TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Carowinds Discussion Thread

P. 417 - Fury back open now with 100% less crack!

Is anyone else like me and hope they just scrap Vortex rather than convert it? I know they did Vortex at CGA, but Carowinds is a much larger park, and how marketable would something like Floortex be? Plus the ride would be mediocre, at best. I don't know. I guess I just hate the ride so much I'm getting ahead of myself.

My hope is that they eventually get rid of both Nighthawk and Vortex (scrap the former, ship the latter off to Michigan's Adventure as a floorless) and use that spot for a big steel looper, maybe a wing rider.

It is officially set in stone that I will be visiting Carowinds for the first time this Summer, and needless to say, I am very excited! I'm definitely looking forward to Fury and Intimidator! I'm also really excited about the other coasters. Borg Assimilator (or whatever its current name is), although Vekoma flyers are not highly regarded in the enthusiast community, I am looking forward to as I've never been on a flying coaster of any kind. I am looking forward to Vortex as well as I've never been on a stand up of any kind either. I had opportunities in the past but that was many years ago when I was just getting into coasters and had not gotten the nerve to try a stand up coaster.

It is officially set in stone that I will be visiting Carowinds for the first time this Summer, and needless to say, I am very excited! I'm definitely looking forward to Fury and Intimidator! I'm also really excited about the other coasters. Borg Assimilator (or whatever its current name is), although Vekoma flyers are not highly regarded in the enthusiast community, I am looking forward to as I've never been on a flying coaster of any kind. I am looking forward to Vortex as well as I've never been on a stand up of any kind either. I had opportunities in the past but that was many years ago when I was just getting into coasters and had not gotten the nerve to try a stand up coaster.

Have fun!

Like you've probably seen, people's experiences on Vortex are highly polarized (and I'm sure even those who don't totally hate the ride wouldn't necessarily call it "good"). The first part of Nighthawk is actually pretty fun and intense, but everything from the loop to the brakes is a shakey mess... at least it was for me.

But on the other hand, Fury, Intimidator, and Afterburn are all fantastic rides and make the park worth visiting on their own!

Hi guys,

I'm in the proces of planning our second trip to the US this year and this trip is gonna include a visit to Carowinds on Saturday the 15th of September.

Because our first trip this year(June) will include Cedar Point and Canada's wonderland we already purchased CF platinum passes(yep, people from Europe with CF platinum passes ). We are only interested in the 3 main rides in Carowinds(F325, Intimidator and afterburn, don't care about the rest), and for the rest we just gonna walk around, enjoy the park,and compare the park to all the others parks we have seen in the past .

Because we are gonna visit on a Saturday in September when the park is closed on weekdays, I expect it is gonna be very crowded and that's why a have 2 questions:

Does carowinds have something like early entry for platinum passes on a saturday in September?

If we're gonna decide to go for FL-plus, do they offer a discount on those for Pass-holders?

If it is worth the time,we do have the possibility to go on sunday morning as well for a few hours, but we rather not do that, plenty of other things to do that week

Thanks!

Is anyone else like me and hope they just scrap Vortex rather than convert it? I know they did Vortex at CGA, but Carowinds is a much larger park, and how marketable would something like Floortex be? Plus the ride would be mediocre, at best. I don't know. I guess I just hate the ride so much I'm getting ahead of myself.

I think I now know Valleyfair's future coaster.

^Sundays are mostly dead until church lets out here in the Bible belt. All three B&M's are usually walk-on's before noon and a 15 minute wait worst case scenario. You definitely won't need Fast Lane on Sunday.

Thanks for the advice!

I think we're gonna let the saturday crowds decide if we are going to visit on Sunday morning as well.

• 2 weeks later...

My personal enthusiast wet dream would be they move it to MIA and then convert it to floorless. That would open that space up for a modern looper from Gerstlauer, MACK or a B&M wing. Whilst giving MIA a decent sitdown B&M at a fraction of the cost. Doubt this would happen but in my mind it's a perfect scenario for both parks.

The sportsplex tidbit in that above photo is not surprising. CF has stated they will look into building more of those and Carowinds seems like a perfect spot. Almost perfect year round weather for most outdoor sports. They would get a ton of usage from it there. It already had a very successful first year in Ohio, I'm sure it would do even better in the Carolinas.

• 2 weeks later...
I wouldn't recommend putting any stock in it, but I saw a rumor that it's not 100% certain the flyers won't be coming back this year. I'm assuming wishful thinking, but you never know.

Those flyers are amazing. I couldn't believe the operators were encouraging me to go higher via snapping, but they did.

Will be visiting the park on Sunday (and maybe a little Saturday night if we get there early enough). Anyone got a recommendation for a nearby hotel to Carowinds? I normally aim for Holiday Inn Express type level.

I stayed at the Best Western Carowinds.. it was pretty nice, and reasonably priced.

Okay, the Holiday Inn Express near Carowinds. There are 2 of them. Holiday Inn Express & Suites Charlotte- Arrowood and Holiday Inn Express & Suites Fort Mill.

It's not that I don't have Google access and hadn't already figured that much out for myself - it's more that some of the hotels are just better than others in a given locale. I also thought someone might say you really should stay close at 'XYZ' as opposed to being up the freeway at the closest Holiday Inn or "everything sucks, you should just sleep in your car and eat the dead bugs off your windscreen for breakfast...that's good protein". Anywho, I'll just go back to planning this Carowinds/Dollywood trip without potential help from an expert team.

P.S. Thanks Beenagins87 for your suggestion. I will look at that one.