TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Moreys Piers Discussion Thread

Unexpectedly, looks like I'll be down Saturday night and I'm gonna try to get up to the boards for some pizza and riding. I'll make sure to pay attention to if they are stapling on TGW.

Yeah I don't recall us having that issue the weekend I met up with Bill and Andrew in early August. We only rode twice but I don't recall getting stapled that trip. It's definitely not a usual thing. In fact if I recall on our midnight ride that day I wasn't stapled at all and was getting nice amounts of airtime, as we were absolutely flying on that lap.

No, they didn't staple on that ride. It was an amazing ride, just flying with lots of airtime.

Took 2 back to back rides on Great NorEaster last night and man! The new track is great! Such an improvement over the old track and any other SLC at that. It's legitimately smooth besides one jerk after the inline twists. And the new magnetic brakes are very smooth and make for a comfortable finish. Very surprised but pleased with the results.

Great White also gave me a great ride last night; easily the best I've gotten on it in years. Very smooth and fast.

Having a great night up on the piers. Saturday night solo session. In last hour I've done Screaming Swing 4X, one lap each on Great White (no stapling... like at all) and Kong, waiting for my 4th spin on IT. Heading back to Great White after this for a midnight ride to close out the evening.

IMAG9276.thumb.jpg.f9b8f596ba107dd50f6366f4857d3817.jpg

IMAG9316.thumb.jpg.b0e04fea294850b07e4e72558af8575d.jpg

To follow up from Saturday night, I wound up with this score card (in less than 2 hours):

Screaming Swing 5x

IT 4x

Great White 2x

KONG 1x

I was only down for a 24 hour trip this weekend and actually wound up getting a ton of riding in. Saturday night the piers were mostly deserted though the boardwalk itself stayed fairly busy til pretty late. I got into town around 9pm and walked right up for dinner @ Macks, and then hit the rides. Screaming Swing as always was a walkon. Gotta love unlimited rides w/ my season pass. Walked around 3 times, then the ops just let me swipe my wristband the 4th time. On KONG while waiting I noticed the guy running it was staring at his phone the whole cycle before mine so I figured I'd be good for a bit of snapping as it was nice and windy and he couldn't have cared less about the ride, but as hard as I tried it wasn't happening. Boo.

IT was a steady one cycle wait, but I just walked back around 4 times in a row. Gave me a minute to recoup after the insanity each time, as I was getting tremendous rides on it. Great White had station waits - my first lap when I arrived (on the blue train) I waited 10 minutes for, then later I was on the second-to-last train, a little after midnight, which was a one train wait (red train, they has transferred the blue off). Both of my laps were more than satisfying, its running so well. Hit Screaming Swing once more before they shut it down for the night. After that I stopped for a Blizzard on my way back to my folks, getting home at quarter til 1.

Took my (4 yr old) nephew out riding Sunday afternoon, just him and I. My plan was to get him on absolutely none of the really small kiddie rides, as he's done them all, instead trying to get him into some bigger stuff he's just recently tall enough for. We hit Mariners first since he already loves their Chance swinging ship Riptide, and just like last time commented after that it made his "wiener feel weird". Gotta love a 4 yr olds one liners. I got him on the Waltzer (tilt a whirl) since its way less intense than a traditional Tilt-A-Whirl and he seemed to really like it. Sometimes its hard to gauge if he actually likes/dislikes stuff since he can seem just so overwhelmed/stimulated when we get off the rides.

We then headed over to Surfside. He's done Flitzer before and loves it, so we did that first, and then he wanted to ride the oval shaped kiddie train. I don't fit so I just stood off an encouraged him to put his hands up, since he won't do it on the coasters yet. Even though he seemed a bit afraid of the size of it, I then convinced him to try Doo Wopper, his first wild mouse. His biggest (tallest) coaster yet and he HATED it. Complained the whole way, shrieked at every hairpin turn, and came very close to a mini melt down when we stacked on the brake run.

He's done KONG before and really enjoyed it. We did that and he loved it again. I let him control the fin of course so no snapping but halfway through he was inspired to start singing a song about flying through the air that immediately reminded me of TPR's own "We Are On A Log Flume". So cute. On the way off the pier he spotted Kanga-Bounce, which I had not ridden before. He met the height requirement and on we went. We both loved it! Lots of crazy airtime, nice long cycle. I will totally ride that thing again.

