TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Carowinds Discussion Thread

P. 417 - Fury back open now with 100% less crack!

Any advice for a first-timer?

Strategically you should ride Nighthawk first followed by Ricochet but if you walk through the front gate and realize there's no way in hell you're doing anything other than going straight to Fury nobody would blame you.

After an 8-hour drive from Ohio, I made it to my hotel by the park, and had some bomb-a$$ Mexican food from a restaurant near my hotel. I've never been to Carowinds before, and I'm so looking forward to going tomorrow.

Also, anyone going to the park tomorrow who would like to meet up? Send me a PM!

If you have a pass do fury early ride time. Then do Nighthawk as bill mentioned and maybe Intimidator. From there do ricochet then you'll be good from there. You'll walk on everything else no problem.

Have fun!

Strategically you should ride Nighthawk first followed by Ricochet but if you walk through the front gate and realize there's no way in hell you're doing anything other than going straight to Fury nobody would blame you.

Seriously, getting Nighthawk out of the way before its inevitable ridiculous line IS the "smart" move, but after walking into the park under the awesomeness that is Fury, doing its thang all around you, it's going to be nearly impossible to not go straight there and get on that amazing coaster of bliss!!!

My advice is go to Fury, ride it a bunch. Then go across the park to Afterburn and ride it a bunch. Then spend the rest of the day riding Fury. That's about what I did (while hitting a few other things along the way, although I'd happily replace any of those with more rides on Fury or Afterburn) and I don't regret my decision at all. I don't think I've ever ridden any ride more consecutive times or more times in a single day than I did Fury on my one day there. You're living in Ohio now, and Diamondback is far better than Intimidator, and you have Firehawk if you really want to ride a Vekoma flyer. I guess if you really care about the "credits", then give those other rides a whirl, but you'll be happier on Fury.

Side note, my ride on Hurler was fairly smooth but holy crap is that ride boring. Probably the only ride I've ever been on with trims at the bottom of the first drop.

As mentioned previously ride Nighthawk first as it's line gets ridiculous fast. Ricochet also has a very slow moving line so if you're dead set on the credit, run over there after Nighthawk (also mentioned) because it definitely gets worse later in the day. From there to save a bunch of backtracking, head back towards Goldrusher and County Fair and ride as you get to the rides (counter-clockwise around the park). Fortunately the park in general is not that huge and has the shortcut under NIghthawk that bypasses Planet Snoopy making backtracking easier if you need to. Speaking of Planet Snoopy, be sure to ride Woodstock Gliders if your into flying scooters as they are among the best around. For food, there are many great cuisine options at Harmony Hall for varying tastes...and it's indoors.

Whatever you decide on doing, be sure that you ride Intimidator BEFORE riding Fury 325. Otherwise, Intimidator will be a HUGE let down.

Whatever you decide on doing, be sure that you ride Intimidator BEFORE riding Fury 325. Otherwise, Intimidator will be a HUGE let down.

I really think this is 100% true! I consider Intimidator to be my least favorite B&M Hyper, and I can't help but wonder if I hadn't ridden it after Fury, if my opinion of it wouldn't be different... I know a lot of people use Carowinds and CW as examples of Gigas and Hypers being able to co-exist in the same park just fine, but I actually think it's a negative, based on my experience at Carowinds (haven't been to CW since Leviathan was there, so can't comment.) Fury totally makes Intimidator seem underwhelming, and less-than... Still my second or third favorite coaster in the park though.

My advice is go to Fury, ride it a bunch. Then go across the park to Afterburn and ride it a bunch. Then spend the rest of the day riding Fury.

When I go to Carowinds again, having already gotten the "credits" the first time, all I'm going to do the entire day is ride Fury over and over, and over again, with a brief jaunt over to Afterburn to ride it a few times, then hitting Intimidator for a token ride, before going back to Fury the rest of the day!

