TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

p. 393 - Pixar Place Hotel transformation will be completed on January 30th, 2024!

Most recently, Fastpasses for the attraction are actually all gone before it even opens!

Question: Is there a "lull" they enact, so as to "switch" to the the After Dark program?

Or does it just...happen? At five pm? More or less?

We definitely want to go on both versions, when we next visit the park. If they do it again.

Yes, they cycle out the ride and it does actually close for a short period of time. The Disneyland App shows it closing at 4pm, and reopening at 5pm. The cast members do a small costume alteration and the ride show is changed over during this time.

Also, the Stand-by line could close early if its running long, because they need to reopen by 5 to allow the people who have Fastpasses to use them.

The night time version, After Dark, is insane. There's so much airtime, I was hardly in my seat for a majority of the ride. At one point, it was hard to distinguish if we were being pulled up or down. I tried to get video of the new digital mapping effects on the outside of the building to post, but my phone bricked after vacation. They're very cool.

That is awesome to hear. I will forever love the Twilight edition of these types of rides, I just loved the storyline combined with the huge tower, but if they (as you said) ramped up the ride experiences for night time riders, and have now made 2 different ride experiences in 1 day, that is an awesome plus as far as I'm concerned, and I can forgive them for giving up the Twilight theme.

I'll never forget having to BEG my ex to get on ToT because she absolutely HATED the airtime parts, but to me, it was one of the best rides in California because there was nothing else like it that deliberately tossed you up from your seat, relentlessly, multiple times. With only a seatbelt!! To hear it may even be more extreme at night makes me really want to check out the Guardians overlay, I would probably visit the park just for that ride experience alone.

Now that a few weeks have gone by here....

Something to discuss: If Disney actually built a third gate in the Anaheim area, what would the possibility be (and put the reality of permits, zoning, the public et al, to the side, for the moment), of them creating the exact same Gondola System they're currently building at WDW? And running it from the (eventual) Marvels Land, beside the ToT (and behind CarsLand) in DCA, to that third park, and back? Parking would also be at the other park, of course. But this would be a literal "Parks Slider", themed however they wished to present it.

It makes sense to me, for now, and definitely ups the 21st century way of mass transit, in a way Europe, Asia, and other continents/countries have done for years and years, lol. Universal did it with a train - why not Disney with above the ground (i.e. flying) travel? If the WDW system works well, they may consider it for the West Coast.

Or maybe not.

By "third gate" I assume you mean a third park? What is this gondola you're speaking of?

^This is the Gondola System he is talking about.

Disney Parks Blog

And yes, he meant a third park. One day, some day, the Disneyland Resort might get a third park.

That's terrifying to think about. Crowds and traffic are already nuts when parks are at capacity. Disney would likely have to invest $5 billion for the park and upgrading all the surrounding infrastructure.

Speak of the Devil

Disney Parks Blog

Parking.thumb.jpg.e8aca3e584dfe2be2bc1b8c6a20e93d8.jpg

Parking and Transportation Improvements Coming to the Disneyland Resort

Erin Glover

by Erin Glover, Editorial Content Director, Disneyland Resort

As part of the multi-year expansion of the Disneyland Resort, we are upgrading, improving and adding new parking and transportation enhancements that have been long envisioned for the resort. The centerpiece of this plan is an all-new parking structure to be built on the current Pinocchio surface parking lot next to Mickey & Friends.

This new 6,500-space structure is designed to dramatically improve parking and traffic flow throughout the resort. It is expected to significantly speed up guest arrival by providing a 60 percent increase in the number of access lanes and adding additional parking capacity on the west side of the resort.

The additional parking capacity and access lanes will streamline vehicle arrivals on the west side of the resort and eliminate backups onto city streets. In addition, the tram boarding area will be reconfigured to enhance the transportation experience for guests parking at both the new structure and Mickey & Friends.

Construction is scheduled to begin in February 2018, with the structure set to open the following year.

And another one!

Disney Parks Blog

New Hotel Coming to the Disneyland Resort in 2021

Erin Glover

by Erin Glover, Editorial Content Director, Disneyland Resort

We have some exciting news to share with you today about continuing expansion and growth of the Disneyland Resort. For the first time in almost two decades, we will open a new Four Diamond hotel! Set to open in 2021, this hotel will transform the west end of the Downtown Disney District and anchor a new gateway to the Disneyland Resort.

1978111471_Hotel2.jpg.3317b31685d5a2f0aa9b984319c22cf3.jpg

The stunning 700-room hotel will feature a sophisticated design and be a game-changer for Anaheim, creating a dynamic dining, entertainment and hotel experience for resort visitors and local residents. Extensive landscaping and water elements will create a resort oasis, showcasing nature on every level of the hotel. The hotel’s location embraces the iconic Disneyland Monorail with a dedicated platform inside the hotel for direct transport into Disneyland park.

Guest rooms, public spaces and gardens will provide views of the Downtown Disney District. In addition, an upper-level restaurant and lounge will give guests a view of the popular Disneyland park fireworks.

