Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

P. 887: Hyperspace Mountain returns on May 25th, 2018!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 6 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Re: Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

Postby cookiex » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:58 pm

WestCoasterKing wrote:I'd always wondered if they would ever one day do away with Tomorrowland completely. Then when rumors regarding Star Wars Land first surfaced and people suggested a TL makeover, I thought that was it. But seeing as Disney nixed that, it gives me hope that TL will live on in it's intended form. I miss those old rides like Innerspace, Mission to Mars, Innovations and Circle Vision. I would like TL to get away from space and sci-fi, and get back to future.

Though it is an 'alternate sci-fi reality', Big Hero 5 would definitely qualify as a look at the future. Which is what TL was always meant to be. It wasn't meant to be Space Land. Space Mountain at least could qualify as looking forward to space travel, but rides like Star Tours, Buzz Lightyear and the Submarine Voyage (which as far as I'm concerned is in Fantasyland) have never really been "tomorrow".

Am I crazy and alone in this thinking?

The problem with Tomorrowland was that the future caught up and dated it meaning Disney had to keep making changes.

Only way to solve that would be to go FAR into the future like past 2100 or something but that's hardly "tomorrow".
Last edited by cookiex on Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:38 pm.
| Taron | Helix | Wildfire | Balder | blue fire Megacoaster | Schwur Des Kärnan | Silver Star | Expedition: Everest | Manta (Florida) | Kraken |
Coaster count: 91

| Europa Park | Liseberg | Phantasialand | Disney's Animal Kingdom | Gröna Lund |
Park count: 28

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:14 pm

I still liked the original way they figured out Disney Paris' Discoveryland. Especially with their Space Mountain. :lover:

All the other lands in all MKs, are based on Disney's way of telling a story. Why not tell a story(land) about The Far Away Future?

Or ditch part of it, like Tokyo Disneyland has done, and add more space for Fantasyland? Like TDL is doing?
And I am looking at both the Autopia and the Submarine footprints. Of course the extension would have to
wrap it's self around and under the monorail path, that leads to the Tomorrowland Stn. And that Rocket Rods track....

<sighs> My five cents. :mickey: And why not bring back the revived, updated, streamlined, waterproofed PEOPLE MOVER?
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

Can I park my donkey here?

Postby ESRLoop » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:47 pm

WestCoasterKing wrote:
How likely is it that both rides get re-themed into non-Star Wars attractions at some point in the future? What other "space, sci-fi" properties does Disney have that could make a decent motion sim ride in say another fifteen years?

I mean as of today it wouldn't happen, but I'd have given the same answer about Tower of Terror in 2004. 15 years is so far out anything is possible.

Tomorrowland as a whole at DL has had several "make-over" projects get started then abruptly shelved for various reasons. Sadly, a TL refurbishment just has a very hard time getting any traction, particularly when there is still a feeling that capital is better spent elsewhere.

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby BlahBlahson » Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:13 am

I wouldn't mind at all if both domestic Star Tours attractions got re-themed. They are just simulators and have been operating for 30 years so who hasn't done them at this point. It's probably a more fun ride as Star Tours than most other ideas but Iron Man could work at DL. Thematically it makes no sense to still have Star Tours 3 years from now (though it also doesn't make any sense to have an entire IP land at DL anyway).
Remember: Get out there and RIDE!

Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Donkey.

Postby WayCool64 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:46 am

As fitting as it is, the problem with bringing the Iron Man ride to Disneyland is that it probably wouldn't make sense in terms of placement since DCA is getting the Marvel Land in the future.
Love animation and video games? Check out my Dinosaur Planet fanseries project: http://dpfanseries.webs.com/

To serve with excellence

A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Postby cookiex » Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:57 am

WayCool64 wrote:As fitting as it is, the problem with bringing the Iron Man ride to Disneyland is that it probably wouldn't make sense in terms of placement since DCA is getting the Marvel Land in the future.

Imo Marvel like Pixar is so vast of a universe that just limiting it to one corner of the resort wouldn't do it justice so I'd be fine with Iron Man going to Tomorrowland while the DCA space is used for other Marvel properties (plus Iron Man does fit TL's mission statement of the possibilities of human achievement).
| Taron | Helix | Wildfire | Balder | blue fire Megacoaster | Schwur Des Kärnan | Silver Star | Expedition: Everest | Manta (Florida) | Kraken |
Coaster count: 91

| Europa Park | Liseberg | Phantasialand | Disney's Animal Kingdom | Gröna Lund |
Park count: 28

Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Donkey.

Postby WayCool64 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:57 pm

cookiex wrote:Imo Marvel like Pixar is so vast of a universe that just limiting it to one corner of the resort wouldn't do it justice so I'd be fine with Iron Man going to Tomorrowland while the DCA space is used for other Marvel properties (plus Iron Man does fit TL's mission statement of the possibilities of human achievement).

I guess that is true. I mean we do have a Toy Story ride in both parks and one of the parks has a bigger Pixar area.
Love animation and video games? Check out my Dinosaur Planet fanseries project: http://dpfanseries.webs.com/

To serve with excellence

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:29 pm

Tomorrowland needs a massive overhaul as it is...

I could see them completely gutting/demolishing Star Tours for a massive re-model of the area that also includes getting rid of the Peoplemover track and old station.

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:45 pm

WayCool64 wrote:As fitting as it is, the problem with bringing the Iron Man ride to Disneyland is that it probably wouldn't make sense in terms of placement since DCA is getting the Marvel Land in the future.

Those simulators are not difficult to move. They could just move them over to DCA and there you have your Iron Man ride! :lol:

Am I allowed to eat donkey during lent?

Postby PeoplemoverMatt » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:57 am

Jew wrote:Tomorrowland needs a massive overhaul as it is...

I could see them completely gutting/demolishing Star Tours for a massive re-model of the area that also includes getting rid of the Peoplemover track and old station.

Not just Star Tours. Just about every building in Tomorrowland needs to be demolished, save for Space Mountain, if Tomorrowland is really going to take that next step. TRON Lightcycle Power Run would have to be at or near the top of the wishlist if that ever actually happens. Then Disney could blend some IP's together and create some unique experiences. Toy Story 4 and Wreck-It Ralph are upcoming. Wrinkle In Time could also find a home, if it avoids becoming Disney's next John Carter. Perhaps Pixar could cook up a WALL-E sequel and also use that to partially revitalize Tomorrowlands on both coasts.

There's probably no shortage of ideas. Unfortunately they all require the almost complete demolition of the existing Tomorrowland. That's a lengthy, expensive project, but it could be a logical one to undertake after Galaxy's Edge is up and running.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!