TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kennywood (KW) Discussion Thread

I know the quality of good fries by my preference in taste and texture alone. Aside from I don't care! I'm going to try them for the reputation and nostalgia. If they suck I'll throw them away. Hopefully I get a good batch.

I know I asked about food in the wide Pittsburgh area, but is there anywhere close to the park to grab some decent local/exclusive dinner?

just from an "outsider" perspective.. .the park isn't in a great area of town.

When we were there a couple of years ago, the two evening meals we had while staying on the Waterfront (near the park.. that area was trying to "revitalize" and is a shopping complex). . . were at IHOP, and TGI Fridays.

really.. those were the "best" options we could find. . . tho we liked the food we had inside the park too. . for sitdown meals outside the park, that's where we ended up.

maybe that's changed since my visit.

Agreed from a local perspective also lol. Your best bet is going to the Waterfront. There isn't much in the immediate area.

The whole project just screams Mack Multi-Launch coaster. 24 people per car = 6 cars. I'm guessing 3 launches and the top height of 197 ft. Some people will say Intamin Blitz, but these coasters usually have 3 or 4 cars per train. Mack has from 4 - 6 cars per train.

as to Potato Patch.. Boldy is wrong, they are great -- if you get a fresh batch

Potato Patch are laughably overrated

Two respected contributors on TPR giving me two different bits of advice. Help!! What do I do!

We'll probably do that weird thing of giving them try and forming an opinion based off that. Oh well.

Thanks for the rest of the advice, we are very much looking forward to our trip.

One more thing. It says "Sky Rocket" is closed TFA on the Kennywood website. Is this just a short maintenance thing, or is there something else going on that anyone knows of?

I usually do not go out of my way to eat french fries, but I love the Potato Patch fries with bacon and cheese. I would make a stop at Wafles and Dinges a priority snack stop while in the park.

The whole project just screams Mack Multi-Launch coaster. 24 people per car = 6 cars. I'm guessing 3 launches and the top height of 197 ft. Some people will say Intamin Blitz, but these coasters usually have 3 or 4 cars per train. Mack has from 4 - 6 cars per train.

I really hope you're right, but it's hard not to remember that people try to see what they want to see.

Well, I am FINALLY going to KW this year.

I feel cursed after last year my rental car broke down

Not sure when exactly but it will be late august, and a saturday. Most like Aug 25. I would like a weekday but its when it has to happen.

So, what can I expect in terms of crowds?

Can locals/those who've been a few times provide any game plan? I would like to do every coaster and as many of the rides as I can. I am willing to skip Exterminator I suppose, though I'd prefer not to. Obviously want multiple rides on Revenge.

Shouldn’t be too busy in late August. I’ve been plenty of weekends in late August with 10 minute maximum waits for everything except exterminator. That one is always long when I’m there. Now I’ve also been there in late August with 20-30 min waits. But usually it’s not bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, I am FINALLY going to KW this year.

I feel cursed after last year my rental car broke down

Not sure when exactly but it will be late august, and a saturday. Most like Aug 25. I would like a weekday but its when it has to happen.

So, what can I expect in terms of crowds?

Can locals/those who've been a few times provide any game plan? I would like to do every coaster and as many of the rides as I can. I am willing to skip Exterminator I suppose, though I'd prefer not to. Obviously want multiple rides on Revenge.

Check out what bands are there for Fall Fantasy. Some of the larger schools have busy days at the park.

I'm looking at visiting KW on either Sunday July 22 or Monday July 23. The 23rd is the first of three youth association days. How inundated by groups are these days? Am I better off on Sunday? Thanks in advance friends!

Well, the 23rd is also Catholic Kennywood Day so may be a bit more crowded for a Monday. Needless to say they made a funny video to promote it.

Saturday July 21's is ACE KennyKon with Ert on Thunderbolt in the morning and Phantom ERT after closing.

Sunday the 22nd may be the slowest of the days, but keep an eye on weather.

Not sure if this is known yet but a reliable source told me that parts will start showing up at the park prior to the announcement in August for the new coaster.

Did they mention a possible manufacturer?

Nothing else just that bit of info.

OMG, I never read Youtube comments but these are great. The non-religious guy telling the Catholics that they should be more offended was hilarious. It's great they're not offended, man. When they used to get offended over stuff like this, people were burned at the stake and children walked to the Middle East to conquer fortified cities with pointy sticks. You don't want to make them mad again, guys. You really don't.