Kennywood (KW) Discussion Thread

P. 298: "The Steel Curtain" coaster announced!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 5 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Kennywood (KW) Discussion Thread

Postby FeelTheFORCE » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:58 am

Skittles wrote:Brief update from the park. It's been open for a few hours, and I'm not too terribly impressed. Most of the rides didn't even open until 20 minutes after the posted opening time, and the ride ops I felt were pretty slow and some aren't terribly nice. Has a good collection of coasters however; a bit bummed that Sky Rocket is still down, but I have every other cred and rode the flat rides that I was told are some of the better ones. Not sure how much more time I'll spend here. I'm not trying to sound like I'm complaining too much here; it's not a bad park, just needs some operations improvement. Phantom's Revenge kicks A$$ and is easily in my Top 5. Jack Rabbit is a very close second however; that double down makes it a favorite of mine. Thunderbolt and Racer are good too.

They've always done things that way. For as long as I can remember, it's always been a "park gates open at 10:30, rides open at 11:00-ish" type of deal. Phantom runs one train for a while in the beginning until the ops deem it necessary to add the 2nd. They've never been known for great operations, but I think the park's charm kind of masks that a bit.
Total: 235 | Steel: 179 | Wooden: 56

Last Coaster Ridden: Steel Vengeance at Cedar Point on May 13, 2018.

What's with the donkeys anyway?

Postby jconsolmagno » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:33 pm

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby Yubstep101 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:40 pm

My best guess would be somewhere in China, to be honest.
Top 10 Steel: 1. Steel Vengeance 2. Wicked Cyclone 3. Millennium Force 4. Skyrush 5. Iron Rattler 6. Goliath (SFOG) 7. Lightning Run 8. Diamondback 9. Nitro 10. Superman: The Ride (SFNE)

Top 10 Wood: 1. El Toro 2. Mystic Timbers 3. The Voyage 4. The Beast 5. Goliath (SFGAM) 6. Shivering Timbers 7. American Thunder 8. Lightning Racer 9. Hades 360 10. Prowler (WOF)

Coaster Count: 182

"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Postby JJLehto » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:13 pm

FeelTheFORCE wrote:
Skittles wrote:Brief update from the park. It's been open for a few hours, and I'm not too terribly impressed. Most of the rides didn't even open until 20 minutes after the posted opening time, and the ride ops I felt were pretty slow and some aren't terribly nice. Has a good collection of coasters however; a bit bummed that Sky Rocket is still down, but I have every other cred and rode the flat rides that I was told are some of the better ones. Not sure how much more time I'll spend here. I'm not trying to sound like I'm complaining too much here; it's not a bad park, just needs some operations improvement. Phantom's Revenge kicks A$$ and is easily in my Top 5. Jack Rabbit is a very close second however; that double down makes it a favorite of mine. Thunderbolt and Racer are good too.

They've always done things that way. For as long as I can remember, it's always been a "park gates open at 10:30, rides open at 11:00-ish" type of deal. Phantom runs one train for a while in the beginning until the ops deem it necessary to add the 2nd. They've never been known for great operations, but I think the park's charm kind of masks that a bit.

heh...funny what we will look past when at a smaller park eh?
If anything is less than immaculate at the bigger parks the cascade of gripe will flow over the internet.

Good to know though, I will be sure to take my time and enjoy the park and take it all in and not be too concerned about racing around.
Top 10 Steel: Wicked Cyclone, Millennium Force, Storm Chaser, Skyrush, I305, Maverick, Lightning Run, Superman (SFNE), Storm Runner, Kumba
Top 10 Wood: Voyage, Phoenix, El Toro, Boulder Dash, Mystic Timbers, Lightning Racer, Grizzly (KD), Legend, Raven, Beast
2018 Parks: Busch Gardens Tampa, Kings Island, Kentucky Kingdom, Holiday World New creds: 26

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby DILinator » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:02 am

prozach626 wrote:
TunaSled wrote:Bummed about Sky Rocket, our first visit is in two weeks. I feel like I will have a great park experience, coaster credit notwithstanding.

I'd prefer it to be open, but I don't think we're missing much. There are plenty of similar launched coasters out there. I'm more focused on Pantom's Revenge, the classic wooden coasters, and Exterminator. Those rides seem to be a bit more unique. I know Exterminator seems somewhat typical, but apparently the themeing is great.

