TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

I hate low capacity as much as anyone else does on here, but why not have like two or three smaller trains so that it'll be easier to push trains out and possibly boost capacity.

The Raptor capacity wouldn't be too bad if they have a dual loading platform (like TTD or Maverick) and run 4 trains at a time. Nobody will confuse it for a B&M, but a dual loading platform running 4 trains would keep the line moving fairly well. If Knott's gets the rumored Gerstlauer, I hope they build a dual loading platform there as well.

I'm not sure where else to post this, but this seems like the most relevant thread. Does anyone know if my Platinum All-Season Dining pass works at Gilroy Gardens? I know admission works with the Platinum Pass, so I assume my food plan works as well? I haven't been able to find much on either CGA's website nor GG's website. We're heading up to CGA for the first time next weekend, so we figure we might as well stop at GG if it doesn't cost any extra.

^ But even then before the announcements of track were to appear on site hen we could confirm what company it may be.

I'm pretty sure we're going to see construction starting in July, at that point we should be able to make a more for sure guess. Raptor would definitely fit with what we know, though (~100ft, compact footprint, etc.). Although I'd love a coaster with more capacity...

(FWIW, all the Cedar Fair announcements last year came around like August 18, and the KI tease had 816 in it, which is National roller coaster day. So, even if we can't guess, not too long before CF will confirm it).

16th is Kings Dominion, not Kings Island.

If you guys are worried about capacity, just go to the park after 8pm on weekdays.

Every park in the country (with the exception of the ones with magical talking mice) are dead on Thursdays at 8. But that's not an excuse to put in a low capacity attraction. Parks should build rides that cater to their worst crowds, not their best ones.

"Yeah, it's a great ride, as long as you ride in on a weekday!"

In other news, there are tire marks and more wooden stakes with "2018" and "SR1" on them now in the invertigarden. Any idea what the SR1 could mean?

After a quick google search, "SR1" is the code for Traffic accident report in the state of California. Possible theme maybe?

If you guys are worried about capacity, just go to the park after 8pm on weekdays.

Last Thursday there couldn't have been more than fifty people in the entire park from 8-10. So amazingly awesome not having to hear three million basketballs being bounced directly in my face all day long.

Hey now, with all the amazing rides coming over the next 10 years I expect the park to get much more crowded

But I really should come down after work some day. Actually, I'm going to be down the Peninsula for work tomorrow afternoon, maybe I should stop by after I'm done...

^ But even then before the announcements of track were to appear on site hen we could confirm what company it may be.

I'm pretty sure we're going to see construction starting in July, at that point we should be able to make a more for sure guess. Raptor would definitely fit with what we know, though (~100ft, compact footprint, etc.). Although I'd love a coaster with more capacity...

(FWIW, all the Cedar Fair announcements last year came around like August 18, and the KI tease had 816 in it, which is National roller coaster day. So, even if we can't guess, not too long before CF will confirm it).

16th is Kings Dominion, not Kings Island.

Eh, close enough! I'll bet a dollar we get a KI announcement then too

^ lol

In other news, there are tire marks and more wooden stakes with "2018" and "SR1" on them now in the invertigarden. Any idea what the SR1 could mean?

Sprototype Raptor 1?

After a quick google search, "SR1" is the code for Traffic accident report in the state of California. Possible theme maybe?

Traffic? Let's hope it's not a low capacity ride that makes traffic in the turn styles!

Here's a video I found on IG of the marks

I love "speculation" and "rumor" season in the theme park community . . . it's better than the holidays! But this particular tease is very intriguing . . . tire tracks? A launch coaster is still a possibility, but I don't believe an impulse at this time. 110ft is the proposed height . . . Wicked Twister at Cedar Point is 215ft . . . even Steel Venom at Valley Fair is at least 185ft. I'm leaning towards a Maverick clone, but STRONGLY towards a new type of coaster.

I love "speculation" and "rumor" season in the theme park community . . . it's better than the holidays! But this particular tease is very intriguing . . . tire tracks? A launch coaster is still a possibility, but I don't believe an impulse at this time. 110ft is the proposed height . . . Wicked Twister at Cedar Point is 215ft . . . even Steel Venom at Valley Fair is at least 185ft. I'm leaning towards a Maverick clone, but STRONGLY towards a new type of coaster.

Intamins newer impulse coaster model surf rider fits the 110ft specs. It's a snowboarding, skateboarding, surfing inspired ride from Intamins own literature on it. This happens to also fit with a recently trademarked name "Hangtime". I would bet on the surf rider impulse coaster

The amount of space (if you include the Whitewater Fall area) + the height + the quotes from Cedar Fair + these teases make me REALLY think a Maverick/Cheetah Hunt could happen.

But most likely it'll be some dumb shit like that launched mack spinner.

The amount of space (if you include the Whitewater Fall area) + the height + the quotes from Cedar Fair + these teases make me REALLY think a Maverick/Cheetah Hunt could happen.

But most likely it'll be some dumb shit like that launched mack spinner.

The amount of space isn't necessarily all for 2018, They have a long term plan and be prepping for both 2018 and the future while it's easier. What quote(s) from CF point to Maverick/Cheetah Hunt?

I was always betting on the Intamin Impulse - surf rider model, It fits with the "Hangtime" trademark and recently the stakes with SR1 2018.. SR1 - Surf Rider 2018.

Edited by chammonds96

To add more info as to when the meeting is, we already know it's the 5th of July, I believe it's the architectural committee meeting that starts at 7pm. Could always drop by and see if it'll be open to the public.

Anybody making it out to this today or know where it's at?

To add more info as to when the meeting is, we already know it's the 5th of July, I believe it's the architectural committee meeting that starts at 7pm. Could always drop by and see if it'll be open to the public.

Anybody making it out to this today or know where it's at?

From what I can knownit was going to be at the Santa Clara city hall, but unfortunately I wasn't able to make it because of work. But I'm sure of it that we'all see something come to fruitition shortly after the meeting.

Late to the party on this, but I have a guess as to what SR1 might stand for. Premier offers a Sky Rocket 1 model, which is the one at Kennywood. This coaster is also 95 feet tall, right around the 100 feet that the archetectual review stated. Plus, this park has no launch coaster, so a SR1 sounds like a fitting addition.

4f5c03d39c77ad3a6e2f3da0ec2f81b1.jpg

^ I like this theory. It also goes along with the tire marks. Sorry, I just don't see a single rail RMC going here. A ride similar to sky rocket would be a perfect fit... knowing the limited knowledge I have about this park...

Edited by anonymouscactus

^I think the implication is that it stands for "Single Rail #1," as in it would be the first single rail coaster. It that does sound way more far-fetched than Sky Rocket 1 for several reasons. If CGA were to get a single rail, they would most likely go with a TRex over a Raptor due to capacity. However RMC might not be ready to make a TRex at this time. We only have two letters and a number to pick from, and it seems very unlikely that they are pointing to a single rail coaster. A Sky Rocket I, however, is an established design and is an actual ride model. I stand by this.

^SFDK has an SRII. And SRI is a very different ride from an SRII. If anything an SRI would be more marketable as it feels like a more "complete" ride.