TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

p. 393 - Pixar Place Hotel transformation will be completed on January 30th, 2024!

Hey there,

first of all, we are long time followers of TPR from far away Germany, thanks a bunch for the fun trip reports, povs and useful tips.

This year we want to make it happen and visit the US for the first time, or rather, visit Disneyland and do a bunch of other stuff in the area since we will be going around september / halloweentime, we wondered if it would be possible to

- visit "vanilla" Disneyland for 3 days

- then do universal, knotts, sfmm

- come back to a halloween'd Disney

maybe this has actually been done before?

move this post if needed, thanks and keep doing what'ya doing!

best regards, ben

Unlike Walt Disney World, which is reasonably-close to Orlando, the Disneyland resort is actually pretty far away from the typical "Los Angeles landmarks" such as Hollywood. It's at least a 30-mile / 48 km drive between Hollywood and Disneyland, and Southern California traffic is some of the most congested in the entire United States - even on weekends. It's a short distance, but it may take an hour or two to get to what you want to see in Los Angeles if you are staying at one of Disneyland's hotels.

The Disneyland resort experiences insane levels of over-crowding, so three days is probably a good bet if you want to relax and enjoy everything. However, a more economical option may be to experience the Disneyland resort over two days, but add the MaxPass ride reservation system for $10 each day each person. Disneyland's normal reservation system, FastPass, is free to all guests, but MaxPass gives you the luxury of being able to make a reservation for any attraction no matter where you are in either of the parks.

Mickey's Halloween Party is a separately-ticketed event, so your normal Disneyland ticket won't be valid, even if you're already in the park. You will basically be asked to leave, and you won't be able to get on any attractions once it starts.

As for the other parks in the area, they are all separated in 30 mi / 48 km increments. Knott's is close to Disneyland, Universal Studios is near Hollywood, and Magic Mountain is 30 miles / 48 km north of Hollywood, again with the terrible Southern California traffic. Keep in that mind when you're making your itinerary - you will have to put aside at least a day of traveling each for Magic Mountain and Universal. Knott's is a little different, if you're staying near Disneyland you may be able to go play at Knott's during the day and then pop into Disneyland for the Halloween party.

Thanks for the extensive reply

I might have phrased it badly, my question was if the parks are "quick enough" with their halloween decorations in the parks and on the rides. But some people already told us it usually takes about 2-3 weeks for the parks to fully transform, also the same amount of time rides like SpaceMountain and HauntedMansion would be down, which rules an experiment like this out of the question.

Indeed, there is a lot of planning involved. We will most likely stay at some Good Neighbour Hotel for DLR/DCA and maybe Knotts, and "move" for a few nights for Universal and SFMM respectively. Sightseeing in the traditional sense is not that high a priority.

If you're planning two separate hotel stays - one in Anaheim and one in Los Angeles - then you'll be in good shape to see all five parks.

But some people already told us it usually takes about 2-3 weeks for the parks to fully transform, also the same amount of time rides like SpaceMountain and HauntedMansion would be down, which rules an experiment like this out of the question.

Yeah, if you want to experience "vanilla" Space Mountain and Haunted Mansion, you would have to come sometime in August. Ghost Galaxy and Haunted Mansion Holiday are pretty great, though! Just be aware that wait times for those attractions are going to feel like an eternity.

You can get fastpasses for Haunted Mansion and Space Mountain. When I was there September '16, I got a Fastpass for Haunted Mansion with a return time of about 45 minutes later. That was enough time to ride Splash Mountain and Pirates of the Caribbean, both of which are very close to Haunted Mansion. From the Fastpass entrance, it was about 15 minutes until I was on the ride.

Space Mountain's Fastpass had a return time about 3 hours later, but while I was "queueing" for it, I rode all the stuff I wanted to in Tomorrowland and Fantasyland, all of which had short lines except Peter Pan, which was about 40 minutes. I don't think any others were more than 15 minutes or so, and Buzz Lightyear was a walkon. The Space Mountain Fastpass line was around 20 minutes once my time arrived.