After, he wanted to play games so with a pocket full of quarters I took him into Gateway 26, with their plethora of $.25 crane games. He picked out a few things he wanted and I worked on a few machines til I won him a few things. We walked all the way back from 26th Street to my folks (almost 2 miles) and the kid is trooper. Half of that time I carried him. He whined a while bunch about cotton candy so I eventually broke down and stopped to buy him some, right before dinner, knowing my sister would kill me, but I wanted those "cool uncle" points too much. Its really hard to say no to a 4 year old. I love the kid to death, but I'm reminded of how happy I am to have decided not to have children, don't know how you people do it all the time. lol

Sundays tally:

Riptide

Waltzer

Flitzer

Doo-Wopper

KangaBounce

KONG

No photos from Sunday but a few more from Saturday night.

Macks.thumb.jpg.6b72b215753e0af60a2dbb848b8360ec.jpg

IMAG9291.thumb.jpg.04d07dd8dc6d77631478b8356288a87f.jpg

IMAG9330_1.thumb.jpg.e62799c97f9485c031c16441f22ab90d.jpg

IMAG9333_1.thumb.jpg.70cf20c2a456c2ad3e429b85ef7e0193.jpg

IMAG9340_1.thumb.jpg.9cb3038dc8e6d45f35b050b2034fd061.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Just a heads up to anyone planning a visit over the final weekends of the season in Wildwood, a few things:

~ Raging Waters (behind the Giant Wheel on Mariners) is OPEN this weekend. Hours are 10:00 am - 5:00 pm. Ocean Oasis (under/behind The Great Nor'easter) is CLOSED for the season.

~ Surfside Pier will be closing for the season after NEXT weekend (Sept 16th/17th). Get your last rides of the year on IT, Zoom Phloom, Flitzer, Atmosfear, etc while you still can!

~ Adventure Pier will be closing for the season after the following weekend (Sept 23rd/24th) so last chances to get your Great White, Sling Shot, Screaming Swing, etc!

Also don't forget that their excellent Oktoberfest event will be taking place on Mariners Pier again starting Sept 23rd, and running the following two weekends, ending on October 8th.

https://www.moreyspiers.com/events/event/oktoberfest

Join us this Oktoberfest as Das Oktopas hits Moreys Piers September 22-24, September 29-October 1, and October 6-8. The Legend of Oktober the Oktopus. Many moons ago, he was ripped from rocks on the distant shores of Germany, caught by a current, and pulled deep into the darkest oceans. His eight legs sprawling this way and that, he finally ran aground, washing up on Mariner’s Pier — lederhosen and all. Folks of the Wildwoods, no strangers to the unusual, welcomed Oktober das Oktopas with open arms. He introduced them to all the joys of the Oktoberfest, that ancient German tradition of merriment, roller coasters, tilt-a-whirls, pretzels and bratswurt. Mmmmm….sausage. Each year Morey’s Oktoberfest grew bigger and better. With live music, activities for the little squirts, rides, and of course, Bier on the Pier. It wasn’t long until everyone was wilkommen — kicking back and reclining mit der drinken in der bier garten. Auf Wiedersehen!

Jumbo’s restaurant will feature a special themed selection of Bavarian pretzels, bratwurst, German potato salad, schnitzel and more. On tap, guests will find a wide selection of beers and tasting flights to be enjoyed at an outdoor “biergarten” located behind Jumbo’s with live entertainment from The Oompah-Delics.

Oktob.JPG.e18b00a64db50d6f8ea2ff7645a1f398.JPG

Oktob2.jpg.2b8e07f019284e3aca12869e062cff32.jpg

Oktob3.jpg.1a88b2e2d2b4c44fe5c4125011050b32.jpg

Oktob4.jpg.e4b4de60ab4d6125c60d0682c9e5ae79.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

So I checked out Moreys 2nd annual Oktoberfest over the weekend while visiting my folks place and hanging with my sister/nephew/bro-in-law for my sisters birthday. I didn't take many photos but thought I'd post a few here with a brief report. This was my final trip to Moreys this year as I'm busy the next two and final weekends they'll be open with this event. It was also the final weekend of Adventure Pier so I wanted to get my final rides on The Great White and Screaming Swing (normally an upcharge, I get free rides w/ my season pass).

01.thumb.jpg.cac1ec1a826ca550d370bda8bf9af41b.jpg

Over the Ben Franklin into Jersey I go.

