TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Carowinds Discussion Thread

P. 417 - Fury back open now with 100% less crack!

We are stopping by the park either Thursday or Sunday. Main goal is just ride fury. If we go Thursday it will be a full day but if we go Sunday it will be only for a few hours. I haven't been since the year before Fury.

If you're in the mood for chicken wings, there's an awesome wing place pretty close called DD Peckers. It's one of our favorite wing spots we've ever been to. Cooked crisp to perfection with a lot off good sauces and wing mix/match platters to try a lot of sauces. I think the prices were pretty reasonable, too.

For my visit in August, I have no intention of rope-dropping, will not be purchasing fast lane; but intend on staying til close all three nights I intend to visit. I know Nighthawk's line is brutal during the day. Does it empty out at all in the evening/close to park close?

For my visit in August, I have no intention of rope-dropping, will not be purchasing fast lane; but intend on staying til close all three nights I intend to visit. I know Nighthawk's line is brutal during the day. Does it empty out at all in the evening/close to park close?

Yes, it did for me at least. I went in late July last year and got in line for Nighthawk about an hour before park close. I think we still waited about 20-30 minutes but it is much better than in the middle of the day. The ride still sucks just as much though!

Rope dropping at Carowinds is not necessary so you're good there. In my experience, yes it most definitely does empty out in the evening. Depending on which days you're going, many rides will drop down to practically station waits about an hour before closing time.

Was at the park friday for a Carolina Harbor day and snapped some shots. It does look like that layout matches with what we have seen (especially the footings by the bathhouse.

233472199_IMG_20180706_13313381.thumb.jpg.74b74407c1403b970e453e7ad1f6df18.jpg

29429152_IMG_20180706_14282411.thumb.jpg.d80396128201f99284c9b7056561d1c3.jpg

More teasers have been added to the wall. I guess we can rule out those names . . .

140094918_IMG_20180706_13330361.thumb.jpg.6854475079099f8d3a1dbbc0858cfccc.jpg

2112187007_IMG_20180706_13340491.thumb.jpg.3bf166488f5f57fe8c3e30adb7e29729.jpg

195517914_IMG_20180706_13341941.thumb.jpg.53bbf347b312481f20b6820602333d7b.jpg

Stopped by the park on our way home yesterday. Finally got to ride Fury. How could you not like this ride the airtime caught me way off guard. I think after my ride yesterday Afterburn has become my favorite invert so smooth so intense. Electro Spin was fun but damn do they take their time loading the thing. Also my son finally hit the 44 inch mark so I was able to get him on Kiddie hawk. He loved it, he also got mad when I couldn't take him on Fury. I look forward to going back for a proper visit. I love that no one was at the park the first 2 hours.

I hope I'm not turning this thread into the Kings Dominion thread by asking this, but what is the loose article/platform/bin/locker situation at the park? Specifically Fury and Nighthawk. Are there any rides that glasses cannot be worn on even with a strap?

Also, does the park sell a decent Afterburn hat?

Took a trip to the park yesterday before heading back to California. Park wasn't that busy and was able to get on everything I wanted to! The teasers on the construction wall look great and I can't wait to see what the park gets! Couple of construction shots below, really not a lot has changed, just rebar, and what looks like the makings for footers are all over the site.

Also got to see crews take a train out of operations on Fury, sounded like their was something stuck on the bottom of the train. Ended up taking that train off (believe it was train 3) and put train 1 onto the track. Always fun getting to see the transfer track in operations and how the park can quickly fix an issue like this!

20180716_145739.thumb.jpg.61a9f82980bf500d386e1688bfa186ff.jpg

20180716_145743.thumb.jpg.bfae62868c81c04af85a888c1ee8d94e.jpg

The only ride that doesn't have bins is Fury, I wear my glasses on everything and I have no straps.

So is Fury an "I need to rent a fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo" scenario, or an "I can toss my stuff onto the platform" scenario?

Yes, you do need to rent a fluffy fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo to ride Fury.

I'll be visiting Carowinds for the majority of next week. Couple questions for those of you in the know:

1. I've only visited in April and September and both times seemed a bit on the slow side, though September was certainly a bit busier. I suppose this is kind of a dumb question, but I assume July will be noticeably more crowded, even during weekdays, yes?

2. I'm hoping to do most of my eating outside the park as I hated most of the food there. Even Harmony Hall was pretty disappointing. I'm big on Luigi's Pizza a few miles to the north, but are there any other must-visit places nearby? I'll also be looking for breakfast one morning, so a good place to grab some grub first thing would be a huge bonus, too.

Thanks, you guys. Hoping to share some pics when I get back, too, as the DSLR is also making the trip.

I'll be visiting Carowinds for the majority of next week. Couple questions for those of you in the know:

1. I've only visited in April and September and both times seemed a bit on the slow side, though September was certainly a bit busier. I suppose this is kind of a dumb question, but I assume July will be noticeably more crowded, even during weekdays, yes?

2. I'm hoping to do most of my eating outside the park as I hated most of the food there. Even Harmony Hall was pretty disappointing. I'm big on Luigi's Pizza a few miles to the north, but are there any other must-visit places nearby? I'll also be looking for breakfast one morning, so a good place to grab some grub first thing would be a huge bonus, too.

Thanks, you guys. Hoping to share some pics when I get back, too, as the DSLR is also making the trip.

I've only ever visit Carowinds in the Spring and Fall. I've wanted to visit in the Summer to try out their new remodeled waterpark which I imagine helps keep the crowds down in the dry park on hot Carolina days. But I can't speak to experience on that. But as far as food goes...The restaurants by Carowinds are crap. The Wendy's, KFC etc...I would just eat in the park instead of those places. There is a Cracker Barrel there too if you want breakfast. But I'm not much of a breakfast eater. If you're looking for good food, then take time to visit uptown Charlotte. Some of the best food I've ever eaten is there. I'm a big Panthers fan so I eat quite a lot there in uptown when I visit in the fall. Cabo Fish Taco and Mert's Heart & Soul is fantastic!