Shane's Amusement Attic

Update:1998 Fiesta Texas 10 year master plan that never was.
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Banned

Postby RIP Psyclone » Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:45 pm

Wow, comparing the picture in the upper right of this postcard:

with the same spot in this pic:

you can really tell how much they lowered that dip. Of course, I know the camelback above it was later flattened.

This was the update I was waiting for, thanks so much, Shane! Keep it coming!

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby omiyage » Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:06 pm

Thanks for taking your time to scan and post this! Amazing read!!

TPR's Olden Goldie

Postby ebl » Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:20 pm

I have a copy of The Roller Coaster Almanac somewhere around the house. It's indeed a piece of history. Thanks again for continuing to share your stuff, Shane. For me, a Magic Mountain visitor since Year One, it's truly a trip down Memory Lane.

Eric
My Honda will run ringz around your Saturn.

Fire Alarm Boy!

Postby arrowfanman » Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:41 pm

Thanks for posting, Shane! Honestly, the photos were almost depressing for me! The ride could be so much better than it is.

Oh. And something tells me that the trolls may be making a unique return some day. ::D

-Jahan

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby thrillerman1 » Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:25 pm

FANTASTIC Shane. I remember seeing pics of Colossus when it first opened and thinking how massively HUGE it was at the time. I just could not believe it. Hopefully Jay can help return it to its former glory.

Please Nuderstand This Mozart67. It's Something!

Postby Mozart67 » Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:52 pm

Bravo, Shane! Your theme-park and coaster retrospectives keep getting better and better! I remember riding Colossus in 77 vividly; not because I was almost pants-wettingly scared (which I was...I was 9, after all) but because it was so huge. I think the total whiteness of it made it look even larger than it might have been. It's funny, though. I remember the Revolution being more violent on the body than Colossus. Since I haven't ridden it since, would I still enojy the ride with all its modifications or would I be let down?
HeadOn! Apply Directly to when you just don''t feel fresh. Side effects may include drowsiness, explosive belching, cosplay, and death. Use only when directed and when you have an outbreak, have a Coke and a smile!

TPR's Olden Goldie

Postby ebl » Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:02 am

^ Colossus in '77? You rode it before it was done? How? :P

OK, I'm giving you a hard time...surely you meant "1978." And it was indeed quite a ride in its first season. Too bad it had to be reprofiled.

Eric
My Honda will run ringz around your Saturn.

Guaranteed Fresh or Your Money Back!

Postby dandaman » Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:28 am

arrowfanman wrote:And something tells me that the trolls may be making a unique return some day. ::D

Kinda hard to be mascots of a parking lot, isn't it? :P

Beer Man

Postby mcjaco » Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:04 am

WHo knew that Jack Ryan started writing about roller coasters, before saving the world from rogue Soviet submarine captains, nuclear terrorists in the middle east, drug lords in Central America, and becoming President! :lolr:

These are awesome Shane, keep them coming!

CHOO CHOO Ride Op

Postby lapseofreason » Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:11 am

arrowfanman wrote:Thanks for posting, Shane! Honestly, the photos were almost depressing for me! The ride could be so much better than it is.

What bothered me was the press releases, describing how much stuff they had going on in the park back then, and how much effort they put into making each area special (ie Spillikin Corners). It bothers me to know that what was once such a unique area of the park is mostly shuttered buildings. The park would be so much better now, if along with trying to get the family thing back together, that they focused on getting this kind of stuff back.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own." -Adam Savage (Mythbusters)
2008 Cedar Point Ride Op (May-September)
COASTER COUNT: 53 (42 Steel, 11 Wooden)
#53: Phantom's Revenge, Kennywood, West Mifflin, PA

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!