Shane's Amusement Attic

Update:1998 Fiesta Texas 10 year master plan that never was.
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Donkeys are my way of life!

Re: Shane's Amusement Attic

Postby The49er » Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:54 pm

DarienLaker wrote:What was that ride that looks like the Superman ride at Magic Mountain?

That was Freefall, a 1st-gen Intamin drop tower.

Wow! Can't believe there are photos of the Mountain Express!
Last Park: SFMM / Last Credit: Superman Escape from Krypton / Credit Count: 66
Top 5 Wood: SCBB Giant Dipper, Gold Striker, GhostRider pre-refurb, CGA Grizzly, Colossus
Top 5 Steel: Twisted Colossus, X2, Joker, Tatsu, Alpengeist

Next Park: ?
Next Credit: ?

My favorite roller coaster is dumb.

Postby DarienLaker » Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:41 pm

Was FreeFall replaced with the Superman ride?
Nobody knows a lot about Darien Lake like me! ;)

Does Jeff Johnson count this donkey as a credit?

Postby Perilous Chris » Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:49 pm

^ No, Freefall was in a different section of the park. It was near Tidal Wave and the Riddler's Revenge.

Thanks again for all your pictures Shane. I am really enjoying them.

I wish I would have saved some of the brochures from when I was younger. I remember one SFMM brochure promoting Condor.

Did the donkey fairy give me this title?

Postby CoasterComet » Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:51 pm

Thanks Shane! That picture of Revolution on the 4th hill, alone, could hold me forever. Well,.... not as much as a ride on it back then, but you know. Great pictures :lmao:

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby The49er » Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:50 pm

DarienLaker wrote:Was FreeFall replaced with the Superman ride?

A rock-climbing wall replaced Freefall. A FREAKING ROCK WALL.

Last Park: SFMM / Last Credit: Superman Escape from Krypton / Credit Count: 66
Top 5 Wood: SCBB Giant Dipper, Gold Striker, GhostRider pre-refurb, CGA Grizzly, Colossus
Top 5 Steel: Twisted Colossus, X2, Joker, Tatsu, Alpengeist

Next Park: ?
Next Credit: ?

"Can I get clamshells out of this ATM?"

Postby montezooma » Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:42 pm

Yes, that was the Magic Mountain I grew up with too. Loved it then, like it now. I miss the Mountain Express and Magic Pagoda.

Anyone remember this ride? I'd give you a TPR bag of crap if you guess right but I don't have one, so you will just get a "great job" from Shane's Amusement Attic if you guess right.
rw1.jpg
rw2.jpg
rw4.jpg
rw5.jpg
rw6.jpg
rw7.jpg
Check out Season 5 of
Shane's Amusement Attic
NOW PLAYING
New Season, New Posts, New Logo...Old Stuff!

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:50 pm

^ I'm not sure exactly what it is, but It kind of *looks* like Raging Wolf Bobs!
Last edited by robbalvey on Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:52 pm.

Full Fledged Donkey Enthusiast!

Postby Ejectorbater » Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:36 pm

I just want to say that I spent and hour and a half reading through this thread today! What a great read! It's been done numerous times throughout, but I have to say I'm impressed by the material you have provided all of us Shane. If I had to rate TPR's threads, this would be #1 in my book. (Big Mike, I love yours too!)

Robb must be so proud to display your work on his site. Keep it up Shane!

"Can I get clamshells out of this ATM?"

Postby montezooma » Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:49 pm

Ejectorbater wrote:I just want to say that I spent and hour and a half reading through this thread today! What a great read! It's been done numerous times throughout, but I have to say I'm impressed by the material you have provided all of us Shane. If I had to rate TPR's threads, this would be #1 in my book. (Big Mike, I love yours too!)

Robb must be so proud to display your work on his site. Keep it up Shane!

^ That is very nice of you to say, and I truly appreciate everyone's comments about this thread. I had no idea what this thread would turn into after I posted the first 1970 ads for the California parks, but here it is, 5 years later and over 788,000 views.

I have loved going through everything I have saved over the years and rediscovering the parks I fell in love with as a kid. They have changed over the years that's for sure, the rides have gotten better but the charm has been compromised by corporate America.

I am thrilled to share with you all the history of these great parks so keep the comments coming of our memories, stories and even pictures.

PS- Robb, you are correct, that is the Raging Wolf Bobs please give yourself a TPR bag of crap. I should have known you would know it right off since you are a CNBC analyst.
Check out Season 5 of
Shane's Amusement Attic
NOW PLAYING
New Season, New Posts, New Logo...Old Stuff!

Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Postby KCForce » Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:36 pm

robbalvey wrote:^ I'm not sure exactly what it is, but It kind of *looks* like Raging Wolf Bobs!

Robb is correct. That is the Raging Wolf Bobs, at Geauga Lake, before they painted it white. I forget when the finally did paint it, but it was after it was open a season (or two?).

Sadly, I never got to ride that one, I only went once back in 1998 for their Halloween event, and they had some ride through hay ride near the area so it was closed. But I did ride the Big Dipper (wow, what great ejector air time!), Double Loop and Mind Eraser. But I got the Dipper credit, which was more important.

I first saw pictures of it in Gary Kyriazi book, "The Great American Amusement Park", a book I'm sure Shane has read (or owns!). For the late 70's and many years it was the holy scripture for amusement park geeks before the internet. I learned about many parks I had never heard of before through that book, and have now visited almost all of them!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!