually shoot out the probes) are probably 90% plastic and wouldn't set off a metal detector that was set low enough to not activate at pocket change, as most theme parks' are.

Source?

Okay yeah... so calibration and sensitivity levels aside, if you can get guns and tasers through the metal detectors are they even plugged in?

How is there even a setting on a metal detector that makes it that completely useless?

TASER-branded devices (the type that actually shoot out the probes) are probably 90% plastic and wouldn't set off a metal detector that was set low enough to not activate at pocket change, as most theme parks' are.

I use to work there and I know people who work there.