American Dream Discussion Thread

P. 22: April 2019 opening is announced
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Re: American Dream Discussion Thread

Postby VegasBaby » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:29 pm

gerstlaueringvar wrote:^ Mall of America has 40 million visitors per year. For a project of this scale, I would say attendance like 40 million visitors per year should be expected.

Wow, I didn't realize that the Mall of America drew that kind of attendance. However, it has been around for over 25 years and pretty much everyone has heard of it. I guess that makes the 40 million number for American Dream sound a little more realistic. But I still think it's going to be years before they pull in those kind of numbers. I do hope it's a success though and I plan on visiting it on my next trip out East.
Coaster Count: 208 Last Coaster: Superman Krypton Coaster
Top Ten: 1) Superman:TR 2) Millennium Force 3) X2 4) Skyrush 5) El Toro 6) Twisted Colossus 7) Maverick 8) Lightning Rod 9) Mako 10) Storm Runner

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby ElvisLuv » Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:20 pm

VegasBaby wrote:
gerstlaueringvar wrote:^ Mall of America has 40 million visitors per year. For a project of this scale, I would say attendance like 40 million visitors per year should be expected.

Wow, I didn't realize that the Mall of America drew that kind of attendance. However, it has been around for over 25 years and pretty much everyone has heard of it. I guess that makes the 40 million number for American Dream sound a little more realistic. But I still think it's going to be years before they pull in those kind of numbers. I do hope it's a success though and I plan on visiting it on my next trip out East.

It doesn't hurt that the MOA is connected via rail within minutes to MSP. Many traveling through stay there on long layovers. This American Dream is a bit more challenging because you'll need to uber, taxi or day rent a car from EWR to it. Maybe a local could give the lowdown of transit. This place running a shuttle bus to and from seems to be a no brainer.

Case in point. One of the flights I could choose as an award for my Europe trip with the family via United has me leaving Memphis at 6 am and getting to EWR at 9:40. A host of my end points in Europe don't leave till much later. I could have a window from 8hrs to 13 hrs. United does have a baggage hold service there.

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:04 pm

This article from June addresses transportation enhancements that will occur with the opening of the mall.

Also as an FYI, the CEO of KidZania is projecting 500,000 - 1,000,000 yearly visitors to KidsZania

New Features Announced For American Dream Mall
The $3B entertainment destination will have an 800-room hotel, more than 20 restaurants, and 2 revolving kitchens, among other things.
By Daniel Hubbard, Patch Staff | Jun 21, 2018 8:00 am ET | Updated Jun 21, 2018 9:53 am ET

New Features Announced For American Dream Mall

BERGEN COUNTY, NJ — The closer American Dream Meadowlands gets to its Spring 2019 opening date, the more is found out about what kind of amenities the $3 billion entertainment and retail destination will have.

There will be more than 120 places to eat, including more than 20 sit-down restaurants, and 20,000 square feet dedicated to "health, wellness, beauty, and spa facilities."

An 800-room hotel is also under development. A gourmet food hall will have a cooking studio and two revolving kitchens showcasing up-and-coming chefs and food concepts.

American Dream will use technology to enhance customers' experiences. Augmented reality displays will be available throughout the complex. Smart bracelets will allow parents to shop and stay connected to their children throughout the campus.

Tourists factor big into Triple Five's plans for American Dream Meadowlands. Between 30 and 40 million people could visit American Dream annually. There are plans for a hotel and a special tourism center at the $3 billion entertainment and retail destination.

A reception team will be fluent in Mandarin Chinese, Spanish, French, Russian, Portuguese, Arabic, and other languages. Shuttles will take people to and from airports and New York City.

We already know that a huge LEGOLAND Discovery Center with a 4-D cinema, LEGO brick pool, rides, and classes for kids will be there. There will also be the first Sea Life aquarium in New Jersey. It will feature a tropical ocean tank with a walk-through underwater tunnel. An indoor waterpark and an amusement park are also being built.

