TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Carowinds Discussion Thread

P. 417 - Fury back open now with 100% less crack!

Hey everybody!

This thread is simple! Rather than having a million little threads about everything that goes on at Carowinds, this thread is designed to consolidate it all into one user-friendly thread. Feel free to use it to post updates, trip reports, questions, comments, and of course, general discussion. For pictures and videos of the park as well as past updates, see TPR's Park Index Page.

Official Park Website

Below are some links to past updates from the park, you may be interested in. Enjoy!

--Robb

February 15th, 2005 - Construction photos of flyers (from Kings Island) at Carowinds - SEE BELOW!

February 25th, 2005 - Last piece of Wayne's World theming is removed

March 18th, 2005 - Nickelodeon area opens

April 7th, 2005 - Happy Days restaurant opens (replaces Stan Mikita's)

September 21st, 2005 - Boomerang Bay coming in 2006

January 27th, 2007 - Looping Starship returns from the boneyard

May 15th, 2008 - Rumors of Head Spin (now Carolina Cobra) being relocated from Geauga Lake begin

September 28th, 2008 - Carolina Cobra announcement (formerly Head Spin at Geauga Lake)

January 27th, 2009 - Wild Thornberry's Log Flume removed

February 4th, 2009 - Nighthawk getting a facelift

August 26, 2009 - Intimidator Announcements, photos and video

February 9, 2010 - Videos of Intimidator Testing

June 24th, 2010 - Vehicles broken into at Carowinds

August 27th, 2010 - Snoopy's Starlight Spectacular announced for 2011

August 1st, 2011 - Cedar Fair acquires 61 acres of land for expansion

August 21st, 2011 - Windseeker for 2012

December 14th, 2011 - Windseeker construction photos posted!

January 18th, 2012 - Windseeker tower pieces arrive at Carowinds!

September 12th, 2012 - Leaked image confirms Dinosaurs Alive for 2013?

September 21st, 2012 - Carowinds announces Dinosaurs Alive! for 2013!

July 27th, 2013 - Lots of survey marking spotted at Carowinds

August 24th, 2013 - $50 million in improvements announced over the next three years (no specifics released)

September 7th, 2013 - Park Announces 2 new slides for Boomerang Bay in 2014!

August 21st, 2014 - Fury 325 announced

March 25th, 2015 - Live Fury 325 Media Day Updates!

May 23rd, 2015 - Thunder Road to close on July 26th

July 22nd, 2015 - Bands, Brews & BBQs event coming to Carowinds!

July 26th, 2015 - POV Video of Thunder Road!

August 27th, 2015 - Carolina Harbor announced

October 8th, 2016 - Plants vs Zombies interactive theater game announced for 2016

Secember 19th, 2015 - Carolina Harbor expansion construction update

February 6th, 2016 - 5 classic flat rides to be added for 2016

August 18th, 2016 - New County Fair area, rides and Winterfest announced

August 16th, 2017 - Expansion of Planet Snoopy into Camp Snoopy with 6 new kid's rides

February 12th, 2018 - Marriott's Spring Hill Suites announced for 2019

August 30th, 2018 - Copperhead Strike, Mack coaster with two launches

October 17th, 2018 - Flying Scooters to return in 2019

January 16th, 2019 - Copperhead Strike construction photos posted!

March 6th, 2019 - Copperhead Strike Front Seat POV!

August 15th, 2019 - Boogie Board Racer & Grand Carnivale announced!

Original Post:

Carowinds just sent me some new construction pics of their flyers going in. Since I haven't been following this, are these the ones from PKI?

Anyway, here's the pics:

PhantomFlyers2.jpg.c8c7d5778fcd81138ebab85a111270e0.jpg

PhantomFlyersConstruction.jpg.3414042a7857f1ec44ad630debe54298.jpg

PhantomFlyers.jpg.3ccf94538e7f1b476ba1f1ba3a16d949.jpg

• Like 1

Sure, Robb, bring up a touchy subject...... (just kidding)

Yes, I am really sad to say, these ARE the flyers from PKI and I am pretty ticked (and so were a lot of other people from what I heard/read) about it. These were the original "flying scooters" that came to Kings Island from the original Coney Island park down by the Ohio River. They were a classic, and held a special place in my heart because they were one of the few rides left that I rode as a child with my late father, and that I now ride with my little girl.