Having been to KW and ridden Sky Rocket, I'd agree. It's kind of fun, and not a bad coaster by any means. But at KW, you have those older woodies, with both Jack Rabbit (awesome!) and Thunderbolt being very unique (Racer is probably my least favorite coaster there, honestly though), as well as a riotously fun indoor coaster (I'll leave out any other details so as not to spoil it) in Exterminator. PLUS, one of my personal favorite roller coasters, the amazing Phantom's Revenge! So yeah, a coaster like Sky Rocket that's just "good", isn't anything to lose sleep over missing, unless you're hung up on your coaster count - which I know you aren't! ;) Enjoy your time there! I can't wait to take my kids to this awesome park! Though I'll probably wait until 2019 at this point!

Top 10 Coasters! 1.Steel Vengeance 2.Fury 3.Millennium Force 4.Maverick 5.Twisted Timbers 6.The Voyage 7. Lightning Rod 8.Storm Chaser 9.El Toro 10.Phantom's Revenge Honorable Mentions: Ravine Flyer II Shivering Timbers, Kraken Mako Underrated Coasters: Steel - Manta, Wood - White Lightning

There is no such thing as a donkey punch.

Postby Skittles » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:49 am

That yellow "Mega Coaster" track, if it's in North America, would be for California's Great America (just a guess at this point, obv.) Assuming that all the other rumors I've heard are true about one coming in 2020.
Last edited by Skittles on Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:12 am.
Coaster Count - 104 (as of Carowinds; my count is up to date with my trip report thread)

Top 10 under construction as I'm on my trip.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby crw16 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:07 am

Married a Canadian wrote:We took a quick picture after his first ride. I don't think the poor teenage ride attendant understood why I shook his hand and was high fiving people afterwards. Sometimes we don't think about how much work goes into something even as simple as "going on a roller coaster".

Awesome,. great story. Im so happy for you and your son. Nothing beats that.

Challenge me at Donkey Kong...I dare ya!

Postby PhantomNick » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:56 am

Exciting news!! Kennywood is set to announce their new 2019 attraction this Thursday, July 19th!

Kennywood 2019 Announcement this Thursday!!!

After months of rumors and speculation, Kennywood finally is set to disclose what its mysterious new ride will be.

Kennywood officials have scheduled a news conference Thursday for the big reveal on the project mysteriously dubbed Project 412 that will debut in 2019. There is strong sentiment that the new attraction will be a mega-sized coaster that will utilize the lagoon, the vacant space formerly occupied by the Log Jammer water ride that was retired last year, and possibly some of the property located behind that space and the Racer that currently is used for storage.

Kennywood has promised that the ride designer will be on hand for the project's official groundbreaking ceremony to take place after the news conference.

The West Mifflin amusement park has teased the project for the past month via an online game and word search puzzle. More than 2,500 contest entries have been received from those attempting to guess exactly what the project will be.

In a live stream with one of the local news stations, Kennywood's PR guy revealed there will be a news conference at Noon to reveal details for Project 412! They claim the ride designer will also be in attendance for an "official groundbreaking ceremony" to take place after the news conference.

Home park or not, I'm really stoked for this big announcement!! They've done a great job with the teaser campaign and kept everything very secret, which is pretty rare nowadays!
Last edited by jedimaster1227 on Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:57 am.
I would rather be off riding coasters!

Steel Top 5 - (1) Steel Vengeance (2) Skyrush (3) Fury 325 (4) Millennium Force (5-tie) Phantom's Revenge (5-tie) Maverick
Wood Top 5 - (1) El Toro (2) Phoenix (3) Voyage (4) Ravine Flyer II (5) Shivering Timbers

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby thrillseeker4552 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:26 am

Well that will be a fun birthday present, for me! I’m pumped.
Steel: 160 / Wood: 32 / Total: 192
Home Parks: Knott's (when home), Lagoon (at school)

I own the website www.donkey.com

Postby ThemeParkJunkie51290 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:45 am

Excellent! =) I can't wait to see what's in store for Kennywood, and I'm sure it's going to be fantastic!
ROLLER COASTERS FEAR ME BECAUSE I SHOW NO MERCY!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!