TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Carowinds Discussion Thread

P. 417 - Fury back open now with 100% less crack!

Scarowinds is hella packed the last weekends of October. Manage your time wisely. I'd say dont leave after datyime operations. Just chill in the parking lot or walk over to Moe's or the BBQ joint if you're hungry as. You will see that it gets very hectic when the scarowinds crowd start to arrive and park. Traffic is over the top and the parking lot gets full. The park is overcrowded and you will have to choose either to do rides or mazes and you may get to do 2 mazes or two rides in the 5hr time frame as lines are chaotic and very long. Just be there early to get in faster. FASTPASS PLUS WILL BE YOUR FRIEND for rides only and if considering the Frightpass will also be your friends for mazes.

Edited by pproteinc

Two years ago the entrance was grid locked with cars trying to get into the park at about 1030pm... No joke. Everything is packed, but we still managed to do a couple haunted houses. We waited maybe 30 minutes. You just have to be selective and wait until after Scarowinds has been open for a couple hours before waiting for a Haunt. Like every haunt, people go rushing to every haunted house as soon as Scarowinds starts.

We left for dinner and got to the park right when Scarowinds opened. We had to wait about 20 minutes to get through the parking entrance. We had to wait another ten minutes to park. We saw someone get contacted by security for slamming beers in their car prior to entering.............. It also took about 20 minutes to get through the entrance. There were several times where we waited 20 minutes to get a beer. The crowds actually made it pretty fun, though. Since the layout is so small there aren't many gaps between the roaming scare actors, scare zones, and haunts.

It's not everyday you go to this park. Fast Lane Plus. We were on every ride within a few minutes. It allowed us to take our time and be selective about which haunted houses to hit. If you don't want to go that route, make sure to visit the park during the day. I think crowds were mostly light.

Thanks guys! The tip about walking to dinner and leaving the car is welcome for sure. I was kinda wondering about that down time.

Prozach you know I am firmly in the get the fastpasses camp if you aren't there on a regular basis. Because we need to fit it in a quick weekend we are just flying down so I'm not going to skimp on fastpasses if I'm already spending money on plane tickets and a rental car. I was able to get two free night at the Hampton Inn near the park with Hilton points, so that helps.

I figure with fastlane plus and two night of haunts with the fright lane passes we should get to see everything. Now that I'm hearing tales about the backup to get in we will be sure to allow plenty of time.

^Nice! With the Fast Lane Plus and Fright Lane combo you're going to be able to ride everything you want as many times as you want. Is this your first trip to Carowinds?

Yes, been to several other Cedar Fair parks but not Carowinds. It was a reward offered to the boy for raising his grades and then he went and did it so I had to follow through, lol. We both have Fri 10/26 off school so, fly down Fri morning, Scarowinds Fri night, regular park Sat day, Scarowinds Sat night, utilize fastlane/frightlane, ride everything, go through all the mazes, eat junk food til we puke, and fly home Sun morning.

The Fury crew is otherworldly. They've just eaten through an entire set of switchbacks in like 15 minutes (full queue minus the extra far-end cattle pens). Too bad almost every other crew has kinda sucked. Better rides = better crews here, Afterburn has been closed all day, hoping it opens before we bail but I'm guessing it probably won't.

So, if we purchase fastlane plus for the normal daytime hours on a Saturday, is it still good during Scarowinds? Or does everything "reset" when the park reopens for the Halloween stuff.

I realize the mazes have a separate fastpass to purchase.

Carowinds announces Mountain Gliders for 2019

Have you ever wanted soar like a bird over majestic mountains? The Mountain Gliders, opening in Carowinds’ all-new Blue Ridge Junction area in 2019, offers an experience that’s mighty close. After boarding one of the unique carriages, you’ll start spinning at a high speed, so much so that you’ll spin outward and rise to 28 feet above the ground. Once in the air, you take matters into your own hands by operating the carriage’s controls to command the glider’s flight. Whether you explore the high altitudes as if flying above the Blue Ridge Mountains or cruise at a lower elevation in the valleys, the choice – and experience, mild or wild – is up to you.

Mountain Gliders

ca-mountaingliders-mg1.jpg

MG.JPG.22ba01a1d9a88b56989634f1b40c1888.JPG

MG2.JPG.04e33cb46830d1e30662b4f04dbdb505.JPG

Edited by larrygator

Spent last Saturday primarily at Carowinds since I was in the area. Sadly, Afterburn was closed all day (was really looking forward to it, but at least it wasn't Fury). Expected it to be pretty busy and was pleasantly surprised that it wasn't SUPER slammed (definitely nowhere near empty or even super great, I still skipped some rides like Flying Cobras and Nighthawk, but I never waited more than an hour for anything).

Fury 325 (x3): This thing kicks every other coaster ever's A$$ up and down its 325 feet of height. The first drop is the best on any coaster I've been on by far and it absolutely powers through everything with a crazy relentless speed that puts a huge grin on your face every second of the ride. The airtime in the ending run is also superb, but I live for speed and every ride on this felt like it got even faster. I can't decide if my favorite part of the ride is the first drop or that sweeping turn before the treble clef, but both of those parts are absolutely breathtaking and are just so much fun in every way that even among the other parts of the ride they manage to be ridiculously awesome in comparison. This thing is king. Sorry MF, but Fury is you but better. Also shoutout to the crew who made a super long line into a half hour wait.

