Kennywood (KW) Discussion Thread

P. 298: "The Steel Curtain" coaster announced!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Kennywood (KW) Discussion Thread

Postby prozach626 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:12 pm

Jcoaster wrote:I would love to see one of Vekoma’s new coastees here.

Geauga Dog wrote:I would like to see Kennywood add something that the region doesn't currently have or something that the park currently is missing from their lineup.

I agree with these statements. It would be exciting to see something decent pulled off by one of the underdogs.

Postby Rollercoaster Rider » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:54 am

^
How about a Vekoma Motorbike coaster themed to Steeplechase?

But I'd rather a complete retheme of Garfield's Nightmare (To Soda?) before a new coaster.
Proud Member of the 300 Coaster Club. Joined June 16, 2012
Proud Member of the 400 Coaster Club. Joined August 17, 2013
Proud Member of the 500 Coaster Club. Joined January 30, 2015
Proud Member of the 600 Coaster Club, Joined April 21, 2017

I poke manatees in the butt.

Postby Jcoaster » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:32 am

I like the idea of a Vekoma terrain looper coming to Kennywood.

It was mentioned before, Vekoma could do it at a lower price as well to launch their new product line in the United States.

Kennywood is an awesome park, a looper is one thing they lack and this could fill that void perfectly.
Lightening Rod/Skyrush/El Toro/I305/Superman: The Ride/ Twisted Timbers/Storm Chaser/ Apollo's Chariot/Phoenix/Boulder Dash

Jizzy jizz jizz jizz jizz

Postby PKI Jizzman » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:44 am

To me, new attractions at Kennywood are just like new attractions at SDC - they're an added bonus. The park is already so unique and so great with what's currently being offered I'd be happy with just about any new 'big' coaster.
Chi-livin. @adultswim @cartoonnetwork | World traveler, concert attendee, salsa connoisseur, comic reader, and theme park nerd.
Snaps: photoboothezizi

Postby FeelTheFORCE » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:04 pm

A.J. wrote:
Geauga Dog wrote:And don't say that Kennywood is not competing with Cedar Point because they are.

Geographically, sure. Demographically? Nah. Cedar Point is a destination resort. Kennywood is a classic amusement park.

People make trips specifically for Cedar Point. People don't make trips specifically for Kennywood, they make trips to Pittsburgh, which Kennywood may or may not be a part of. Kennywood is right in the thick of a whole bunch of Pittsburgh suburbs, and within easy driving distance of the entire region. Kennywood doesn't get anywhere as many guests as Cedar Point does but I would not be surprised if their annual passholders visit more times a year than Cedar Point's do. No offense to anyone that lives there, but when was the last time you heard someone say, "I'm going to take a vacation to Sandusky"?

Kennywood does not, nor will it ever, need something like Steel Vengeance to continue to sustain itself, no matter how much our kind of people cry out in anguish over the fact that their region doesn't have a Rocky Mountain Construction coaster. Kennywood has a niche, and they play it better than almost everyone else in the United States. I've been to some really crummy "classic" style parks, and each time I went to one, I was reminded of just how good Kennywood and Knoebels really are.

Kennywood also has many nationality days, and school/work picnic days during the summer. Tickets are cheap through those means, and school/work gives everyone the day off to go. Most locals go to Kennywood every year regardless of wherever else they go in the summer, simply because it's tradition. Pretty much every one I knew growing up would do their annual Kennywood day, in addition to whatever other summer vacation they had planned. It was never one or the other.

coasterer wrote:Anybody I've ever met who lived in Pittsburgh incessantly talks about how converting Steel Phantom to Phantom's Revenge was the biggest mistake in American history.

I've lived in Pittsburgh my entire life, and have honestly never heard anyone say that. Everyone I know who's ridden the original, hated it.
Total: 235 | Steel: 179 | Wooden: 56

Last Coaster Ridden: Steel Vengeance at Cedar Point on May 13, 2018.

Holy crap you have a HUGE donkey!

Postby kennywood_racer » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:42 pm

After doing some coaster nerd research on POVs, my dream ride for Kennywood would be ether one of the new Vekoma’s, a Mack Rides coaster, or possibly an Infinity Coaster similar to the Smiler.

As for Steel Phantom, I think most have forgotten how rough it was. Revenge is 100x better.
ACE Member since 2006
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/f01fb565c111aea8064bc69997573c70.jpg[/img][/url]

Postby Canobie Coaster » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:16 pm

PKI Jizzman wrote:To me, new attractions at Kennywood are just like new attractions at SDC - they're an added bonus. The park is already so unique and so great with what's currently being offered I'd be happy with just about any new 'big' coaster.

That's exactly how I feel. They have the epic hyper coaster, an awesome wooden coaster collection, a nice launched coaster, and one of the best non-coaster attractions. I'm excited to see what eventually fills this spot. The terrain could lead to some exciting possibilities.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Phoenix, Wildfire, Outlaw Run, Boulder Dash
Top 5 Steel- Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Fury 325, Twisted Colossus, Helix
Most Recent Trip Reports- Tokyo DisneySea & Adventure City[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/f0367ec0b106006e1f2adca3eeac97da.jpg[/img][/url]

Did my donkey title just change???

Postby Legocraft » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:21 am

As a person who would not like another vekoma in Pennsylvania: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_Mouse_(Idlewild) I would prefer one of the newer manufacturers to build the upcoming coaster.
Your center for the wrong opinions...

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby CoasterAuditor » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:13 am

Vekoma is very different from what they used to be known for. I highly doubt one of the new Vekomas will ruin the coaster collection in the state of Pennsylvania.
In my opinion El Toro and Intimidator 305 ride fairly and are free of material roughness.
(That's an auditor joke don't kill me)

Coaster Count: 113

Counts I305 as 32 credits...

Postby A.J. » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:06 pm

Legocraft wrote:As a person who would not like another vekoma in Pennsylvania: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_Mouse_(Idlewild) I would prefer one of the newer manufacturers to build the upcoming coaster.

This might be one of the most short-sighted posts I've ever read. Archiving this one.

Have you seen what Vekoma has built in the last few years, and what they have lined up for the next? I would absolutely love to see Vekoma take the family suspended coaster and do a terrain layout (a la discount Eagle Fortress) in the ravine with Phantom's Revenge and Thunderbolt. That would be great, and if they did it with one of their wacky new looping coasters it would be even better. Vekoma has always been a volume player with their boomerangs, suspended looping coasters, and junior coasters, but they've been stepping up their game in terms of layout design in the past few years. Lech Coaster is on my bucket list.

EDIT: Have you not SEEN this thing? It looks crazy awesome!

Data entry nut for the official TPR coaster poll! https://coasterpoll.com/
Check out my theme park 3D visualization portfolio!
The opinions that I post on this forum do not necessarily represent those of the company I work for.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!