TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Carowinds Discussion Thread

P. 417 - Fury back open now with 100% less crack!

I see Afterburn and Banshee as polar opposites. Afterburn is short, tight, compact, intense, and leaves you exhilarated. But Banshee is enormous, graceful, swooping, and leaves you awe-inspired. And I love them both for that.

I think you nailed it here, and I think this speaks to one's personal preference when it comes to an Invert experience. While I did really like Afterburn (still #4 Invert), I personally prefer the "awe-inspired", "graceful" nature of Banshee (or Alpengeist - at least back in the day) more!

Hey Larry, can you try to explain what you like about Plants vs. Zombies? When we rode it last year we thought it was the stupidest thing on the planet. We had no idea what we were doing except sort of shooting at things, but there didn't seem to be any way to tell who shot what or when or why. Boyfriend thought it was horrible. It's got air conditioning and you sit down for several minutes so I really want to like it... convert me, please!

It could be done better, as you have to figure out where each gun is firing. Each gun has a unique color and number. which is noted on your seat (this is addressed in the pre-video). Once you fire a test shot and locate where your gun is firing you adjust your aim with each shot. I completely agree it would be more fun if the guns were calibrated properly and it was easier to locate your shot. The reasons I like it.

1) I like shooting rides

2) I like the concept

3) I like indoor attractions

I completely understand it is not for everybody

Hey Larry, can you try to explain what you like about Plants vs. Zombies? When we rode it last year we thought it was the stupidest thing on the planet. We had no idea what we were doing except sort of shooting at things, but there didn't seem to be any way to tell who shot what or when or why. Boyfriend thought it was horrible. It's got air conditioning and you sit down for several minutes so I really want to like it... convert me, please!

It could be done better, as you have to figure out where each gun is firing. Each gun has a unique color and number. which is noted on your seat (this is addressed in the pre-video). Once you fire a test shot and locate where your gun is firing you adjust your aim with each shot. I completely agree it would be more fun if the guns were calibrated properly and it was easier to locate your shot. The reasons I like it.

1) I like shooting rides

2) I like the concept

3) I like indoor attractions

I completely understand it is not for everybody

While I enjoyed Plants vs Zombies for what it is, I think it helps if you have a little knowledge of the game as well. I don't play PvZ at home but I happened to be at Carowinds with some avid players that explained it a little. The best tip I got was, try to shoot as many golden gnomes as you can to rack up points. I came in 2nd in a room full of people with only that little bit of knowledge. I like dark rides and shooters as well but this was a one and done for me where as Boo Blasters is more re-rideable IMO. Also, it took me a minute to get my bearings when it started because it is a very busy game with things flying around everywhere.

It is a little difficult but once you find where your gun is shooting it's not bad.I might do it two or three times a visit just to get away from the heat. I haven't been since October but the last time I rode it the paint was looking pretty much awful on the guns and seats. Makes me wonder how long they were planning on keeping it around.

Thanks guys for the info on PvZ! We did not see an intro video as we walked pretty much right onto the ride when the doors were open, so that definitely didn't help our experience LOL. We aren't video game people so had no idea what the storyline was but absolutely love Boo Blasters and figured it'd be similar Sadly, Blasters at Carowinds last year was in terrible condition and none of the targets or guns worked. Shame since the one at Kings Dominion is awesome. But I'll make sure to look at the gun and seat so I know which is mine, and look forward to killing as many golden gnomes as possible!

Thanks guys for the info on PvZ! We did not see an intro video as we walked pretty much right onto the ride when the doors were open, so that definitely didn't help our experience LOL. We aren't video game people so had no idea what the storyline was but absolutely love Boo Blasters and figured it'd be similar Sadly, Blasters at Carowinds last year was in terrible condition and none of the targets or guns worked. Shame since the one at Kings Dominion is awesome. But I'll make sure to look at the gun and seat so I know which is mine, and look forward to killing as many golden gnomes as possible!

You're welcome!

Let us know how round 2 goes!

They've updated Boo Blasters at Carowinds. All the targets are working and the animatronics I didn't know moved are now moving and responding when their targets are hit.

Great to hear. When were you on it last? I was there opening weekend and it wasn't working correctly.