I had some running around after work on Friday so I couldn't hitch a ride w/ my sister & bro-in-law, therefore I stayed in Philly and got up at the asscrack of dawn Saturday morning to catch the 3.5 hour local NJ Transit bus that basically hits every single little sh*t town in southern New Jersey as it makes its way to the shore points. Luckily I slept through most of it and woke up just as we arrived in Wildwood to this view.

02.thumb.jpg.1ac9f4e089ab6e82d1edc26a04546a57.jpg

If you look closely you can see the Giant Wheel and the three "Big" coasters peaking out.

By the time I had got onto the island my whole family had gone to the beach, so I stopped at the house to drop off my stuff and have a few beers out on the back porch while enjoying the salt air before I decided I needed lunch, which meant Macks Pizza of course. I figured I could grab a wristband and maybe hit a few rides while I was at it. I actually biked up to the boardwalk since I knew the semi-annual Classic Car show was taking place and would make walking around up there next-to-impossible (normally you're only a allowed to have bikes on the boardwalk before 11am, but off season they don't give a sh*t).

03.thumb.jpg.58b2b2951f3d6a2817e698bd9cfd4c8d.jpg

I locked it up @ Mariners Pier and headed in to the ongoing Oktoberfestivities to hit the bathroom and get my wristband sorted. Upon exiting Guest Relations I decided to have a spin on the piers excellent Wave Swinger, because why not?

04.thumb.jpg.19c8caac6d85153207094a2a7f1b17e2.jpg

Heading off the pier I found the boardwalk to be extremely crowded (not to mention it was HOT and humid) so I did my best beeline through the mobs of classic car enthusiasts down to Adventure Pier. I did not take any photos of the cars but you can bet they are pretty much the same dudes with the same cars from the report I posted last spring.

1253361616_05G.thumb.gif.b89d42ac259e13ff24ff2cec29aeb36b.gif

Its Gif time!

06.thumb.jpeg.d1bf941f5211feac87519e2afcd87cca.jpeg

I headed right back to The Great White and was welcomed by one train operations (luckily it was the blue train - blue train best train) and a deserted station. I sauntered back to the second-to-last row and hopped right on the next train. As we only had a few people in the first few rows and me all by lonesome in the rear, it was a bit of a sluggish ride but still fun as always, if anything nice to get a breeze up there and cool down a bit.

07.thumb.jpg.4e6121bb1863b9ca16608b6f33c1470d.jpg

I walked around for lap 2 and then hit up the Screaming Swing for two cycles. The ops were kind enough to let me scan my wristband the second time without having to walk downstairs, around, and back up. Also of note was, for whatever reason, the cycle was definitely a bit longer than usual. I'm not complaining, I can never get enough of these rides.

From here I worked my way back through the crowds and down to Macks to grab a quick slice. They were very busy and I had to wait a few minutes, but it was worth it as always. I didn't take any pictures of the pizza excursion so here's a fun little video with an especially funky soundtrack to make you crave some pizza.

I headed back to the house now that my fam had made it back from the beach and Mom was cooking up a big birthday dinner. After, we all showered and freshened up to head out as a group back to the boards. Upon arrival we immediately noticed the crowds from the car show had dissipated and the boardwalk itself was actually kinda dead. We worked our way down to Mariners Pier so the little guy could hit some rides (since there are zero kid rides on Adventure Pier) and we could get some beers and Oktoberfest-inspired food.

09.thumb.jpg.2dff9df17df7afe20a82e00368dab7a4.jpg

08.thumb.jpg.401321584c8fd3887960352737af37b7.jpg

10.thumb.jpg.6d2d80efadb90d5c0ad59822d955685e.jpg

Last year was the first time Moreys held this event. If it seems weird that a seaside park is doing an Oktoberfest event that's because it is. Fortunately Moreys has put a little thought into this and came up with a genius way to tie in the theme of the event to the location:

The Legend of Oktober the Oktopus. Many moons ago, he was ripped from rocks on the distant shores of Germany, caught by a current, and pulled deep into the darkest oceans. His eight legs sprawling this way and that, he finally ran aground, washing up on Mariner’s Pier — lederhosen and all. Folks of the Wildwoods, no strangers to the unusual, welcomed Oktober das Oktopas with open arms. He introduced them to all the joys of the Oktoberfest, that ancient German tradition of merriment, roller coasters, tilt-a-whirls, pretzels and bratwurst. Mmmmm….sausage. Each year Morey’s Oktoberfest grew bigger and better. With live music, activities for the little squirts, rides, and of course, Bier on the Pier. It wasn’t long until everyone was wilkommen — kicking back and reclining mit der drinken in der bier garten. Auf Wiedersehen!