They removed the flyers along with the antique auto turnpike to make way for "Italian Job". There were a lot of ticked off people because these are two rides that almost anyone can ride, and they were "classics". The arguement was that there are plenty of places at PKI where the flyers could have been moved, in particular, the circle that has stood empty for years where Flight Commander was. (Rumor has it the autos will return to the Nickelodeon Central area in '06.)

Shari "I miss the days before "Paramount" Shoufler

^ That is too bad. Whenever a flat rides goes it's a sad day. But hey, at least be happy that PKI has gotten some new flat rides recently (Delerium, Tomb Raider...)

SFMM hasn't gotten a new flat ride since um....hmm...since they OPENED??? :shock:

--Robb

^ True, and Delirium is a blast, but it all depends on your POV. My husband has done nothing but complain that we haven't gotten a hyper-coaster like Millenium or TTD, and even though they are touting Italian Job as a "family" coaster, it's going to have a 48" height requirement.

PKI is definitely behind on the mega-coaster craze, and they seem to take pride in the "family park" moniker, but they keep removing "family rides" and put in either mediocre thrill rides, or worse, pay to play attractions.

Shari "despite my complaints PKI is still home" Shoufler

Thanks for the pics Robb! I can see they've already done a few touch-ups to the Flyers before starting work, like the structure which has been painted from blue to white, they've done a nice job of putting this up it will be interesting to see how it turns out.

I think it will also be interesting to see the theme of the ride and how this thing runs, how they operate it if they work it like Kings Island did (I wasn't one of the few who got upset when they took it out, but I do find most flyers fun).

Well, however this goes you and I both know well that this will turn out better than Cypress Garden's "geometry project"

-Justin

Hey everyone!

Carowinds has just sent me some interesting photos of the last remaining "Wayne's World" theming being removed from the park. 'Tis a sad day for those of us nostolgic on early 1990s Mike Meyer's movies, but quite honestly, the Wayne's World stuff was dated anyway.

Anyway, here is what is looked like before:

And now here's the new, revamped version!

From the email from the park:

"The Happy Days diner is on schedule to open with the park on March 19. It features a retro look, show memorabilia, a classic diner menu and a 50's DJ spinning the oldies each day."

stan.jpg.143a35d4d82eb07e6b31f2a82532dd74.jpg

Can you guess what these letters used to spell? ;)

caro2.jpg.a2972f767a2fc181ffb96b04b7850eb9.jpg

caro1.jpg.044789c3d56b459079963120786ccb00.jpg

Edited by larrygator

This brings up a point... Would you rather have a nostalgic Mike Meyers/SNL themed restruant (SNL in the early 1990's rocked!) or Da Fonz...

I think I am tied, what if Paramount decided to do a cheap crossover and call it, Happy Mikitas. The only restruant with hockey players and people saying "Heyyy!!!!!"

Yeah, Wayne's World was dated, and pretty much everyone knows about Happy Days. I just hope they break out the X-Treme Action Zone Motorcycle Stunt Spectacular with the Fonz jumping over stuff. Hehe, that'd be cool, daddio. Wonder if you'll see Arnold, Chachi, and Potsie there too.

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.heraldonline.com/local/story/4687764p-4338181c.html

One of America's favorite television moms came out Wednesday to celebrate the cold, wet preview of Paramount's Carowinds' newly expanded Nickelodeon area. The theme park officially opens Saturday.

Meredith Baxter, who played mom Elyse Keaton in the 1980s comedy series "Family Ties," was guest of honor among selected Charlotte-area schoolchildren, Mecklenburg and York County leaders and other VIPs on hand for the preview event.

"Get ready to fly, swoop, laugh and scream with all your favorite Nickelodeon characters," Baxter told the kids, who were hidden under a sea of umbrellas. "Nickelodeon Central is open. Get ready for fun, fun and more fun."

The revamped children's area is part of a multimillion dollar expansion that brought the Nick-themed area from 3 to 15 acres. The new area has five new attractions including the Phantom Flyers, an interactive spinning glider.