That's the key to Disneyland. Let the Fastpass take care of the unbearable waits while you physically wait in the short lines.

^ Even though it's getting tougher and tougher dealing with crowds, Disneyland is the ideal park, when you get a FastPass.

Once you have one, like the Haunted Mansion, there is a ton of attractions so close by to you, it's easy to get at least one or three

in, before the FastPass kicks in. I actually did that too, back in Sept.16 with a FP for HM. I did Pooh (ugh), Splash Mtn. (I got SOAKED

after the coaster "dip", before the Beeeez!) and Pirates. Then I did HM, and went single rider for Indy. And then...lunch!

IMG_2124.JPG.85c65b0f1afd47d5d5dd343dafb07b64.JPG

Great to see The Original HM and it's NBC overlay, finally! Sept.13, 2016.

Aw, you were there literally the day after I was and got to ride Indy. It was closed for annual maintenance on my visit.

Which brings up another piece of advice for Kadath: Check the annual maintenance schedule. Outside of the summer, Disneyland usually has one or two rides scheduled to be down for maintenance. Try to go at a time when a ride you don't care about is down.

^ That's what I did, check the maintenance schedule, and found out Indy would be back open

on the last of the three days I was spending at DL and DCA. Timing.

Edited by Nrthwnd

• 2 weeks later...
How crowded do you guys think the park is going to be on Monday? The ticket price for that day is only $97, but I think several OC school districts have that day off from school, so I'm not sure how to analyze it.

A holiday + no AP blackouts + school's having the day off will more than likely = crowded. Good luck!

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2018/02/d23j-update-star-wars-galaxys-edge/

Just moments ago, Chairman of Walt Disney Parks & Resorts Bob Chapek shared an update on the progress of the highly anticipated land, Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge, and shared a sneak peek at the unique Toydarian merchandise guests will find exclusively in the land.

At Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge, guests will visit the planet of Batuu, a remote outpost on the galaxy’s edge that was once a busy crossroads along the old sub-lightspeed trade routes. Here, guests will find themselves in the middle of the action at two attractions that take detail and immersion to the next level: one that lets guests take the controls of Millennium Falcon on a customized secret mission, and an epic Star Wars adventure that puts guests in the middle of a climactic battle between the First Order and the Resistance.

Guests will also be able to explore a street market run by a Toydarian, a character first introduced in “Star Wars: The Phantom Menace.” Among his wares will be handcrafted toys made by local artisans, like those seen above.

Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge is set to open at both the Disneyland and the Walt Disney World Resorts in 2019.

toy234087-624x352.jpg.b839f1d5357833e0d469b173f9e76b99.jpg

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2018/02/d23j-update-disney-california-adventure/

As Disney Parks Chairman Bob Chapek announced at D23 Expo Japan, Pixar Pier will open June 23 at Disney California Adventure park. This reimagined land will feature four whimsical neighborhoods representing beloved Pixar stories with newly themed attractions, foods and merchandise. Guests will enter Pixar Pier through a new marquee, pictured above, which will be topped by the iconic Pixar lamp later in the year.

1185146121_Image_DLR_PixarPierMarquee.thumb.jpg.fa361a62c47ba672da60b700b6310cb2.jpg

The June 23 opening of Pixar Pier will also include the Incredicoaster – a super combination of character figures, lighting and special effects that will bring the Parr family racing alongside you in a high-speed adventure.

ppcdl76898856-613x361.jpg.dc469281413593ff99185099327bb247.jpg

Also coming in June is a dazzling new float for the popular “Paint the Night” parade featuring Mr. Incredible, Elastigirl and Frozone from “The Incredibles.” This new float will bring all of the fun and excitement of the Incredibles’ world to life with high-tech, pop-art effects inspired by the mid-century-modern style of the films. Dynamic and innovative visual technology will also bring Violet, Dash and Jack-Jack to life, showcasing their powers in surprising ways!

