Carowinds Discussion Thread

P. 913 - Copperhead Strike Roller Coaster for 2019
Users viewing this topic: carolinaman, JG-77 and 14 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Harry Potter is a sick donkey.

Re: Carowinds Discussion Thread

Postby average.coaster.fan » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:25 am

CaptainUnknown wrote:
jarmor wrote:The only ride that doesn't have bins is Fury, I wear my glasses on everything and I have no straps.

So is Fury an "I need to rent a fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo" scenario, or an "I can toss my stuff onto the platform" scenario?

Yes, you do need to rent a fluffy fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo to ride Fury.
Steel: 154 Wood: 39 Overall: 193
Top 5 Steel: Steel Vengeance, Twisted Timbers, Skyrush, i305, Maverick
Top 5 Wood: Voyage, Lightning Rod, Outlaw Run, Beast, Thunderhead
Top 5 Parks: Cedar Point, Silver Dollar City, Dollywood, Busch Gardens Tampa, Holiday World

I know quite a lot about Donkeys!

Postby Card » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:03 am

I'll be visiting Carowinds for the majority of next week. Couple questions for those of you in the know:

1. I've only visited in April and September and both times seemed a bit on the slow side, though September was certainly a bit busier. I suppose this is kind of a dumb question, but I assume July will be noticeably more crowded, even during weekdays, yes?

2. I'm hoping to do most of my eating outside the park as I hated most of the food there. Even Harmony Hall was pretty disappointing. I'm big on Luigi's Pizza a few miles to the north, but are there any other must-visit places nearby? I'll also be looking for breakfast one morning, so a good place to grab some grub first thing would be a huge bonus, too.

Thanks, you guys. Hoping to share some pics when I get back, too, as the DSLR is also making the trip.

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby The Geek Mojo » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:42 am

Card wrote:I'll be visiting Carowinds for the majority of next week. Couple questions for those of you in the know:

1. I've only visited in April and September and both times seemed a bit on the slow side, though September was certainly a bit busier. I suppose this is kind of a dumb question, but I assume July will be noticeably more crowded, even during weekdays, yes?

2. I'm hoping to do most of my eating outside the park as I hated most of the food there. Even Harmony Hall was pretty disappointing. I'm big on Luigi's Pizza a few miles to the north, but are there any other must-visit places nearby? I'll also be looking for breakfast one morning, so a good place to grab some grub first thing would be a huge bonus, too.

Thanks, you guys. Hoping to share some pics when I get back, too, as the DSLR is also making the trip.

I've only ever visit Carowinds in the Spring and Fall. I've wanted to visit in the Summer to try out their new remodeled waterpark which I imagine helps keep the crowds down in the dry park on hot Carolina days. But I can't speak to experience on that. But as far as food goes...The restaurants by Carowinds are crap. The Wendy's, KFC etc...I would just eat in the park instead of those places. There is a Cracker Barrel there too if you want breakfast. But I'm not much of a breakfast eater. If you're looking for good food, then take time to visit uptown Charlotte. Some of the best food I've ever eaten is there. I'm a big Panthers fan so I eat quite a lot there in uptown when I visit in the fall. Cabo Fish Taco and Mert's Heart & Soul is fantastic!

"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Postby LiftThrill » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:33 am

Does anyone know why Carowinds has a ride entitled "something" on queue-times? :lol:
1. Fury 325 | 2. Millennium Force | 3. New Texas Giant | 4. Outlaw Run | 5. Maverick | 6. Twisted Cyclone | 7. Iron Rattler | 8. The Voyage | 9. Goliath (SFGAm) | 10. Time Traveler

"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Postby DorneyKid14 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:20 pm

[url=Check out @Carowinds’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/Carowinds/status/1020050681699315712?s=09]carowinds throwing down more teasers.[/url]
Favorite Steel: GateKeeper
Favorite Wood: Outlaw Run
Home Park: DPWWK
Steel: 76 Wood: 24
Total: 100 Parks: 16

Jizzy jizz jizz jizz jizz

Postby PKI Jizzman » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:43 pm

LiftThrill wrote:Does anyone know why Carowinds has a ride entitled "something" on queue-times? :lol:

something looks too intense for me.
Chi-livin. @adultswim @cartoonnetwork | World traveler, concert attendee, salsa connoisseur, comic reader, and theme park nerd.
Snaps: photoboothezizi

This B&M donkey is so smooth!

Postby carolinaman » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:51 pm

Took a few pics Wed.
20180718_185910.png
20180718_145658.png
20180718_145736.png
20180718_150934.png

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby DILinator » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:51 am

average.coaster.fan wrote:
CaptainUnknown wrote:
jarmor wrote:The only ride that doesn't have bins is Fury, I wear my glasses on everything and I have no straps.

So is Fury an "I need to rent a fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo" scenario, or an "I can toss my stuff onto the platform" scenario?

Yes, you do need to rent a fluffy fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo to ride Fury.

Or you can just do what I see a lot of people do when I've been there, who chuck their backpacks and bags behind the hedge at the entrance to the queue! :lol: (Please note that I am NOT recommending this practice, and would never personally do it myself! But it's definitely "a thing", much to Carowinds' chagrin!)

Top 10 Coasters! 1.Steel Vengeance 2.Fury 3.Millennium Force 4.Maverick 5.Twisted Timbers 6.The Voyage 7. Lightning Rod 8.Storm Chaser 9.El Toro 10.Phantom's Revenge Honorable Mentions: Ravine Flyer II Shivering Timbers, Kraken Mako Underrated Coasters: Steel - Manta, Wood - White Lightning

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby CaptainUnknown » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:05 pm

Unfortunately, it's looking like my trip next week will be a wet one. High chance of thunder and rain my entire visit. So on a scale of Six Flags Great Adventure during Holiday in the Park to Six Flags Great Adventure in the Summer, how is the weather policy? I expect the high rides to shut down for lightning, but what rides shut down for anything more than a light drizzle?

Also, while I expect the magic seats on Intimidator/Fury to be the back, do any of the other coasters have magic seats? What seats are recommended--especially on Nighthawk/Hurler/Vortex?
Sweet Screams are Made of This. Who Am I To Disagree?

Parks: 22
Credits: 117 (23 wood/94 steel)
Top Wood: Outlaw Run
Top Steel: Millennium Force

Arrow rox my sox!

Postby zburns999 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:19 pm

^From one trip, so take with a grain of salt...

On my visit, every major ride in the park shut down in the afternoon simply due to the threat of storms. There had been no lightning visible, and the rain didn't begin for well over an hour later. Nothing ever reopened, and the park shut down at 7:00 PM (I assume that, up until then, shops and restaurants were open). So yeah, if you have thunder and lightning in the forecast, be prepared for the possibility of a near-total shutdown. As for light rain, I cannot speak to that.

My experience with Fury was that the front was far-and-away the better spot, and I'm usually a back-seat purist in most cases. I also found Intimidator to be much better in the front, which is odd because I think that Behemoth and Diamondback are back-seat rides. Everything else I only had a chance to ride once, so I can't give you an informed opinion. Perhaps a Carowinds local might be able to chime in...

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!