Carowinds Discussion Thread

P. 913 - Copperhead Strike Roller Coaster for 2019
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Carowinds Discussion Thread

Postby prozach626 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:46 pm

Samuel wrote:Given Cedar Fair's efforts to address aging coasters and improve parks from within, is anyone else surprised that this new coaster is coming before a Vortex or Hurler transformation?

Yes and no. As far as Hurler goes, isn't this the only full size wooden coaster offering in the park? It doesn't surprise me that it's sticking around, rough or not. If we're talking Vortex, can anyone speak for Patriot's popularity? I'm asking, because I know over the past 5 days spend within CP since the transformation Rougaru has been a walk-on even on busy days. Granted it's a capacity monster, but I think the moderate amount of head banging steers people away. Even riding in the middle train I've yet to have an enjoyable ride on Rougaru. My wife also doesn't like it.

Postby thrillseeker4552 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:55 pm

^I cannot speak for the original Vortex at CGA, but Patriot was a complete walk-on (and I *literally* mean walk-on) all day on a Wednesday a couple weeks ago when both Railblazer and Gold Striker had healthy lines (granted, these are both lower capacity than Patriot).

To be honest, I feel that if anything were to happen to this Vortex anytime soon, Carowinds would simply scrap the ride, or relocate it to another CF park (maybe MA or Valleyfair) and convert it to a Floorless on the way. I think Floorless-ing CGA Vortex was a stretch, and at a park like Carowinds with bigger coasters than CGA, would Floorless-ing Vortex even be marketable or beneficial?

I'm sure it would be better than its current state as a Stand-Up, but Patriot is by no means a "good" ride. Part of me wishes CGA just scrapped the thing and put in something else.

With that being said, I think the case for Rougarou is a little different since the coaster is much bigger and actually really fun now (I GREATLY prefer it to Mantis). These smaller Stand-Ups though? I don't know.
Steel: 160 / Wood: 32 / Total: 192
Home Parks: Knott's (when home), Lagoon (at school)

I will provide you with maximum pleasure.

Postby DBru » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:09 pm

While I'm glad this coaster is coming over a Vortex revamp, I do think Carowind's Vortex has one of the better, more unique stand-up layouts. It's just that the trains suck and rattle like crazy. CGA's layout, however, was always lame.

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby CaptainUnknown » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:59 pm

When I was there last week, I walked onto Vortex front row. I think i was the only one on the train. It was bad, but not as bad as Iron Wolf was. Carolina Goldrusher was running rougher than Vortex that night. I'm genuinely curious as to how much of a difference the floorless train would make. It'll be interesting to see what (if anything) the park does with it.
Sweet Screams are Made of This. Who Am I To Disagree?

Parks: 22
Credits: 117 (23 wood/94 steel)
Top Wood: Outlaw Run
Top Steel: Millennium Force

Holy crap you have a HUGE donkey!

Postby sdcfan88 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:54 pm

I am surprised no B&M standup's have been converted into the unique style SDC's Wildfire uses. Its a sit down but with elevated seating.

Maveshark Team Leader and awesome dude!

Postby coasterkyle » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:47 am

That’s because they get a gimmick out of floorless trains. AKA: They can market more features to try and draw people to the park.
Credits - 144 Favorites 1.Skyrush 2.Maverick 3. Phoenix

Postby coasterbill » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:09 am

I hate to speculate on the success of a park's investment because it's a slippery slope that leads to rumors getting repeated and then being accepted as fact (see: Cedar Fair will never work with Intamin again) but like... I don't know...

Mantis did 925,667 riders in it's final season. By it's second season Rougarou was already pulled from Early Entry and it did under a million riders so there was basically no change despite going from 2 trains to 3 and dramatically improving capacity.

Rougarou in theory should probably have better capacity than every coaster in the park except for Gatekeeper, Gemeni and possibly Magnum and Millennium Force. I'd imagine it would even be ahead of Raptor in reality since Raptor's bins exist and god damn do they ever create a sh*tshow for anyone trying to sit in rows one and two.