1995528979_Image_DLR_PixarFestIncrediblesFloat.thumb.jpg.7c4e0a8964018807d61d36d9392d0468.jpg

“Paint the Night” Parade makes its Disney California Adventure park debut when the first-ever Pixar Fest celebration begins throughout the Disneyland Resort on April 13.

6 hours at Disneyland/DCA was....MAGICAL!

$7 uber each way from Knott's, and boy was it packed. Over an hour wait for all of the e ticket attractions but with help from FP, amazing cast members, and single rider line I got to ride all of my favorites 2-5 times.

Detailed report later but:

Was not happy about the TOT retheme when it was announced but it was amazing in person.

Cars was fantastic.

Not sure what's going on at Maint St but those walls slowed me down. Yikes that was brutal.

wdw2018048937101384_408830061204_dsnyRes-base_dsnyLoc-reg.thumb.jpeg.9a1156477794a4db0d2106b50a5180da.jpeg

I love this Tower.

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2018/02/new-lamplight-lounge-to-open-june-23-at-pixar-pier-in-disney-california-adventure-park/

When Pixar Pier opens June 23 at Disney California Adventure park, guests will discover a new hot spot at the Lamplight Lounge. This seaside lounge will be an elegant yet fun gathering place for the whole family, located at the entrance of Pixar Pier. And I am excited to answer the question on everyone’s mind: It will serve the guest-favorite Lobster Nachos!

Lamplight Lounge will serve California casual gastro-pub cuisine that is playfully presented along with unique signature cocktails. This seaside lounge contains a full bar with picturesque waterfront views from both upstairs and downstairs. At night, outdoor seating provides views of the illuminated Pixar Pier and “World of Color.”

Renovated from an old warehouse factory, the location has kept many features of the original two-story building. The steel structural elements as well as concrete and brick walls were exposed and repaired to tell the story of its past. The original wood boards from the factory were refinished and given new life as ceiling panels and floors. The furniture style echoes a relaxed feel and the end result is an open, airy and bright place that is organic yet sophisticated.

Lamplight Lounge celebrates the creativity, inspirations and personalities of the artists and storytellers who have brought Pixar stories to life. Guests will discover the artistic marks that the Pixar “regulars” have left throughout the lounge: concept art, a quick sketch on a napkin, knick-knacks and collectable toys of beloved Pixar characters will adorn the space.

Come discover the treasured keepsakes and tastes of Lamplight Lounge when it opens along with Pixar Pier on June 23. Guests wishing to visit the Cove Bar one more time are welcome to stop by as it reopens briefly beginning March 16 before closing again at the end of May for its permanent transformation.

ppfifjkn5678784-624x338.jpg.e4d40fec6346f6e06e6af6217a02c1b2.jpg

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2018/02/the-tropical-hideaway-discovered-in-adventureland-at-disneyland-park/

Calling all adventurers! There will soon be a new area of Adventureland to explore at Disneyland park.

The former Aladdin’s Oasis will soon be transformed to The Tropical Hideaway! This new experience will soon appear along the tropical shores nestled between the Jungle Cruise and “Walt Disney’s Enchanted Tiki Room.” This one-of-a-kind destination will be a popular rest stop for Adventureland locals and weary explorers alike. Guests will be able to rub elbows with their favorite skippers in an exotic traders’ market, featuring all of the sights, sounds and flavors of the tropics.

Keep your eye on the Disney Parks Blog for more information on this exciting new location as more is discovered.

jsdfj2345.thumb.jpg.206bb355da2a642aa345144d7a558ae7.jpg

^ From what I've read about this, there's no alcohol being served, as per Disneyland's usual rules about booze, there. Not.

By the way, is the original Magic Kingdom, the only MK that's stuck to the no alcohol rule? Just curious.

Including Club 33 doesn't count. Unless they don't serve alcohol either.

I just hope it doesn't turn into the next 'cool' place like cove bar or Trader Sam's.

It sounds like exactly that - Disneyland's interpretation of Magic Kingdom's Skipper Canteen, with the long required reservations that come with it.