TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Carowinds Discussion Thread

P. 417 - Fury back open now with 100% less crack!

Incredible Hulk is the equivalent of a retrack. GhostRider and Legend aren't new credits so why would Hulk be a new credit?

As for me, I have a coaster-count.com account so whatever it calls I credit, I just agree with. It's not worth the fuss for me to worry about. I enjoy keeping track, but not to the extent that I need to justify a credit. Just ride and enjoy.

I don't count credits at all. I just was interested in the response to that question, as a complete re-track is essentially a clone of itself.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Incredible Hulk is the equivalent of a retrack. GhostRider and Legend aren't new credits so why would Hulk be a new credit?

Because, (and I hate getting into this debate) when a wooden coaster is retracked, a few layers of wood are stripped away and fresh lumber is placed where it was. Some sections may be reprofiled and new trains may be added. When Hulk was "retracked," B&M had to reforge the entire track and trains while the old materials are gathering rust in a landfill.

Personally, I'll count New Hulk as a separate credit, RMC I-Boxes as new credits, but retracking/reprofiling/retraining is the same credit.

But can we please get back to the Fury worship now?

At the park for my first time today and I have to say, Fury is amazing. I love everything about it and it might be my new favorite ride. We've been on it 16 times so far today. Afterburn is also awesome (aside from the fact that it just broke down so we're sitting outside the queue at the moment). One of the best inverts I've been on.

it could be the most forceless layout ever
It definitely isn't.

Fury has the comfy trains like Nitro and a couple B&M-y moves with their typical grace, but Fury (particularly at night) feels like zipping around in a fighter plane.

I'm visiting the park next weekend and looking for some good food spots. We should be arriving around dinner time on Saturday so we're looking for some ideas. A good BBQ and craft beer spot would be ideal.

At the park for my first time today and I have to say, Fury is amazing. I love everything about it and it might be my new favorite ride. We've been on it 16 times so far today. Afterburn is also awesome (aside from the fact that it just broke down so we're sitting outside the queue at the moment). One of the best inverts I've been on.

16 times a couple hours into the day? I'm jealous. Only got on Fury 4-5 times in the 2 days I was at the park.

^ We were there for early entry and got 7 rides (all but one in the same train and never had to leave the station) between 9:30 and 10. Then all day it didn't have more than a 15 minute wait. We ended up riding it 23 times throughout the day.

I know if it ever happens, it's a while out.. But with KD's getting RMC Hurler, if they ever do the Carowinds version, do you think they will just copy the KD's version, or go with another custom layout?? I know RMC hasn't reprofiled any rides that were duplicate rides as of yet.

I would suspect that: a) They will RMC it eventually, probably their next coaster "addition" after they turn Vortex Floorless, and b) it may be similar, but I don't think it will be an exact copy, but will be a unique design specific for Carowinds.

Hey there! I'm hitting Carowids up for the first time this Monday, I come in peace from californias great America

Question: weather forecast says there will be thunderstorms, what is the park policy for this? We plan on doing the whole day as it's the only day we are able to go. Does the park close and reopen when a weather event like that happens?

Hey there! I'm hitting Carowids up for the first time this Monday, I come in peace from californias great America

Question: weather forecast says there will be thunderstorms, what is the park policy for this? We plan on doing the whole day as it's the only day we are able to go. Does the park close and reopen when a weather event like that happens?

The thunderstorms generally pop up in the afternoon/early evenings and usually are just passing. I looked and it says scattered PM thunderstorms, so sounds about right. Most rides will shut down with lightning in the area (within 5 miles?) and reopen when it passes. Some will close down for high winds (like Windseeker, Fury 325 & Skytower). Most will run in the rain.

Spent today at the park and really enjoyed it. Had the feel of a Paramount / Kings park which is a good thing to me. It wasn't very crowded so lines were short. We were able to make 2 laps around the park hitting most coasters at least once. Fury was never more than a 10 minute wait so we got 5 rides on that one. Really fun coaster.

It's always funny to me how completely confused Californians are by weather.

It stormed 7-9 when I went last year. After the storm passed, they opened up Fury 325 and I got a bunch of rides on it in the last hour.

Do they still assign seats on Fury like they did opening year?

When I went opening day, they had a grouper at the top of the steps, but they were usually pretty flexible if you had a request for which row to sit in. I don't remember them ever saying "no, you can't ride in the front/back row" to anyone at all. Just ask nicely and I'm sure they'll accommodate.

When I went opening day, they had a grouper at the top of the steps, but they were usually pretty flexible if you had a request for which row to sit in. I don't remember them ever saying "no, you can't ride in the front/back row" to anyone at all. Just ask nicely and I'm sure they'll accommodate.

This was the same for me when I went a couple weeks ago. Sometimes there was a grouper, sometimes there wasn't (it was a 0-10 minute wait all day). We asked for a specific row a few times and were never told no, and it was the same for everyone else that I saw that asked.

I also want to say that Fury has a great crew. Those guys fly around the station and really push out trains quickly. They run 3 trains without a MCBR and I almost never saw it double stack, and many times we never even stopped on the brake run. The pre-lift block helps a lot with this, of course, but I was really impressed with how quickly they were pushing out trains.

When we went on Sunday we were able to ask for seating. However, yesterday we were assigned seats. I guess it depends on who is working and how busy they are.

After an 8-hour drive from Ohio, I made it to my hotel by the park, and had some bomb-a$$ Mexican food from a restaurant near my hotel. I've never been to Carowinds before, and I'm so looking forward to going tomorrow.

Any advice for a first-timer?

Also, anyone going to the park tomorrow who would like to meet up? Send me a PM!