TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Nickelodeon Universe / American Dream Discussion Thread

• 2 months later...

giphy.gif

Despite the fact that there were about 2 solid weeks in December when construction crews were actually on site, it sounds like for the last 2 months or so construction has been halted again while they wait to see whether $1.15 billion in bonds will be sold to finance the project. In addition, everyone's now freaking out about the impact that the building will have on migratory birds so that's guaranteed to delay the project even further.

Link

• 1 month later...

Thanks to Boldikus to bringing this story (with it's gem if a headline) to my attention...

Work on Meadowlands mall has stalled and developer won't answer questions

giphy.gif

EAST RUTHERFORD -- Work on the American Dream mall has been just about non-existent, months after it was reported in December that construction had stalled.

Borough Mayor James L. Cassella says he has been in the dark about the billion-dollar mega-project, but is hopeful construction will start again soon. "I haven't seen much, maybe a few people, a couple of cars parked," said Cassella last week. "There aren't a lot of people down there."

About two weeks prior to a Dec. 23 stoppage, developer Triple Five released renderings of the project and said work had resumed after a six-month halt.

Triple Five told Northjersey.com that work would resume in 2017 after "the planned holiday slowdown."Since then, the sight of hardhats and sounds of construction has been absent. Although roads and trailer areas around the development were cleared of snow, cranes were at a standstill and only a few pick-up trucks were seen entering a garage last week.

People at the site last week referred all questions to developer Triple Five, which has not responded to multiple requests for comment on work at the site and on a long-delayed $1.15 billion bond issue that is needed to fund construction at the site.

A financing deal calls for the New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority to sell $1.15 billion in bonds to the Wisconsin Public Finance Authority, which will then give the proceeds to Triple Five to work at the mall. NJSEA recently referred all questions on the project to Triple Five.

PCL Construction, a national construction contractor whose signs are posted all around the development, did not respond to a media request. Cassella said he has not had conversations with Triple Five but heard third-hand that construction might begin in four to six weeks. "I know no more than anyone else," Cassella said. "They are not talking."

Despite the silence, borough attorneys are still going back and forth with Triple Five over the language on PILOT, payment in lieu of taxes, payments, Cassella said.

State Sen. Paul Sarlo (D-Bergen) told NorthJersey.com earlier this month that he is looking to sponsor a resolution urging Triple Five to resume construction or allow the state to consider finding an alternative project at the site.

The longer time goes by without activity an estimated 2018 opening date seems more unlikely.

"I don't know if they will open by then," said Cassella. "We are already halfway through March and there are not many really many people working there."

NJ.com

... please try to get over the shock.

PS: There is some speculation that I may have swapped out NJ.com's header image, but like the developer I'm refusing to answer any questions.

I drove by there on Sunday and there were a ton of cranes there. I'm not surprised but I didn't realize they have been just sitting there lol

I don't even pay attention most of the time anymore when I drive by there. The whole thing is a disaster. They should just knock the whole thing down and the arena and just make it into parking for metlife stadium.

In an interview with Blooloop, the president of Triple Five gave an opening date for the project:

However the project has been troubled with delays. The question everyone is asking is, ‘When will American Dream open?’

Ghermezian has the answer. “November 2018,” he says. “We are over 75 percent fully leased now, which is an incredible number, considering the challenging retail environment.

Seems like getting all the retailers on board with leases was one of the big hurdles. I kind of get that, I wouldn't want empty spaces for my grand opening either.

In an interview with Blooloop, the president of Triple Five gave an opening date for the project:

However the project has been troubled with delays. The question everyone is asking is, ‘When will American Dream open?’

Ghermezian has the answer. “November 2018,” he says. “We are over 75 percent fully leased now, which is an incredible number, considering the challenging retail environment.

Seems like getting all the retailers on board with leases was one of the big hurdles. I kind of get that, I wouldn't want empty spaces for my grand opening either.

Let's get this straight:

Nick universe theme dry park

DreamWorks themed water park

Ski slope

SeaLife/Lego combo

New ToysRus flagship store (will it have a ferris wheel?)

Kidzania

Giant wheel on site but outdoors

All by the end of 2018, yeah right.

I have a theory is that they are delaying the bond because they want to bundle it with the Miami project since they got NJ to allow them to go the Wisconsin route.

• 1 month later...

I almost didn't even bother sharing this but we have an official opening date (again). The American Dream Meadowlands shopping and entertainment center is scheduled to open for business "no later than March 19 (2019)," according to NorthJersey.com.

Here's a link to the full story.

... whatever

Saw the thread bumped, thought it burned to the ground finally.

I was disappointed.

Clearly you are not completely in tune with how things are done in New Jersey. Fires do not happen until construction is finished to maximize insurance payouts.

Now just get in line with the rest of the credit whores for the 2019 opening.

I almost didn't even bother sharing this but we have an official opening date (again). The American Dream Meadowlands shopping and entertainment center is scheduled to open for business "no later than March 19 (2019)," according to NorthJersey.com.

... whatever

These folks run two successful malls, gasp, that's right successful. We can complain about their way of doing business but it's getting done and with a hell of a lot more included than the original plans had.

Our plan is to leave from New York for a month long trip to Europe in Summer 2019, maybe I'll get to check it out.

... whatever

These folks run two successful malls, gasp, that's right successful. We can complain about their way of doing business but it's getting done and with a hell of a lot more included than the original plans had.

Our plan is to leave from New York for a month long trip to Europe in Summer 2019, maybe I'll get to check it out.

This place broke ground in 04 and was supposed to originally open in 06 so it's hard to blame anyone for being skeptical about this place actually open in 2019 lol

The NHL NJ Devils who use to play at the Meadowlands when this first broke ground left after the 06-07 season and will now have been at their new arena for over a decade before this disaster opens lol