So in it's second season despite it's amazing capacity, Rougarou did less riders than Gatekeeper, Millennium Force, Valravn (with a 24 passenger train), Magnum, Raptor, Sky Ride, Gemeni, the Railroad, Dragster despite it's low capacity, inability to run in rain, inability to run in wind and massive amounts of downtime and Maverick which holds 12 riders per train and breaks constantly (though at least it gets Early Entry which Rougarou does not). There were other rides that could have beat it too but stats aren't available. Honestly I feel like Iron Dragon would be right there.

That's pathetic and it's absolutely based on popularity because it has the capacity to beat Valravn, Dragster and Maverick handily and it should probably beat Raptor too (especially because Raptor closes for wind more than any coaster in the park except maybe Dragster and Rougarou will literally run in anything). It's not a capacity issue and it's not a downtime issue, it's just not that popular.

As for Patriot, I don't exactly have my finger on the pulse of that park but we went on a busy day where we needed Fastlane and walked straight on to row one of that dumpster fire of a ride and we were the only ones on the train. It sounds like everyone else is reporting similar results.

I wouldn't hold my breath for a floorless conversion. It could happen, but it's not exactly doing wonders for the popularity of these rides. Cheer up though, Patriot is a trash ride anyway.

I know quite a lot about Donkeys!

Postby Card » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:36 pm

Came back from my Carowinds/Charlotte visit a few weeks ago. My schedule's been a nightmare lately, so I haven't had much time to get around to picking out any of half-decent photos I took and editing and cropping them. Really, REALLY enjoyed my time down there. I was glad I stayed the better part of a week, which gave me the opportunity to check out more than just the park. There's so much cool stuff to do in the greater Charlotte area. I'm certainly no Invertalon, but I thought I'd share a few highlights with you folks, anyway:
DSC_0004.JPG
The Clarion Inn across the way is a so-so hotel overall, but decent for the price, plus it's hard to beat THIS view.
DSC_0026.JPG
The Piedmont Prairie Trail nearby is a great place to go birding (one of my many hobbies), and check out cool birds like this eastern phoebe...
DSC_0075.JPG
...or this ruby-throated hummingbird...
DSC_0526.JPG
...or this common yellowthroat.
DSC_0227.JPG
Okay okay, enough birds. Sun's out, tongues out!
DSC_0267.JPG
One of my favorites from the trip. One dude in front with his hands open (but eyes tight shut), and another dude elbowing the hell out of the girl next to him. Amazing.
DSC_0270.JPG
Entrance sign. I wish they'd take a cue from Kings Dominion and use their original park logo (even though it kinda sucks), since using the Cedar Fair font for all of the parks seems a bit, I don't know, tacky?
DSC_0277.JPG
Afterburn! There, um... aren't a lot of great places to get shots of Afterburn, I think. The south gate was closed, so I couldn't go down there without ostensibly attracting the attention of security. Lastly, shark train = best train.
DSC_0298.JPG
Panning shot!
DSC_0331.JPG
God, I love this element.
DSC_0344.JPG
BLURRRRRRRRRR
DSC_0371.JPG
Piplup and pikachu party!
DSC_0374.JPG
Staring contest with the hornet. He always wins. Jerk.
DSC_0417.JPG
Late day airtime. Trim brakes or not, those last three hills are MONEY.
DSC_0428.JPG
Always love taking long-exposures of WindSeeker and seeing what sort of colors show up.
DSC_0430.JPG
Red and blue ain't your thing? No problem, here's some green for ya.
DSC_0475.JPG
Fury. So, so pretty at night. Wish I took this with a little less clutter (read: people) around, but I still dig it.
DSC_0484.JPG
Okay, last shot, I promise. I thought Electro Spin was pretty rad; somewhat reminiscent of Chaos. Also a fun ride to take long-exposure shots of.

She turned me into a donkey! I got better...

Postby kylexy2298 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:16 pm

Awesome photos! Personally love the photo of Fury during the sunset, but the other ones are just as good! :b Glad you got to stay and check out Charlotte as there really is a lot to see around in that area.

Holy crap you have a HUGE donkey!

Postby sdcfan88 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:23 pm

Awesome! Gonna try to make it out there for the first time in a couple weeks. Should be very little crowds since school is starting back up. Lol

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!