Thanks for the advice, everyone! Park is pretty dead so it looks like I'll get plenty of rerides on whatever I'd like, plus maybe time to go eat at my hotel room. Rode Fury 7 times during passholder ERT, and OMG I see why it's gotten so much attention. I got some pretty strong airtime in the front in the second half of the ride, and better laterals at the beginning toward the back. Not sure which row I like better.

So far I rode Nighthawk/Stealth, then Intimidator, Woodstock (I actually like these), and just got off Flyers (you're right, I'll have to ride this one again. I love these things!) I'll probably skip the mouse, Boomerang, and other kids coasters. I'm intrigued by notoriously bad coasters so I'm preparing myself for Vortex, Hurler, and the Arrow.

Speaking of bad, can we talk about Nighthawk? I thought I'd love it since I love Firehawk and this one has a great location, but it hurt. Maybe it's because I got put in the back? Thinking of trying again in the front.

Edit: Afterburn was AMAZING!! Rode it 5 times and it ripped my face off. I might need a break.

Thanks for the advice, everyone! Park is pretty dead so it looks like I'll get plenty of rerides on whatever I'd like, plus maybe time to go eat at my hotel room. Rode Fury 7 times during passholder ERT, and OMG I see why it's gotten so much attention. I got some pretty strong airtime in the front in the second half of the ride, and better laterals at the beginning toward the back. Not sure which row I like better.

So far I rode Nighthawk/Stealth, then Intimidator, Woodstock (I actually like these), and just got off Flyers (you're right, I'll have to ride this one again. I love these things!) Edit: Afterburn was AMAZING!! Rode it 5 times and it ripped my face off. I might need a break.

Fury, the kick ass flyers and Harmony Hall are the reasons we go to Carowinds. Glad you're having such a great day!! Afterburn is fantastic as well. We'll be there in 5.5 weeks for the first time since last fall. Take some pics to share with us!

Sounds like you're having a great day at the park! I wondered how the passholder ERT would be since Fury was all that was open but I also rode it 7 times in the half hour before park opening and didn't have to leave the station before that point. Good luck with Vortex if you end up trying it. Somehow my brother talked me into riding it with him and it was the worst standup I've ridden. Lol

On the subject of a giga and hyper co-existing, I actually found that Intimidator had a longer line than Fury when I walked past it at different times of the day, although this was probably mostly due to slower operations (the Fury crew was fantastic all day when I was there) and 2 trains instead of 3. People seemed to enjoy riding both of them.

Just wanted to say thanks for all this great info. We're visiting for the first time in August. I already know it will be tough to not just head straight to Fury.

Same here! My first day at the park is actually in exactly a month, and we will have a hard time NOT immediately heading to Fury!

However, they seem to have early entry for passholders, so we plan on getting to the park 30 minutes early and riding Fury as many times as possible, then once the park opens, head to Nighthawk and Ricochet and take the "smart" route.

Good luck with Vortex if you end up trying it.

Oh man, it was AWFUL. One and done. I can handle rough/bad coasters pretty well but Vortex is definitely up there with the worst coasters I've ever ridden. CGA Vortex was awful and this one is too. I haven't ridden Patriot yet, but a conversion cannot make it worse than it already is.

#teamconvertit

Cyclone hurt too but not nearly as bad. It was boring along with Goldrusher and Hurler. As of now, I really have no desire to ride anything again except Fury, Intimidator, Afterburn, the Flyers, and maybeee Nighthawk. When I got done with the PoS known as Vortex, Fury was down for a bit because an employee was under the ride doing something, so I left to take lunch/hotel break.

1913084231_IMG_54802.thumb.jpg.4c6e58679733cfb0e7e850557a55ade2.jpg

How I feel about Vortex

IMG_5485.thumb.jpg.36a6160e5be0da9de9878a103091a48a.jpg

So much pain.

IMG_5494.thumb.jpg.e4fb74c06ec16e2ae0599932e0289c2a.jpg

This one is great!