1157689853_11G.thumb.gif.10b37b2356f020e7281e902e309154f0.gif

12.thumb.jpg.7fb20146221698f144b6993ea0f68359.jpg

We stopped in the "beer garden" in the back of Jumbos Restaurant @ the front of Mariners Pier. This is one of two beer gardens they have set up, the other directly beneath Sea Serpents spikes, that featuring a full stage with live music. However, at Jumbos they have roaming live entertainment provided by "The Oompah-Delics". These guys were wandering all around the front of the pier, occasionally hopping up on this small stage to perform a few songs.

13.thumb.jpg.3e17a23b99817b2d0f30a2c3637c3f4c.jpg

14.thumb.jpg.07a610c888c3e58c6ea27bc018e5da63.jpg

Prost!

Jumbos menu is pretty much the same as always - burgers, pizza, etc (which is usually not too bad, I recommend eating here if you're in the area on a normal day and looking for sustenance) but they do have an extended menu for the event, not too different from last year.

16.thumb.jpg.5505b4e7949a14894acd902253c614ef.jpg

17.thumb.jpg.511d6312cb6b49b2e9a888f88069781b.jpg

This giant pretzel was insanely tasty!

15.thumb.jpg.0831b8947325d8016f89ffa5635158b0.jpg

After we all tried a few flights of suds the kiddo was itching to get some riding in (not gonna lie so was I) so we hung around the front of the pier, letting him hop from ride to ride, me joining him on the "Kite Flyer" for my first ever ride, which was much more fun that I expected. We also got him on the swinging ship "Riptide" which he loves.

20.thumb.jpeg.aa9037526b0fd655bd83c18788560487.jpeg

The little guy enjoying himself.

19.thumb.jpg.9cc4ee6c9e91a0f757d7c2b0b65cbd40.jpg

They had a few beer stands set up around the pier where you could grab a large stein or just a small pint of beer and they allowed you to carry it around the pier - awesome!

18.thumb.jpg.bc8cff53e022d44807c242ef08d93808.jpg

As it was getting late and past his bedtime, we headed off the pier and back to the house when I decided to lose them and head down to Adventure to marathon the sh*t out of The Great White and Screaming Swing. I bounced from ride to ride, doing 3 laps on TGW and 6 cycles on the swing. Good times. TGW was running much better than earlier in the afternoon, providing some excellent laps to close out the season.

21.thumb.jpg.27a4a83aa01e94de37ff0fec573a8617.jpg

Tired, and still pretty hot from the lingering evening humidity, I headed off the pier stopping at Kohr Bros where I snagged a pumpkin custard w/ chocolate jimmies to celebrate the start of fall, as my final weekends at Moreys always feel like the end of summer to me. As I slowly walked along the mostly deserted boardwalk enjoying my treat, off in Wildwood Crest a random fireworks show started. Awesome!

22.thumb.jpg.8d4181f3f80a889a6f5bae3bab822b49.jpg

And with that, the summer seashore season has ended.

Ride tally

Waveswinger 1x

The Great White 5x

Kite Flyer 1x

Riptide 1x

Screaming Swing 9x

FYI - the event runs the next two weekends, wristbands are discounted, and only Mariners is open. I highly recommend checking it out!

Yeah its a bummer its not open. I love having TGW and Screamin Swing open but would trade it for the Surfside rides in a heartbeat. The boardwalk itself was dead, though Mariners seemed very busy (much more than last year) so it seems like the event is a success. One would hope they'd expand it next year to include Surfside and have the bier gardens at Joe's and maybe the back of the pier near Nor'easter, and just close Adventure Pier right after Labor Day or whatever.

• 2 weeks later...

Not directly related to Moreys but this is certainly interesting for Wildwood.

Long-awaited plans for Seaport Pier revealed

NORTH WILDWOOD ─ Local, regional, and national draw compose the scope of BG Capital's plan for the city's Seaport Pier. Located on the Boardwalk at 22nd Avenue, Seaport Pier has been vacant, a phantom shape of wood and concrete amid Boardwalk spectacles; however, if the plan passes the city Planning Board, life will resurrect at Seaport, offering resort-style amenities.

"Overall concept for development is to create a regional and tourist entertainment venue," explained project manager Joseph Byrne. Byrne, of Philadelphia-based JB Richards Construction LLC, emphasized the unique value the venue will bring to North Wildwood.

