TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Moreys Piers Discussion Thread

Won't miss it, but I'm glad I've ridden a couple of these (and, who knows, maybe one or three in the future someday). I agree that it's not the only coaster there I wouldn't mind losing. I enjoyed Greats Nor'Easter and White on my visits, but Morey's is just as much about the atmosphere, flat rides and dark attractions for me!

My first thought was that they might be more likely to put a flat ride in that space, but it sounds like they're keen on paying tribute to it with a coaster.

^ Yeah, I agree with you. Nor'Easter and Great White are the only legitimately good coasters at Moreys. Flitzer was more of a "better than expected" coaster. It was fun, but it benefitted from looking like a piece of crap and failing to be as bad as I thought it would be.

I feel partially responsible for this wrong opinion since I had to cut myself off (as I was like 15-20 drinks in) and leave the bar before we rode Flitzer. Had we ensured that you were sufficiently intoxicated first then you would have appreciated it’s brilliance.

^ Yeah, I agree with you. Nor'Easter and Great White are the only legitimately good coasters at Moreys. Flitzer was more of a "better than expected" coaster. It was fun, but it benefitted from looking like a piece of crap and failing to be as bad as I thought it would be.

I feel partially responsible for this wrong opinion since I had to cut myself off (as I was like 15-20 drinks in) and leave the bar before we rode Flitzer. Had we ensured that you were sufficiently intoxicated first then you would have appreciated it’s brilliance.

No. Doubt.

I think the only one of those types of coasters (Flitzers) that I remember riding, was Racing in Bakken Park, in Denmark.

It is still in operation there too, from what is written in RCDB.com

Fun little coaster, if going around, straight, around, straight, around, around was your kind of fun coaster.

Playland might have had one too, a long time ago.

Before I got back into riding rides and visiting parks.

Sorry to read that Morey's is losing this one. But Larry's right.

It was old. But not that "classic" enough. Space was needed for something new.

R.I.P. Flitzer.

1930539677_Racing-Bakken(KlampenborgSjllandDenmark).png.0165d478fde2b0bd80a309a86db20919.png

How it looked when we rode it, in the TPR 2008 Scandi Tour. Bakken Park, Denmark.

1853506875_Racing-Bakken(KlampenborgSjllandDenmark)02.png.d8daa424efd4cb7f18a10f5a876fd8d9.png

What it looked like, when we rode it in the 2014 Tour. Thanks to Rik Engelen for the photos.

I'm sorry I know I sound like a huge douchebag and I'd never thought I'd be this butthurt about any coaster removal, let alone a tiny Zierer from 1983 on the Wildwood boardwalk, but this one hurts. Not only have I been riding that little thing since it was installed but I still ride it regularly and its still good. My nephew loves it, it always has a line, families love it, kids love it, adults love it. I still love it! Its a Moreys classic!

Its especially dumb because if its for space, they should just get rid of Rollies or Doo Wooper since Flitzer is miles better than either of them. If its due to maintenance, I get it, but it still sucks. I can't believe we'll have those other two pieces of junk but no Flitzer anymore.

(photo of my sister and I riding it in August 1983)

It is because of maintenance. Here's a letter that the Morey family posted on their website:

https://www.moreyspiers.com/flitzerletter

TLDR: They know how it's a signature ride, and they REALLY don't want to remove it. However, the ride is almost 50 years old (it was really built in 1969, they bought it used in 1983), Zierer no longer provides replacement parts for Flitzers, recent inspections showed that the structural fatigue is bad enough that they simply can't continue trying to maintain the ride safely, and New Jersey's laws make it infeasible to rebuild the ride.

So I stopped by the "Farewell Flitzer" event today. They had a band, were giving out free bottled water/pretzels/snacks, and of course the ride...which had a line that was (by my estimation) an hour and a half long. Sorry, but no thanks. Anyway, here are some pictures.

