TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags announces Six Flags Dubailand.

ARTICLE

Tatweer, a member of Dubai Holding, announced today a strategic alliance with US-based Six Flags Inc, the world's largest theme park company, to develop thrill-driven theme parks across the Arab world.

The highlight of the strategic alliance will be the development of Six Flags Dubailand, a five million square feet multi-billion dirham theme park within the world’s largest tourism, leisure and entertainment destination.

The first Six Flags project to be developed outside of North America, the theme park comes as part of Tatweer’s tactical contribution to Dubai Strategic Plan 2015, which aims to develop the emirate into a leading global hub for tourism and leisure, said a statement.

Featuring its signature line-up of thrill and themed adventure rides and attractions, Six Flags Dubailand will boast world renowned entertainment franchises such as the children's musical group Wiggles and professional skateboarder Tony Hawk. The park’s unique components will complement Six Flags’ award-winning productions and original programming, such as Operation Spygirl, the 'Big E' Entertainment Award recipient at the 2007 IAPAA Trade Show and Convention.

Tatweer and Six Flags Dubailand also will work together to integrate their expertise to create new concepts across the region, such as Six Flags theme parks, branded restaurants, hotels and retail outlets that will holistically offer unique travel and vacation opportunities for tourists, families and visitors worldwide, the statement said.

For the theme park project, Six Flags will conceptualise and oversee the master plan based on its history in that arena, which includes the development, ownership and management of 21 parks across North America. Groundbreaking is expected in 2009. Additionally, the Six Flags corporate alliance division will represent Dubailand for international corporate sponsorship opportunities.

Saeed Al Muntafiq, executive chairman of Tatweer, said: "The addition of Six Flags, one of the world’s most reputed leisure and entertainment companies, to our burgeoning portfolio complements Dubailand’s value proposition as an unrivalled tourism destination. It is a privilege for Tatweer to be selected by Six Flags as its regional partner and Dubailand as the destination to host the first Six Flags theme park outside of North America.”

Six Flags Dubailand will join the elite repertoire of Tatweer-owned world class projects at Dubailand destination such as Bawadi, The Tiger Woods Dubai, Universal Studios Dubailand, DreamWorks Animation Park, Hit Entertainment and Global Village.

Al Muntafiq added: “The new alliance with yet another global leisure and entertainment leader such as Six Flags consolidates Tatweer’s commitment to becoming a leading global tourism, leisure and entertainment investor, and a key contributor to the tourism objectives of Dubai Strategic Plan 2015.”

Mark Shapiro, president and CEO of Six Flags, said: "This is a historic day for our company.

Expanding Six Flags beyond our current North American borders validates the growing strength and momentum of our brand. Through this partnership with Tatweer, we now have the opportunity to create a world-class theme park destination that will allow guests from around the globe to experience Six Flags' unique combination of thrills and entertainment." – TradeArabia News Service

In my opinion, they should just focus on their US parks but I'm not Mark Shapiro and I don't call the shots. Hopefully it will end up being successful.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know Dubai seems like a great idea to build a park because of it's big economic boom, but I really wish Six Flags would concentrate on it's parks in the U.S. instead of building a new park.

However, I do see Dubai as a possible good source of income for Six Flags but with so many other companies opening parks there, I'm just not sure.

^Dude, this isn't going to happen for almost a decade. Plus, it is a strategic allience, which means Six Flags won't exactly be the sole owners of the park. I can't get around when people think that U.S. firms building overseas will lead to U.S. parks getting neglected. Disney and Universal have been doing it for years and their parks are still the best in the U.S.

This park can probably turn out quite profitable for Six Flags, something that would benefit the US parks. And I would assume most of the financing comes from Dubai. Something that could benefit the coaster line up

It's gonna be interesting to see what kind of coasters they add. Seeing as it is a new park, they must add something more than Tony Hawks and the dark knight. Maybe they even get a new Batman the ride

The first Six Flags project to be developed outside of North America

hmmm, that seems a bit off.

If Six Flags is putting up any of the funding then I question the move, but I suspect they are just leasing their name and helping design the park without putting up much money of their own.

Lets see:

Universal

Busch

DreamWorks

and Now Six Flags

Who are we missing?

Cedar Fair

Disney

Parque Reunidos

Herschends

Etc

I think Dubai has enough theme parks. It would be cool to see Disney develop a park over there. But if Dubai wants another park than Disney should be the last choice. I don't think the other companies would do a good job creating a park over there.