"That was awesome," exclaimed Hector Oropeza, 13, of Charlotte after riding Phantom Flyers back-to-back. "I loved making it swing. It's so cool."

Other new rides are The Flying Dutchman's Revenge, miniature pirate ships that twist and turn while sloping up and down; Dora the Explorer's Adventure train ride; and Little Bill's Cruisers, miniature speed boats that sail and glide.

York County Councilman Jeff Updike didn't ride anything, but he had fun watching the kids go nuts over the Nick characters and new attractions. Updike worked in the park in the early '80s and said he's impressed with the updates.

Carowinds is stressing family fun this season, said park spokesman Scott Anderson. "Most of these new attractions are rides kids can enjoy with their parents," Anderson said.

And what better way to celebrate the family than bring in a famous television mom?

Baxter, 57, a mother of five grown children, said she remembers well what it's like being a mom looking for things to do with her family.

"I always liked participating with the kids at the parks," Baxter said. "And you can do that here at Carowinds. You're not just sitting on a bench waiting for the kids to finish."

She said Carowinds is an "immediate grab" for both parents and children.

"There's something for the whole family here," she said.

Other changes for the 2005 season are:

• The former Animation Station and Zoom Zone have been revamped and renamed to reflect the Nickelodeon theme. New ride names include the Fairly Odd Coaster, once the Scooby Doo Ghost Coaster; Lazy Town Sporticopters, last called Chopper Chase; TV Land Road Trip, formerly Road Rally; and Hey Arnold's Taxi Chase, the old Taxi Jam.

• Nick Live is a new interactive family game show modeled after "Double Dare," complete with Nickelodeon trivia, pies in the face, an obstacle course and oozy green slime.

• The entire children's area has been given brighter colors and more open space. The asphalt was ripped out and replaced with brick pavement, and snack stands reflect the new Nickelodeon theme.

• New characters have been added including Diego, from Dora the Explorer.

Carowinds opens at 10 a.m. Saturday and will operate on a weekend-only schedule through May 15, with some exceptions including Good Friday and Easter Monday. For a complete schedule or more information, check out www.carowinds.com.

Despite the fact I am still p-o'd that they got my flyers, that looks like a really neat revamping and wonder if that isn't what is going to happen next year at PKI? Rumor has been that they will be taking the antique cars and transplanting them to the Nick area. Wonder if they will do away with all HB references and turn the entire kiddieland into Nickelodeon. Hmmm.....

Shari "Did I mention I am still mad about the flyers?" Shoufler

I haven't gotten around to uploading my pics from Wednesday (too busy riding the flyers Friday night and Saturday) 8)

Meredith walked right past me TWICE!!! Aren't I special?

Anyway, I hope to be doing a write-up for Thrillnetwork soon and will post a link if you're nice to me

I got some good pics too but you've probably already seen the same stuff.

I'm a newbie to snapping and I got it down by about my 4th or 5th ride on Saturday. Then it's like a bike, once you know it it's pretty easy.

I'm so glad we got the flyers (not happy for you PKIers) but hey they're here, I'm glad they are too.

It could have been worse. PKI could have trashed them.

And I didn't know till this weekend that they originally operated at Coney Island NY. 8)

• 2 weeks later...

Carowinds has just sent over a couple of publicity photos from the opening of thier new Happy Days restaurant. They actually got Tom Bosley and Marion Ross from the TV show for the opening. Wow, have they aged!!! :shock:

Anyway, here's the photos:

carowinds2.jpg.6cb5332527c584499814a847a6f1cda0.jpg

"Happy Days" is one of America's most popular TV sitcoms of all time and celebrates its 30th anniversary this year.

carowinds1.jpg.6dc74d51010dcc877a89db84d1aa1310.jpg

Tom Bosley (Center) and Marion Ross (far right) were on hand at Paramount's Carowinds on Thursday to help celebrate the grand opening of the new Happy Days Diner. The duo portrayed Mr. and Mrs. C. in the much-loved television series "Happy Days" for 11 se

Kool i reset the computer and they work fine now, dam. nice idea with the dinner I'm sure it would be quite a treat for die hard fans of the show.

Ben 'I would rather be a smart ass than a dumb ass' Deith

Added - (not that I'm calling you a dumb ass)