Edited by RAWKIN_coaster38

On the subject of a giga and hyper co-existing, I actually found that Intimidator had a longer line than Fury when I walked past it at different times of the day, although this was probably mostly due to slower operations (the Fury crew was fantastic all day when I was there) and 2 trains instead of 3. People seemed to enjoy riding both of them.

Intimidator has bins in the station. That slows things down quite a bit. At least it did last time I was there. They don't seem to hustle as much either and it had perhaps a 15-20 minute wait, vs. Fury 325's 5-10 minute with about the same amount of people in line. I know this can vary by day or hour, but just an observation last visit.

Good luck with Vortex if you end up trying it.

Oh man, it was AWFUL. One and done. I can handle rough/bad coasters pretty well but Vortex is definitely up there with the worst coasters I've ever ridden. CGA Vortex was awful and this one is too. I haven't ridden Patriot yet, but a conversion cannot make it worse than it already is.

#teamconvertit

Cyclone hurt too but not nearly as bad. It was boring along with Goldrusher and Hurler. As of now, I really have no desire to ride anything again except Fury, Intimidator, Afterburn, and maybeee Nighthawk. When I got done with the PoS known as Vortex, Fury was down for a bit because an employee was under the ride doing something, so I left to take lunch/hotel break.

Vortex was great in it's early days. It wasn't too bad last time I was there in 2015, but was still a one and done. I say convert as well.

Hurler was once great as well the first several years it was open. However since they added that trim at the bottom, I almost fall asleep after the first drop. I would say convert it as well, but the park really needs a great ground up wooden coaster (GCI please?). Goldrusher I love for nostalgia since it was the first coaster I fell in love with and second coaster I ever rode. Woodstock Express, then known as Scooby Doo, was my first and I was tricked to get on it at the age of five. It scared me to death and wouldn't get on anything for years after that. Of course I still get a ride each visit. Carolina Cyclone was my first looper and it, like the others, was much better years ago. I only ride it once per visit. Maybe it's just getting older, but I'm scared I'll get whiplash on those corkscrews (and that turn from hell before it). Would be nice to get the Vekoma trains to breathe new life into it, should they keep it in service for years to come. You can keep Nighthawk, I loved it when I first rode in 2008. but the last time I couldn't wait to get off and just tear it down...lol

Just to throw it out there. I think most don't know that Fury's current crew was the original crew from Intimidator when Intimidator first came on the scene and was rocking out operations. #FUNFACT

I was at the park recently and there's a lot of survey markers in planet snoopy. I'm hearing "allegedly" they are going to be some ride relocations or rearranging going on over there. Possibly to fit in the breakdance that Carowinds supposedly got and not break the current foot print of Planet Snoopy maybe? One ride looks to be already getting dismantled and rumor has the merry-go-round is being relocated as well. I've been putting my dollar on a planet snoopy expansion for 2018 as that is the only area that hasn't been touched or expanded as of yet. Again this just rumors. The ride in question could just be getting late maintenance done? Take with a grain of salt.

Edited by pproteinc

I didn't think Vortex was terrible but it was definitely one and done. Same with Cyclone. Both rides could use some tlc for sure.

Nighthawk was a different story. I actually enjoyed it and rode twice with my son. Better than Firehawk in my opinion.

Just to throw it out there. I think most don't know that Fury's current crew was the original crew from Intimidator when Intimidator first came on the scene and was rocking out operations. #FUNFACT

I was at the park recently and there's a lot of survey markers in planet snoopy. I'm hearing "allegedly" they are going to be some ride relocations or rearranging going on over there. Possibly to fit in the breakdance that Carowinds supposedly got and not break the current foot print of Planet Snoopy maybe? One ride looks to be already getting dismantled and rumor has the merry-go-round is being relocated as well. I've been putting my dollar on a planet snoopy expansion for 2018 as that is the only area that hasn't been touched or expanded as of yet. Again this just rumors. The ride in question could just be getting late maintenance done? Take with a grain of salt.

