TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Carowinds Discussion Thread

P. 417 - Fury back open now with 100% less crack!

Have we figured out where they're moving the Flyers to yet? Glad those are leaving the kids area for those of us with no kids . If there's one thing I'd love to see go up at Carowinds now it would be a nice Mondial Revolution like Delirium at KD. For some reason I've always felt a Giant Frisbee would be a great addition to Carowinds lineup. Granted giant frisbees should be everywhere. Including the Wawa next to my apartment.

.....If there's one thing I'd love to see go up at Carowinds now it would be a nice Mondial Revolution like Delirium at KD. For some reason I've always felt a Giant Frisbee would be a great addition to Carowinds lineup. Granted giant frisbees should be everwhere.....

Agree but I much prefer a Huss, Intamin, or Zamperla version. Also a Screamin Swing would be nice well.

I imagine if Carowinds gets a frisbee it will probably be the Mondial version since the most recent one that went up was the one at KD. Granted I don't work for Cedar Fair but they seem to have a good relationship with Mondial these days.

I took my daughter and her friend to Scarowinds Saturday night. My first trip to the park since 1995. I knew what I was in for based on online reviews but she really wanted to check it out. We were first in line at the gate and made it to Nighthawk for the first run and got front row. It was kinda downhill from there.

Intimidator was about a 20 minute wait. And well worth it! Afterburn was about 30 minutes. Vortex was about the same. I loved Afterburn and we ended up riding it twice. Vortex was not worth the wait. I probably would not ride that again if it was walk-on. The second go round on Afterburn was about a 45 minute wait. We bailed on Fury 325 as I'd read horror stories about traffic getting out of there if you stay late and wait times had been steadily increasing.

The characters and spook zones kinda seemed like a high school drama club production. My daughter and her friend both declared it "lame and cheesy"

We have platinum CF passes for next year so we'll have plenty of time to ride everything later.

^It's going to be placed in a portion of White Water Falls plot. I hope they save the ride entrance that was once the entrance for the Hillbilly Jalopies and use it for the flyers.

Can you give me some landmarks/rides for this new flyer location? I can't quite picture where it will go. I only know where the coasters are and the Icee stand- priorities!! Haha

^It's going to be placed in a portion of White Water Falls plot. I hope they save the ride entrance that was once the entrance for the Hillbilly Jalopies and use it for the flyers.

Can you give me some landmarks/rides for this new flyer location? I can't quite picture where it will go. I only know where the coasters are and the Icee stand- priorities!! Haha

In the area where the red circle is the approximate location.

flyersapproxnewloc.png.e8e077c9186fca9cf48622eeb9af5895.png

This is what we had during the Paramount days. IIRC PKI did the very same on the Eiffel Tower. I don't think CF would attempt this however due to the fact that the Skytower is listed as one of the Winterfest rides that will be open. If they could figure out how to add the lights and have the tower still operate that would be sweet.

(sans the Paramount Stars on top of course )

pic source: themeparks.sbout.com

6a3be6065fff8d3095f5cf3311335a2e--kings-island-rockefeller-center.jpg.8027992389aecb829129c46f2caa610e.jpg

^Carowinds had been turning the Skytower into a Christmas tree for years even before Paramount, even though the park wasn't open. I believe they are turning Windseeker into one for Winterfest this year instead of Skytower (since it's scheduled to operate).

Alleged location. All the park has said is its moving closer to the county fair.

Theoretically, the Yo-yo is closer to county fair, correct? Does the park really need two versions of the same ride with the addition of Zephyr?

Carowinds is weird that way, they have two of several attractions. If you look at the waterpark, there are two wave pools, two large tipping bucket interactive play structures and two (almost) identical smaller kids splash and play areas. As for the park, I agree that there is no need for Yo-Yo any longer with the addition of Zephyr but they do seem to enjoy having duplicate rides for some reason lol!!

We used to have duplicate wooden coasters for quite some time as well. (awwww..too soon?)

My hope was that with the removal of both the log flume back in '09 and White Water Falls recently that CF would invest in some sort of water coaster or 21st century log flume attraction on the lines of Chiapas Fantasialand. Heck, I wouldn't even object to a Journey to Atlantis type ride.

• 4 weeks later...

Was just looking at the map for Winterfest. Is there any reason Afterburn is the only big coaster running? I understand at other parks how they block off areas for holiday events, but this one seems to go throughout the park and all the thrill coasters are closed. Carowinds has to have one of the mildest climates of all CF parks, so surely it isn't weather related?

Was just looking at the map for Winterfest. Is there any reason Afterburn is the only big coaster running? I understand at other parks how they block off areas for holiday events, but this one seems to go throughout the park and all the thrill coasters are closed. Carowinds has to have one of the mildest climates of all CF parks, so surely it isn't weather related?

Cedar Fair has decided to go a different direction with their winter events than Six Flags, has, focusing more on family rides and less on coasters. They could run every coaster in the park on most (if not all) days if they really wanted to and didn't mind shifting around maintenance schedules a bit.

Personally I have very little interest in Cedar Fair's events because Six Flags is putting them to shame in the thrill ride department, but I'm clearly not the target market. The lights look outstanding though...