Hurler (x1): Perfectly average coaster. Not rough at all (for a woodie of this type), and a decent time. I'd imagine riding in the wheel seats would give a less enjoyable experience, but it was pretty fun.

Carolina Cyclone (x1): Kinda sucked? Not as bad as Demon or Corkscrew, just kinda meh. The crew on this ride was horrendous and with 2 trains averaged 2-3 minute dispatches or something like that.

Vortex (x1): My first standup coaster. Sitting waiting for it to dispatch is the worst part. The ride was actually really enjoyable except for the headbangy corkscrew thing near the end of the ride.

Carolina Goldrusher (x1): Fun mine train. One of my favorites, after Thunderation and Road Runner Express. The crew for this was equal to or worse than Carolina Cyclone's.

Intimidator (x1): People complain about the trims a lot, but my one ride seemed like they were turned all the way off. Probably my favorite B&M hyper, but they're all pretty similar. Intimidator seemed like it had a little more sensation of speed to it going over the hills as opposed to Diamondback or Raging Bull.

These 6 were the only coasters I managed to get on, as I didn't feel like riding a worse version of Firehawk or waiting an hour for a Boomerang so I decided to make a pit stop at SFOG afterwards to try out one or two of their big 3.

Yes. They were taken out for the new Camp Snoopy expansion and place into storage. It's been a interesting for them as it was alleged they were returning this year then it seemed plans were off the table and things got silent. It seems they made the decision to bring them back with Copperhead strike. The first time this ride gets a new lease on life in the same park lol.

I'm planning a trip to Dollywood and then I plan to head to Carowinds after. I don't plan on going until next season, but does anyone have any tips? Is the park normally crowded? Should I buy fast lane? I'm embarrassed to say, but I've never embarked on a theme park road trip like this before and I don't know what to expect. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Is the park normally crowded?

Unless it's a weekend or there happens to be a ton of school groups for some reason the dry park doesn't get that busy. The major coasters (especially Fury and Afterburn) rarely have lines. Copperhead Strike will have a much lower capacity than those coasters though so we'll see what happens there.

PS: Nighthawk; however, gets massive lines almost daily

Edited by coasterbill

Unless it's a weekend or there happens to be a ton of school groups for some reason I would say no. The major coasters (especially Fury and Afterburn) rarely have lines. Copperhead Strike will have a much lower capacity than those coasters though so we'll see what happens there.

Awesome, I'll wait to buy FL until I get to the park. Thank you!

Yes. They were taken out for the new Camp Snoopy expansion and place into storage. It's been a interesting for them as it was alleged they were returning this year then it seemed plans were off the table and things got silent. It seems they made the decision to bring them back with Copperhead strike. The first time this ride gets a new lease on life in the same park lol.

That's great news. Thanks!

Went to the park on Saturday. The forecast probably kept it from being super crowded, but I was surprised by the number of people who were out there in rain jackets. We did a few laps on Fury with the line never making it to the landing on the stairs. The third lap, I had about 2 inches of space between my legs and the clamshell. Holy airtime, Batman! Weight loss has its privileges. I would have just kept going until the lines started getting long but we had some first-timers in tow.

We did three laps front row Afterburn without getting off b/c there was no line. I took my daughter and my friend, who also brought her daughter. And the daughters each brought a friend. It was tough convincing them as we walked past a coaster that they should do those last, if at all. (Vortex, Cyclone, Hurler) We left early and my friend said they rode those coasters after we left. She said Vortex wasn't bad, so I may have to unfriend her . She is buying 2019 platinum passes now.

I was surprised that while we never had a downpour, the rain was steady a few times and to my knowledge nothing closed due to rain. Pretty sure Ricochet never ran at all. My daughter's friend needed two ride ops to push down to get a green light on Fury. I was nervous for her on Intimidator and sure enough, she did the WOS. Also, we had two free bring-a-friend passes but there was a guy handing out free tickets near the ticket booth from some corporate event, so even the extra two friends got in free.

fury.thumb.jpg.c9ae163723e083a866b90ed691639c54.jpg

Me & the offspring leaving just as the sun started to come out.

CSjojo.thumb.jpg.2772c80c9fa1b7ec8de38a12f82ed100.jpg

Jojo dancer, your life is calling

I'm planning a trip to Dollywood and then I plan to head to Carowinds after. I don't plan on going until next season, but does anyone have any tips? Is the park normally crowded? Should I buy fast lane? I'm embarrassed to say, but I've never embarked on a theme park road trip like this before and I don't know what to expect. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Nighthawk is the one coaster where FastLane is absolutely needed due to its putrid capacity. If you don't get FastLane, go there first.

Unless it has changed, Fury has assigned seating and the FastLane merge point is right at the grouper. Even though the line moves pretty quickly, I thought it was well worth FastLane since I continuously walked right on. I think I rode Fury 8-9 times in the final hour thanks to FastLane.