KidZania, a miniature city run by kids 4 to 14 years old will also be there. It will have its own currency and companies like Honda, Sony, Kellogg's, Coca-Cola and others have sponsored businesses and landmarks in the attraction.

A commuter shuttle will run between NJ Transit's Meadowlands station and the Secaucus train station.

NJ Transit will operate a direct bus line from the Port Authority Bus Terminal in New York City to American Dream.

New York Waterway is in talks to run a shuttle to take passengers to and from marinas along the Hudson River along the Gold Coast — Edgewater, Weehawken, and North Bergen — to American Dream.

American Dream was originally slated to open in 2017. Then last summer Triple Five pushed back the completion date because it had difficulty securing the $1.1 billion in financing. It worked with Goldman Sachs and J.P. Morgan to secure $1.6 billion in financing earlier this year.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

I own the website www.donkey.com

Postby ThemeParkJunkie51290 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:21 pm

A hotel sounds great! =) I can rest and go back to riding roller coasters again!
ROLLER COASTERS FEAR ME BECAUSE I SHOW NO MERCY!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:46 am

We need to talk about this drop tower.

I've seen it from the highway a few times and it *appears* to be an S&S though it does sort of blend in with the other columns and general mess of the construction site when you're driving at highway speeds (which at that toll plaza is a solid 2-3 miles per hour). That said, it clearly pops WAY through the roof (much higher than the coaster) and considering Takabisha's 141 ft height it looks to be pushing 175-200 feet.

You can see the pop out for the coaster on the left and the drop tower on the right. It's pretty impressive looking and it should give an awesome view of Manhattan if they enclose it in glass (which I'm sure they will).

It's easier to see from the turnpike than the webcam but the webcam gives you a great idea of how tall it is.

Untitled.jpg

Webcams

Postby thrillseeker4552 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:06 pm

Looks great. When we visited NYC for the first time back in 2016, our hotel was in New Rochelle and I had zero idea there was a huge S&S tower that stuck out of a building downtown. It was a really cool surprise. Despite it being tame, the views were still great, and you could see Manhattan way off in the distance if you faced the right direction. I'm sure this one will be even better!
Steel: 160 / Wood: 32 / Total: 192
Home Parks: Knott's (when home), Lagoon (at school)

Postby Canobie Coaster » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:29 pm

I hope it's a turbo drop or combo tower that holds you at the top so you have enough time to appreciate the view. The one in New Rochelle doesn't give you enough time to really take everything in since it's a space shot.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Boulder Dash, Phoenix, Wildfire, Outlaw Run
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Iron Rattler, Fury 325
Most Recent Trip Reports- Stricker's Grove & Camden Park

Full Fledged Donkey Enthusiast!

Postby prospekt88 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:06 pm

I'm pretty interested in how successful this will be. From my experience getting from NYC to the Meadowlands is an absolute nightmare. The train from Penn Station is the worst 8 mile train commute imaginable. The Meadowlands in general is so close to the city yet so far. I can't fathom who will travel there to go shopping with all of the options already available in the city. And it's not like there's many residential areas right nearby.

Hopefully this works out. But unless you are flying in and out of Newark I'm not sure how many people are gonna pencil this into their travel itineraries to NYC. And I don't think any locals east of the Hudson are going to view a trip to this mall as a "leisurely" day out.

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby Rai Fox » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:03 am

Oh wow. I remember when this was first announced as Xanadu, and how excited I was for it, as naive and innocent as I was then, and then years of disappointment as it all seemed to fall apart. It's been a loooong time since I ever expected to see this happen. I'm definitely going to have to check it out next year! If that indoor water park ends up looking like their concept art, I can see spending quite a lot of cold winter time there. Really hoping to see this place succeed now!

I poke manatees in the butt.

Postby Jcoaster » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:18 am

Having this 15 minutes from my house should be very interesting.
Lightening Rod/Skyrush/El Toro/I305/Superman: The Ride/ Twisted Timbers/Storm Chaser/ Apollo's Chariot/Phoenix/Boulder Dash

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!