TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kennywood (KW) Discussion Thread

^ I think California's Great America has one also (or perhaps it's an Intamin?), but theirs doesn't seem to run quite as fast as Kennywood's. As far as I know, those are the only 2 remaining in the US. There are some traveling versions in Europe too, several of which are in better shape than Kennywood's!

As much as I complain about how Parques Reunidos/Palace Entertainment has done some questionable things during their ownership run, I give them all the credit in the world for maintaining this incredible ride. Can't wait to get out there this summer and give it a spin!

What's the nausea factor on the Bayernkurve? It looks like it has a pretty large diameter. I'm not sure if we'll give this one a try or not.

It wasn't too bad and then suddenly BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH. It's honestly pretty fun though.

What's the nausea factor on the Bayernkurve? It looks like it has a pretty large diameter. I'm not sure if we'll give this one a try or not.

I don't care much for rides that go round and round (I get nauseous on disk'os...but not frisbees...weird), but I do enjoy these rides. Sadly the only one I've been on was the one at Carowinds (Wild Bull) that was removed in '98 for Top Gun/Afterburn (it sat about where the helix is now). I don't know what happened to it other than it went into storage.

I'm surprised the Fire Fighting Flynn ride doesn't have more bubble wrap measures. If they have a ride like that at KW, I'm curious if there will be any additional (mostly unnecessary) safety measures. I could never see a large corporate park putting in a ride like that.

It wasn't too bad and then suddenly BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH. It's honestly pretty fun though.

Hah! That's not very encouraging. If we give it a try we'll make sure to ride it before we go see Beer Man.

Hah! That's not very encouraging. If we give it a try we'll make sure to ride it before we go see Beer Man.

it's a HELL of a lot of fun, but be warned, you might want to wear earplugs if you have them = that horn is LOUD.

check it out ~55 seconds into this clip (and yeah, I hate that it's filmed vertical too).

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

it's a HELL of a lot of fun, but be warned, you might want to wear earplugs if you have them = that horn is LOUD.

check it out ~55 seconds into this clip (and yeah, I hate that it's filmed vertical too).

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

Only 5 seconds of horn? When it "returned" a couple years ago, I swear that horn would be a solid 30 seconds. We went around a bunch of times before it stopped It was obnoxious.

I'm surprised the Fire Fighting Flynn ride doesn't have more bubble wrap measures. If they have a ride like that at KW, I'm curious if there will be any additional (mostly unnecessary) safety measures. I could never see a large corporate park putting in a ride like that.

Probably not. Kennywood isn't a park that's known to implement over the top safety measures.

Probably not. Kennywood isn't a park that's known to implement over the top safety measures.

Does giving people rubberbands their hair to ride Black Widow count?

Also, They have Garfield's Nightmare for the safety measure to prevent them from being a great park

Zach I hate spinny rides but I love Bayern Kurve. Yeah it goes in a circle but feels more like a coaster than a spinny flat. And the program they run on it is insane. You gotta do it.

Does giving people rubberbands their hair to ride Black Widow count?

The only reason for that is when people ride with long hair flying around, it tends to occasionally get stuck in the restraints which obviously results in less than pleased guests when we have to pull their hair out covered in grease and likely shorter than it was before they got on the ride. Thanks for the great design, Zamperla!

That being said, "safety is our #1 priority!" so there is that...

^I've had that happen on Exterminator (and also on some Intamins, like Storm Runner), but I don't think I've experienced it on Black Widow or other Frisbee-type rides. The only ride where I've been given a rubber band was a Mondial Shake, although I've requested one at go-karts before upon reading the rules.

Zach I hate spinny rides but I love Bayern Kurve. Yeah it goes in a circle but feels more like a coaster than a spinny flat. And the program they run on it is insane. You gotta do it.

If it's bolikus approved I might give it a try.

I actually wasn't impressed with Bayern Kurve so maybe I caught it on a bad day. Their Music Express felt wilder to me.

^I've had that happen on Exterminator (and also on some Intamins, like Storm Runner), but I don't think I've experienced it on Black Widow or other Frisbee-type rides. The only ride where I've been given a rubber band was a Mondial Shake, although I've requested one at go-karts before upon reading the rules.

Is the concern on go karts getting hair stuck in something behind the seat?

I can't help but think of that cringe worthy accident on the mini himalaya in my hometown. Weymouth's old Bonkers 19 had a mini himalaya and a girl's hair somehow got stuck in the motor and ripped off part of her scalp. I imagine retrofits have been made to prevent something like that from happening though.

If it's bolikus approved I might give it a try.

I can vouch for this. It is a tremendous ride and I too am not particularly a fan of spinning rides.

• 2 weeks later...

USA Today had a pretty cool article with more pics and details about Kennywood's new Thomas Town addition for 2018! Yes, I know for a good majority of folks on here it might not be the most exciting addition, but as the parents of 3-year-old and almost 6-month-old girls, we are thrilled with this new kids' area!! (especially since my oldest is on the shorter side and still chomping at the bit to hit 36" ) The only one of the new rides to even have a height restriction is the small drop tower, and even that is only 42". Considering the area they're putting this in, I'm very impressed with what all they're fitting there!

Thomas Town comes to Kennywood!

Of the pictures included with the article, they had a really nice overview of what it will look like.....I think it looks great!

Thomas-Town-Kennywood-Birdseye_TPR.jpg.f97cc4b5e707324bb811beb9a7ed3b28.jpg

Thomas Town Overview (Credit: USA Today)

Managed to download some HD versions of the concept art they revealed yesterday:

1837364647_ThomasTownKennywoodBirdseye.thumb.jpg.2281ad89623b256107e0cdd72050919d.jpg

953451255_ThomasTownKennywoodIllustraition.thumb.jpg.a815db4556e31b4802dbbd82b643d625.jpg

I'm really impressed with what they're fitting into here! I do kind of hope they add some stuff to the surroundings of the railway ala Six Flags/Fuji-Q's Thomas parks to make them more like Sodor; the little freight station by the tracks/Cranky is a good sign tho.

Especially hoping they throw in some theming onto the siding inside the station:

204680630_2df8b197e4_o.thumb.jpg.d2c91674adb53642d76fb197a85e0a11.jpg

Maybe something like the Drayton Manor park?

17632072_1907671269469996_5249023718485535110_o.thumb.jpg.d9a8947bfce1918cc084cd444a274aae.jpg

17621888_1907670776136712_2794958815237640172_o.thumb.jpg.529273727a8d633cd04a3e072405e055.jpg

17620186_1907670629470060_630188982005310915_o.thumb.jpg.470f6ff397d7de00e3cd4513e295c1cc.jpg

It certainly is impressive. It really looks like they're fitting a lot of stuff into that area. It will be interesting to see where they move Laffin' Sal and the Floral Clock. The fountain will be missed, for sure. The drop tower is 45 ft tall they say.

• 2 weeks later...

From multiple sources, it's being reported that the park will begin work on a 2019 project start in late spring. I'm guessing they will bring back the Turnpike in place of the old Log Jammer ride.