I've been expecting the 2018 project to be a floorless conversion for Vortex. I never gave thought to a Planet Snoopy expansion. Now that you mentioned it, that really does seem more likely.

I've been expecting the 2018 project to be a floorless conversion for Vortex. I never gave thought to a Planet Snoopy expansion. Now that you mentioned it, that really does seem more likely.

If the floorless was happening in 2018 it would have been mentioned in the 4 coaster announcement or teased somehow. Nothing in the description of the coasters points to it. I expect 2019 is the conversion of Vortex and then Carowinds gets a ground up coaster in 2020.

So I bought the all season drink paper cup plan at Valleyfair thinking it was good at all Cedar Fair parks. The pass was not honored anywhere at Carowinds and when I went to guest relations they told me to call ValleyFair. ValleyFair told me it was only valid at the park you bought it at. I thought the whole point of this paper cup pass was that it was good at all CF parks. Anybody else have this problem?

So I bought the all season drink paper cup plan at Valleyfair thinking it was good at all Cedar Fair parks. The pass was not honored anywhere at Carowinds and when I went to guest relations they told me to call ValleyFair. ValleyFair told me it was only valid at the park you bought it at. I thought the whole point of this paper cup pass was that it was good at all CF parks. Anybody else have this problem?

I did not have any such problem when I used that same plan earlier this season at both Kings Dominion and Carowinds within a day of each other. Something seems off here.

I've used it at 3 parks so far this year. Straight from the official Valleyfair website:

0c616e97cb67cf9f64754d66e7037876.jpg

Edit: Did you already purchase the pass and attach it to the card? You have to BUY it from the park your pass is from. Granted you can do that online and put in your barcode. You wouldn't be able to purchase it from a different park. Does that make sense?

I would contact them again and tell them the hassle you went through. That way both parks can get the proper training. They are usually good at making things right for your time, too.

We had a little snafu the first or second weekend at one park, only one time, they claimed we had the bottle not the pass but went to guest relations and confirmed we didn't have the bottle on file and they messed up. But other than that we've had no issues.

Edited by anonymouscactus

I have the paper cup season pass drink plan and have used it at Kings Dominion, Knott's, Cedar Point, and Kings Island thus far. One thing I can think of is that when you look at the drinks page, there is a all season bottle and all season drink plan add on. Is the bottle plan with the cup option only at your home park and the all season drink add on with cup option good at all parks? The other thought is, do you have a dining plan at all? If so, Is it the home park plan or the all parks plan? I have the all parks dining plan. Maybe the drinks are linked to the dining plan if you have one. Just spit balling.

As long as you have a Platinum pass it should work at all the parks. The drink plan will not work if you have a regular pass and purchased a day ticket. I have heard the meal plan is now requiring you scan your pass to get into the park so if you somehow made it past the gate without the pass being scanned I could see the drink plan not working.

I ran into a similar problem at Knott's last year with the meal plan. The parks connection to the other parks was down. So only passes from Knott's would scan and work. They had to call customer service and lookup my pass every time I used it all day. This is why scanning a pass at a park other than your home park typically takes an extra second or two.

So far this year I have used the drink plan at Kings Island, Cedar Point, and Carowinds.

So I figured out that apparently the drink plan was not put on my Platinum Pass correctly... So I have to call ValleyFair to get everything straightened (even though I already have and they gave me false info) out since Carowinds could do nothing since my PP is for ValleyFair... What a mess!!

Anyway just spent the last two days at the park and had a blast. Love the new County Fair area, they really did a nice job with the expansion.

So in reading Screamscape today. They seem to be hearing a rumor of a 2019 Iron Hurler, which I don't doubt would happen in the future. However, I really expected to see a Rougarou treatment of Vortex next. Anyone think we could see two conversions in two years? Honestly, if there was an RMC next to Fury I would never leave that junction of the park...