With a swim club, restaurant, upscale coffee bar, and bike parking, Seaport Pier is designed to "elongate" the tourist season.

"We could be open 24/7, 365," Byrne added. Insulation, required by law and state standards, will meet requirements as well as actual construction.

According to Byrne, the team creating the destination is comprised of an interior designer and architect, Peter Porretta from Lighthouse Architecture, committed to the project. Byrne stressed the fact of offering activities different from, and not competing with, retail vendors and other amusement piers along the boards.

"We see the demand for a public pool," said Byrne. According to Byrne, nothing like that public concept exists along the Jersey Shore.

Who is the target audience of the swim club? "Grabbing" families and cyclists on their way to the beach will be the pier's primary focus.

Offering breakfast/brunch, boxed lunches to go, and specialty coffee drinks such as iced-coffees and lattés, will present families an alternative to another day on the sand.

As the sun sets over North Wildwood, the restaurant venue will provide dinner and a place for concert goers. Alcohol will be available.

In response to questions posed by Councilwoman Margaret "Peggy" Bishop, Byrne responded, "Unfortunately, we can't get the big names (performers) without it (alcohol)."

Targeting the 21-39 age demographic for concerts is a goal. BG Capital is trying to obtain the former Woody's liquor license while a state Alcoholic Beverage Control investigation is performed.

A separate menu will be provided poolside served by Green Eggs Café, a trendy restaurant with several locations in Philadelphia and Boston.

According to Mayor Patrick Rosenello, Green Eggs Café made contact with North Wildwood palates at Keenan's Irish Pub. Rosenello described the reviews as "unbelievable" and the food and presentation as "white-gloved."

"It's like a resort hotel without a hotel," said Rosenello.

Councilman Edwin Koehler commented that the city is "interested" and "the fish is on the line." However, the council will need time to digest the plan and await Planning Board's approval.

When asked concerning the timeline, Byrne hopes to begin construction in early 2018 and open in May 2018, based upon Planning Board's approval.

A public hearing will be announced when BG Capital is to appear and make a formal presentation to the Planning Board.

Rosenello concurred, adding that neighbors will be informed of the meeting

seaport.thumb.jpg.396cb805911d83e3f518f88f76b4841c.jpg

seaport1.thumb.jpg.d75e2b117a6861bd51247784a534f9ef.jpg

seaport2.thumb.jpg.a456794280743a4bc165c9e891b815b6.jpg

For those not familiar with the location, I've included a map. For years in the 90s this pier had a "mall" of sorts called Seaport Village. They had a pet store, a couple t-shirt shops, live bands in the back for a time, and for a year or two a few small flats, and I swear even a little kiddie coaster at one point. Since they tore it down it has been sitting vacant for years. Here's a little info about the history of the pier.

MAP.jpg.02728e69da975c31cf126a65031c0e1d.jpg

That's cool. My hotel was near there, so i walked past that one and it seemed to be abandoned. Glad to see the town maybe doing something about it. Wildwood had a vibe about it of a place that works really hard to keep people coming back. I totally understand living in a place that depends on tourism for its survival. Good for them for doing what (hopefully) will get the next generation hooked and coming back for years to come.

"It's like a resort hotel without a hotel," said Rosenello.

15102329.jpg

Regarding their statement that there's nothing like a public pool concept on the Jersey Shore I'm tempted to contend that there is and it's called the f*cking ocean but I know a lot of people prefer a pool for some reason.

This doesn't really appeal to me on most days, but it would be an awesome place to see a concert I guess and it's great that they'll be serving alcohol so with the right band playing I could see making my way over.

LOL I am one of those people who would prefer a pool over going in the ocean (lol shut up - the ocean is gross), but I would not go in a pool on a boardwalk a couple hundred feet away from the ocean. A waterpark? Hell yeah, but my interest was piqued with the idea more booze on the boardwalk and live music is always good. I'm most interested in the quote about it being open all year round since the island is a ghosttown in the winter.

^ Same. Call me whatever you want, but I'd rather ride in a cleaner (look I know a kid can pee but what's stopping that in the ocean) pool. After you've stepped on a few shells and seen people have a crab cling onto their toe, that thought is always in the back of your mind.

Yeah there are photos of Doo Wopper being taken down floating around on Facebook. Could just be for maintenence/painting/retheming? as they've done that with Flitzer before. I am not sure if there is enough space in that cleared area on Mariners to house Doo Wopper though. That area housed the Kite Flyer which is considerably smaller than DW.