TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

p. 393 - Pixar Place Hotel transformation will be completed on January 30th, 2024!

The Pixar ball is clearly behind mickey on the wheel. It looks like they couldn’t make up their mind and ended up photoshopping Mickey onto the concept art.

This whole thing is a terrible overlay.

This reeks of "what can we do cheap and quick with an IP to drive attendance." I would guess they are getting a little panicked over spreading crowds and made a knee jerk decision to do this overlay.

Might be unpopular opinion but I like the retheme of Paradise Pier. Remember the CEO is now Iger so I don’t think we need to worry about anything being cheap as it simply doesn’t happen that often in Disney anymore (Besides Hyperspace Mountain damn that thing is so cheap) Besides, everything is concept art and details of course can’t be presented through the few sketches we are seeing.

I think youve been looking at their projects through Rose Colored glasses. The DLR has done TONS of things that are cheap, and things that are not. Some more successful then others. But, like you said, it's only art so far, and its likely to change.

But Joey is right, this is to have something to market for when Star Wars Land opens.

Its just that is doesn't solve any problem. Its a solution, in search of a problem.

Since this is a permanent installation, can’t think of many cases since Iger became the CEO.

Screamin’ is a huge ride with insane capacity. I think it doesn’t get that big of a line partially because it’s basically the back drop of Paradise Pier and it’s more of a standard roller coaster with a great bonus soundtrack. With the theme of The Incredibles, story and detail are added to an otherwise nothing special ride that takes up a huge amount of space and doesn’t really help with park attendance. It can help deal with the crowd at RSR and Guardians. Not to mention a themed attraction is better for selling merch anyway.

Since this is a permanent installation, can’t think of many cases since Iger became the CEO.

Screamin’ is a huge ride with insane capacity. I think it doesn’t get that big of a line partially because it’s basically the back drop and it’s more of a standard roller coaster with a great soundtrack. With the theme of The Incredibles, that actually adds story and detail to an otherwise nothing special coaster. Also help with the crowd at RSR and Guardians. Not to mention a themed attraction is better for selling merch anyway.

While I'm definitely going to reserve my judgement until the ride is open, the concept art released makes it seem like it's going to continue to lack theming during the ride itself.

^ It’s really hard to theme a massive and naked outdoors coaster (Hulk, Dragons RIP, Flying Dinosaurs, etc). That’s why “mountains” exists. Screamin’ is to mimic a wood coaster at a boardwalk and it basically acts as a back drop of the pier so the coaster itself is a theme for the area. The main theme added would have to be in the queue anyway.

^ It’s really hard to theme a massive and naked outdoors coaster (Hulk, Dragons RIP, Flying Dinosaurs, etc). That’s why “mountains” exists. Screamin’ is to mimic a wood coaster at a boardwalk and it basically acts as a back drop of the pier so the coaster itself is a theme for the area.

The "wooden" aesthetic would be a bit out of place on a ride themed to The Incredibles.

The main theme added would have to be in the queue anyway.

The concept art doesn't seem to suggest that they're changing much with that, either.

Going off the art, there is really only posters and murals that are added to the queue. There's really not much room there to add anything substantial. And, they aren't enclosing anything. The only place, based on the art, for them to add anything would be inside the tubes themselves In the form of screens. As well, the final break/turn/and pre-station break could all be enclosed if they wanted to add anything.

This area is not visible in the art really, but the final brake does seem to have an additional tube added, that's why I'm even bringing it up.

http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/files/pier-2.jpg

http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/files/pier1.jpg

Might be unpopular opinion but I like the retheme of Paradise Pier. Remember the CEO is now Iger so I don’t think we need to worry about anything being cheap as it simply doesn’t happen that often in Disney anymore (Besides Hyperspace Mountain damn that thing is so cheap) Besides, everything is concept art and details of course can’t be presented through the few sketches we are seeing.

I hope it ends up being better than it looks and I'm sure the designers are going to do the best they can with the project. But given the timeline and the lackluster roll out I recognize this for what it is from TDA having seen it before. I mean DLR has done temporary overlays with a better timeline for design and roll out than this. It almost would have been better to just focus one thing for now and do a larger makeover later if that's what they feel the Pier needs, instead they are spreading their resources too thin for the budget and time frame.

I think Disney has done great in recent years with large scale projects. But smaller quick projects have been hit or miss, even under Iger (Innoventions "replacement," Starrcade/Star Trader... really anything recent in Tomorrowland except Star Tours would be great examples of this).

Like I said I hope it turns out better than it looks... I've just seen how this goes before (and how TDA gets here).

Going off the art, there is really only posters and murals that are added to the queue. There's really not much room there to add anything substantial. And, they aren't enclosing anything. The only place, based on the art, for them to add anything would be inside the tubes themselves In the form of screens. As well, the final break/turn/and pre-station break could all be enclosed if they wanted to add anything.

This area is not visible in the art really, but the final brake does seem to have an additional tube added, that's why I'm even bringing it up.

http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/files/pier-2.jpg

http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/files/pier1.jpg

I thought the same thing. Looking at the concept art, the tunnels are the only real change where they could take advantage of some projection or lighting. Too bad they will be closed over. I really liked being able to take in the view of the park at night from the 2nd lift.

In and of itself, I like the name "Incredicoaster." It kind of has this cute, classic, simple vibe to it, almost, like, "Why didn't anyone think of that before?" But with the theme? No thanks. California Screamin' forever!

I'll miss it, but purely for nostalgic reasons. If we get some cool lighting in the tunnels, a la' the final tunnel in Space Mountain at DLP, I will be as happy as a little girl!

ExYjnr.gif

I like it how it is now, but my son will love it as the Incredicoaster. Even thought it's not much, it'll definitely make my son and a ton of other kids like it that much more.

I don't doubt a lot of kids will like aspects of the overlay. And that's not a bad thing! Disney is just capable of so much more and pulled the trigger too early on this one.

It's not like it's going to be a failure - I'm sure it will rate higher than the current PP. It's just not on the level Disney can/should be.

That was my thought as well. And then to top it all off, the Pixar fireworks and parade is in Disneyland...

I was basically able to confirm my initial thoughts with my former co-workers over there... there is just a general "concern" over pulling crowds to DCA over the next few summers and this was the quickest solution, for better or worse.

Fireworks will always be under the domain of DL (not that a Pixar show is or isn't appropriate at DL...) but the parade puzzles me a little. I'm thinking it's a placeholder while Soundsational gets turned into whatever the next permanent parade is.

• 2 weeks later...
I saw that Disneyland will be halting sales of its Southern California annual passes. Should this improve crowds?

For one, the SoCal Select AP is still being offered. For another, those who have the SoCal AP can still renew it. This won't make much of an impact on crowds at all.

What it does do is encourage gift givers to buy the SoCal Select AP for locals who need a babysitter pass, or the more expensive Deluxe/Signature APs if they're buying for those who need weekends.

Yeah exactly my thoughts as well. It will do little to impact the crowds. At best it might impact Sundays, if the retention rate for that AP is not 100%. If anything, it might be even more challenging crowd wise next year. I think instead of restricting pass sales, they should have pulled the trigger of the expansion of main street they rumored a long time ago, and developed a use for some of the dead venues of DL.

• 2 weeks later...