I think Six Flags could gain a lot of profit from a park in Dubai. Good Luck to them

I would guess that this is just a license/consulting deal, much like the Univeral deal in Dubai.

If that is the case...good for SF. It's basically free money.

^Exactly!

It's funny to see people jumping down Six Flags' throat for this announcement when it's even less than what Busch is planning and great for the Six Flags Bottom Line.

Again, I'll really believe all this when some of these parks start opening!!!

I think this is great. Dubailand is going to be huge when its done. Six Flags is already focusing on their US parks by clearing out older, decrepit, carnival like attractions and adding in tons of kids areas while still trying to add the basic thrill/fun rides.

I can see how some people don't like this idea, but you have to spend money to make money. Just have to spend smartly

Let's see...it isn't April 1...

This will be Six Flags' first new park built since Six Flags St. Louis (1971). (Remember that they acquired all of their subsequent properties by buying existing ones and being bought out by then-Premier Parks.)

Best of luck...I hope it's a success.

Eric

^Exactly!

Again, I'll really believe all this when some of these parks start opening!!!

I'm with you on that one. It's getting out of hand how many announcements have been made over the last 5-6 years, but there's still not much to show for it yet besides a nice sales center, giant mall, and the awesome indoor ski place.

Yeah, I'm going to go with what Joey and Elissa said. this is a great move for SF, but it seems odd that stuff keeps getting announced for Dubai, but nothing else seems to happen. I'll be more interested when some of these projects actually look like they're going to open.

dt

This will be Six Flags' first new park built since Six Flags St. Louis (1971). (Remember that they acquired all of their subsequent properties by buying existing ones and being bought out by then-Premier Parks.)

Eric

As far as I remember Warner Bros Movie World Madrid (now Parque Warner) was built and opened by Six Flags.

This is what I found on wikipedia

Parque Warner Madrid (previously known as Warner Bros. Movie World Madrid and Warner Bros. Park) is a theme park located 25 km southeast of Madrid, Spain, in the municipality of San Martín de la Vega. The park opened on April 5, 2002, under the management of the Six Flags chain, with a 5% ownership share held by Time Warner.

This will still be the first Six Flags park they have developed internationally.

ok, that's correct. I didn't realise that we were talking about the actual SF name. On the other hand, WBMWM was known here in Europe as a 'real' SF park.

^ a while ago, I've been talking to a colleague of mine working in Dubai and for the moment, Dubai can be considered as one of the safest cities on earth (after Singapore probably) : police is applying a zero-tollerance which works resulting is very low crime figures.

^ SF Holland existed as Walibi Flevo before. So SF didn't construct that park but bought it.

here some progress pics of the City

http://robinseeds.blogspot.com/2007/09/dubai.html

I can't believe the amount of progress that has gone on in the past 20 years in that area. The size and scope of all of the projects look enormous, and it makes me wonder a couple things.

Where is the money coming from for all of this? And whoever is investing their money, what is making them think that this amount of expansion will benefit them in the future?

Are there that many millions of people that want to live and work in Dubai? Why? Is the weather THAT great? What is so awesome there that requires these huge man made marinas and this huge city skyline?

I just don't get how the size of such a city in the middle of nowhere can grow so fast unless there's a huge flux of people immigrating to the area with pockets full of cash. I've just recently learned about the area as I'm sure a lot of people if you ask go "where's that?" I guess I just don't get the attraction.

But based on what it will be in 10 years, this sounds like an awesome move for Six Flags. And they don't even have to be much a part of it, they can just have their name over there and bring in the dough. Thank you big business!

Wow, this seems like a good idea. But, why isn't this on the Six Flags webpape? I bet the park will be very nice, even if it does have "cloned" rides and roller coasters.

I hope this park will come true. It will help out the SF Family. So I guess this means SF isn't in dept anymore!

-Tatum

Dubai is one of the world's fastest growing cities, and while every residential unit might not be filled, a majority probably will. As for the other things being built, oil revenue(as well as a little from tourism) is paying for it, and it is all being built so that the economy won't crash when there is no more oil.

Just look at Las Vegas and Phoenix. These two cities are in the middle of nowhere, yet they have fast growing populations. People want to live there because the weather is nice, and there are many recreation options. Sure these are hot, but it is not as bad as it could be as there is no humidity. Sure a lot is planned for Dubai, but chances are that everything that is being built will be used.

As for the project, this was a huge shock. I knew Six Flags wanted to build parks in the region, but I just wasn't expecting an announcement so soon. As for what the park will be like, I expect something like WBMWM, so this could be a really nice park.