I posted a similar question in the KD thread a few days ago, but I'm looking for an answer for Carowinds as well.

It looks like I'll be visiting for the first time in early August of this year on a Thursday (either the 3rd or the 10th). Will one full day with FastLane+ be good to cover everything, including multiple re-rides on Fury, Intimidator, and Afterburn? We're currently planning out a quad-Cedar Fair trip (Carowinds, KD, KI, and CP) to get some great use out of our Platinum Passes, and spending one full day at this park rather than two may help us in the long run in order to have a sufficient amount of time and flexibility at the other three parks. We plan on doing a one-way trip... flying into Charlotte and out of Cleveland.

Thanks in advance. I can't wait to finally ride Fury... I've been so patient since it opened! lol

^ It should not be a problem at all with FL+ on a Thursday.

We went on a weekday during the summer and got more than enough rides on anything...and that was without FL+. Granted it was like a bazillion degrees and they didn't have Fury at the time. But we still did the water park for a couple of hours, did most of the dry side, left the park and went out for an early dinner, went back to the hotel to have a couple of cocktails (waiting for it to cool down a bit) and then went back into the park for some night rides and to see the fireworks show.

I seem to recall riding Intimidator about six times without ever getting off to end the night there.

I posted a similar question in the KD thread a few days ago, but I'm looking for an answer for Carowinds as well.

It looks like I'll be visiting for the first time in early August of this year on a Thursday (either the 3rd or the 10th). Will one full day with FastLane+ be good to cover everything, including multiple re-rides on Fury, Intimidator, and Afterburn? We're currently planning out a quad-Cedar Fair trip (Carowinds, KD, KI, and CP) to get some great use out of our Platinum Passes, and spending one full day at this park rather than two may help us in the long run in order to have a sufficient amount of time and flexibility at the other three parks. We plan on doing a one-way trip... flying into Charlotte and out of Cleveland.

Thanks in advance. I can't wait to finally ride Fury... I've been so patient since it opened! lol

You will likely not need a Fast Lane pass at all. I would suggest waiting until you arrive at the park to measure the crowds before deciding on if it's worth the extra cost of buying it. The dry side of the park is very manageable on weekdays as the majority of people tend to flock to the water park. You should be able to get plenty of re-rides on those you selected. Without Fast Lane I would suggest riding Nighthawk first if you're going at opening as it's operations are quite slow.

^ and ^^ Thanks for the info. I'm really surprised to hear how not-crowded these parks are. A couple people in the KD thread were telling me the same thing about non-existent crowds at I305 and others. We might still end up buying FastLane+ anyway, but we definitely will not purchase it until we are at the park and see what it's like. Great news!

I'm planning on taking my first trip to Carowinds on Thursday, May 18. For the first time, I have a Cedar Fair Platinum Pass. I checked Carowinds' website, but I wasn't able to find any information about (1) early entry, or (2) exclusive ride times for Platinum Passholders on that date. Would anyone be able to help me? Thanks.

Unfortunately there's no early entry that day, probably since the park opens an hour earlier than normal anyway. Here's the early ride time schedule if you're curious.

The good news is, I expect that day to be dead. I can't promise anything since I don't even know why they're open and the 9 AM opening leads me to believe they've booked a ton of school groups but I still have a hard time believing they'll have much of a crowd that day.

^^ & ^^^ That day is an education type day and opens at 9 to accommodate school groups that would need to leave early afternoon. They do tend to get busy for those...not weekend, peak summer or holiday busy, but there will be some waits at the lower capacity rides.

They also usually don't have any early access during those days.

The reason for the line at Fury is the unusually large amount of school groups that are in the park today. There were lots of buses in bus parking when I got there at 9:30 and security was a mess. By the time I left, buses were still coming in and it looked like bus parking was almost full.

Also, I am happy to report that all the effects on Boo Blasters are working again!

Fury pretty much never has a line (glances at webcam... well except for today), if I were you I'd ride Nighthawk first, followed by Ricochet if you want to ride them.
Something else to consider about Fury's line is that it moves quicker than you would expect for the number of people in it. At least when I was there last year, the crew was determined to get trains out of there as soon as they could, and these are big B&M trains with 32 people per train.