DSC_0549.thumb.JPG.0f74b8a4c7b6e15a1269aecabbc3ec7b.JPG

DSC_0550.thumb.JPG.18c793cdcc91d2454d1315f79467e309.JPG

DSC_0552.thumb.JPG.a5bfa0275c5c243bc0600c12a4f0ac47.JPG

DSC_0553.thumb.JPG.39c10b2f5e0ac829ff4e1f176edf5481.JPG

DSC_0554.thumb.JPG.9387e8fe3346eaabe4bdd77b85c867ae.JPG

DSC_0556.thumb.JPG.94e31e6d25e9bdcb81387e0471a29040.JPG

DSC_0557.thumb.JPG.000f9ffdeafdf3b5110c5bfe65af0334.JPG

DSC_0551.thumb.JPG.342dadb3d84aaffa25e3403afc151dd9.JPG

Just now seeing this news, definitely saddened. I wish some manufacturer would make a Kiddie Coaster series in the vein of the Flitzer. The individual cars are much more conducive to smaller hills and drops than the long-ass train you find on all of them. And it had a lengthier ride-experience without being too tall for the young ones.

In my make-believe amusement park that I run in my head, we've already contracted Wiegen or Zeirer to help us build a modern version of one of these, and the height requirement is 36 inches.

It was a crazy weekend for us, but we were actually driving down to the Rehoboth and I was *this* close to going to the Flitzer event and taking the ferry over. Once I saw pictures of the line I balked at the idea out of fear that we would miss the boat but I'm jealous of everyone who was there.

We loved that stupid f*cking ride.

Just now seeing this news, definitely saddened. I wish some manufacturer would make a Kiddie Coaster series in the vein of the Flitzer. The individual cars are much more conducive to smaller hills and drops than the long-ass train you find on all of them. And it had a lengthier ride-experience without being too tall for the young ones.

In my make-believe amusement park that I run in my head, we've already contracted Wiegen or Zeirer to help us build a modern version of one of these, and the height requirement is 36 inches.

https://rcdb.com/8576.htm

Meh, close enough.

• 3 weeks later...

A few weeks late on this but...

Morey's Piers ushers in solar power

wwsolar.jpg.c00f622d8604a696e7fc7d491e596c63.jpg

The Wildwoods, NJ – October 3, 2018 - Morey’s Piers today flipped the switch to power 36,300 square feet of maintenance buildings solely through 900-plus recently installed solar panels. The installation of solar power signifies the Morey organization’s continued commitment to improve sustainability and conservation on its three piers.

The 901 P17 345-watt panels are installed on the four maintenance buildings located on Hunts Pier at 2710 Boardwalk.

According to Will Morey, second-generation owner, “The system will produce more than 410,000 kilowatts per year, realizing more than $53,000 in energy savings annually. Over a 30-year period, this investment in solar power will reduce CO2 emissions into the atmosphere by 337 tons, the environmental equivalent of taking 12.4 million miles off the road or planting 126,000 trees.”

“We take our stewardship of this mile of pristine beach we enjoy so much very seriously, and the six-figure investment in this solar panel project was the right thing to do this year, no doubt,” said Jack Morey, second-generation owner.

Geoscape Solar designed the solar project and installed the panels. “Morey’s Piers has always been a New Jersey name synonymous with family,” said Lee Watson, chief operating officer and partner at Geoscape. “We were thrilled that Morey’s chose Geoscape Solar to partner with to achieve their long term financial and environmental goals. “

With a combined weight of 21 tons, the panels have been fitted onto the roofs of four maintenance buildings. Used year-round by a staff of 57 in season, the buildings house workshops for repairs, tests, painting, carpentry, and updates of all components of the rides and facilities throughout the three piers.

Jack Morey noted that the solar project complements the company’s environmental conservation and sustainability programs that include use of biodegradable products system-wide, recyclable plastics and reduced Styrofoam usage, along with energy-efficient lighting throughout, and a proactive recycling system with 30.82 tons of material recycled in 2017. Morey’s Piers is in the planning stages of undertaking additional efficiency usage studies to identify other areas to save both energy and waste.

So, from the park's statement on why Flitzer was closing, it was already pretty obvious that it was headed to the scrap yard, but in case any of you had your doubts, some footage surfaced on the interweb today of Flitzer being crushed like a soda can. (Demo footage starts at 0:53.) There's not much action in the video itself, but you can see the remains of the demo so far.

The missus and I watched that last night (I thought to post it for Larry for his enjoyment so thanks) and we joked they just bulldozed it right off the pier.

Also, that dude is so Jersey it hurts.