TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Nickelodeon Universe / American Dream Discussion Thread

I'm excited to see what else they end up putting into the park! Nick Universe at the Mall of America has crammed in a lot and that has been over the course of many years... It'll be interesting to see what the developers do when designing a new park like this from scratch and how much space they'll leave for future additions.

I really don't know how much free space there will be as rent is going to be exorbitant. I hopefully, but not expecting it.

If you have a clever design team, space will never be an issue. What will make or break the potential for expansion is how much leeway they give themselves in regard to the behind-the-scenes stuff - good spots for future structural foundations, an electrical system that can handle much more than they will be using when the park opens, and the like.

I'm excited to see what else they end up putting into the park! Nick Universe at the Mall of America has crammed in a lot and that has been over the course of many years... It'll be interesting to see what the developers do when designing a new park like this from scratch and how much space they'll leave for future additions.

I really don't know how much free space there will be as rent is going to be exorbitant. I hopefully, but not expecting it.

If you have a clever design team, space will never be an issue. What will make or break the potential for expansion is how much leeway they give themselves in regard to the behind-the-scenes stuff - good spots for future structural foundations, an electrical system that can handle much more than they will be using when the park opens, and the like.

I wouldn't disagree with you, but being in a enclosed area will make expansion much more difficult if the room for expansion is not already set aside. Leaving empty floor space in such a high rent mall will initially hurt margins and they need to take in money from the beginning.

Edited by larrygator

That's true, but as long as the behind-the-scenes work is sorted they could work in more tracked rides, like additional roller coasters or a flume ride. Plus, there are other flat rides that they could do. They could elevate loading areas above existing pathways, like Moreys' Flying Skooters or Tivoli Gardens' Star Flyer, so long as a ride only requires a single central foundation.

That's true, but as long as the behind-the-scenes work is sorted they could work in more tracked rides, like additional roller coasters or a flume ride. Plus, there are other flat rides that they could do. They could elevate loading areas above existing pathways, like Moreys' Flying Skooters or Tivoli Gardens' Star Flyer, so long as a ride only requires a single central foundation.

I know, myself and many others were shocked when Nick Universe at MOA added Spongebob.

I know, myself and many others were shocked when Nick Universe at MOA added Spongebob.

Even before, People were shocked when they added Fairly Odd Coaster

My point exactly. The park was already fairly dense before Nick Universe took over and yet they were able to add a good deal including two coasters, a few new flat rides and the ropes course, all within the existing footprint of park's borders. I'm very curious to see if American Dream is being designed with such feasibility in mind... Growing demand (or waning demand) will justify expansion over the years, and since the park can't likely build out beyond their structural borders, they'll have to be able to build into the footprint they've already littered with attractions from the start.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That track style looks like EuroFighter track (you can see the green track in the background). Could they possibly be using two different track colors for the Takabisha clone? The coaster really does feel like two coasters spliced together so it wouldn't shock me.

Apparently the blue coaster is a small Intamin along the lines of Playland's Gale Force (small-footprint multi-launch with inversions). Some social media people have been calling it a "short loop".

rcdb is now showing a Surfrider model along with an LSM, both from Intamin.

Whether or not you consider the Surfrider a coaster or not, even two more big rides at this point are surprising.

Edited by larrygator

$5,000 if they have any hope of turning a profit within the first decade.

I think it will. Accounting isn't as simple as "we spent X amount of money on the place, so we don't turn a profit until we've made X amount of money back."

Brit and I thought that the surf rider at Mall of America was a blast. It was the sleeper hit of the day for us. I’d love one of those.

We were there about a month ago and between nick universe and valleyfair Avatar was our favorite ride

Brit and I thought that the surf rider at Mall of America was a blast. It was the sleeper hit of the day for us. I’d love one of those.

We were there about a month ago and between nick universe and valleyfair Avatar was our favorite ride

I wouldn't go that far but I could see it. It's a ton of fun.

Well... actually I can't see it but if Log Chute were to randomly explode or disappear into a black hole leaving the rest of the planet perfectly intact then yeah, sure.