The ground level of the hotel will include shops and restaurants opening onto an expansive landscaped plaza complete with playful water features, creating a gathering place for guests and visitors. The new hotel also connects all four Hotels of the Disneyland Resort through lush gardens and beautifully landscaped walkways, transforming the gateway on the west side and creating a welcoming entry for our Disneyland Resort guests.

Hotel.thumb.jpg.1652339507969953ffdead842d78983b.jpg

And that’s not all. This new hotel creates great benefits for the community, generating approximately $25 million in new taxes in its first five years of operation that go directly to Anaheim’s general fund. It also will create thousands of additional construction and permanent jobs and attract new hotel guests to the resort area.

Construction is scheduled to start in summer 2018, with a grand opening slated for 2021. Check back here for updates!

Also, based on the art only, the following locations will be closing:

ESPN Zone

AMC Theaters

Earl of Sandwich

DVC Office

Starbucks West

Alamo Car Rental

Disney Travel Company Office

Rainforest Cafe

Did I miss anything?

Edited by COASTER FREAK 11

Mickey and Friends has 2 elevators for 10000+ parking spaces, most parking spaces being able to hold 4 or more people. So as long as this new one has a reasonable amount of elevators for people with small children, I can deal with whatever restaurant loss we have to deal with

Speak of the Devil

Disney Parks Blog

Also, based on the art only, the following locations will be closing:

ESPN Zone

AMC Theaters

Earl of Sandwich

DVC Office

Starbucks West

Alamo Car Rental

Disney Travel Company Office

Rainforest Cafe

Did I miss anything?

The OC Register mentions that the new hotel will be located in space currently occupied by AMC, Earl of Sandwich, Rainforest Cafe, and ESPN Zone. It makes me wonder... with the loss of the AMC theater, would the Resort think to open it's own theater within the new property?

As long as we don't lose Trader Sam's, everything is fine by me.

If only the Monorail had it's own Trader Sam's stop.

The new hotel looks great. I just hope that somehow Disneyland Drive is expanded between what is now Magic Way and Ball Road. Traffic at that crazy merge point is already really bad if you time it wrong. I'm not sure I want to imagine what will happen with 6500 more parking spaces, 700 more hotel rooms plus parking, and Star Wars Land opening while that area is a huge construction zone.

I'm a little bummed this hotel doesn't appear to be themed at all. With the exception of the Grand Californian, I've always hated the fact that Disney charges an absurd amount of money for what are basically glorified Hilton's. This hotel looks to continue that trend, but it might as well just be a luxury brand instead---inflated even more than your typical Ritz Carlton or Waldorf Astoria would be priced. I’m sure it will still look amazing and it fills a huge void for the city of Anaheim (true high end hotel), but I really hope it turns out like a Disney “ultra deluxe” hotel and not a high end hotel that happens to be on Disney property.

What I love is how all the hotels will be connected by a "resort area"...also never liked how everything was just thrown together as best they could. This looks like the first time they are really trying to master plan the area.

Edited by Jew

I'm a little bummed this hotel doesn't appear to be themed at all. With the exception of the Grand Californian, I've always hated the fact that Disney charges an absurd amount of money for what are basically glorified Hilton's. This hotel looks to continue that trend, but it might as well just be a luxury brand instead---inflated even more than your typical Ritz Carlton or Waldorf Astoria would be priced. I’m sure it will still look amazing and it fills a huge void for the city of Anaheim (true high end hotel), but I really hope it turns out like a Disney “ultra deluxe” hotel and not a high end hotel that happens to be on Disney property.

What I love is how all the hotels will be connected by a "resort area"...also never liked how everything was just thrown together as best they could. This looks like the first time they are really trying to master plan the area.

My understanding is there will be *some* theme, albeit not on the level of GCH or WDW's better themed resorts, but still a step up from PPH or DLH. The concept art is more illustrative of the location and integration with DTD than firm theme concepts. As you point out part of the purpose of the project is creating a more seamless resort experience (both thematically and functionally) and the new hotel's theme is expected to flow with an overall resort theme.

I know this spells the (near-term) death of the Eastern Gateway Project, but will visitors still be able to enter and exit the Resort/Esplanade from Harbor Blvd, or do they intend to funnel ALL guests through the west side? I can't imagine the latter being the case, but I haven't read anything indicating that everything will be status quo on the East side... Also, I'm guessing if nothing changes on the East side then that will kill the expansion of DCA northward (where Marvel Land was initially expected to go) which would match up with more recent plans that they will expand Marvel Land south of GotG and raze Bugs Land as well...?

Well, the moving of the Transportation area was included in the Eastern Gateway project. So, if the project is on hold, it seems everything related to it might be as well.

As far as anyone knows, the East entrance to the Esplanade will remain unchanged for the time being.

As for future DCA Expansion, that was never announced, so it's really anyone's guess. If they chose to expand DCA, they will need to find another location for the Transportation area to go, or do away with it completely. But it would seem, they could move it to the East side of the resort.

No matter what happens, I personally do not believe that Disney will ever close off the Eastern entrance to the resort. Closing the Eastern entrance just to spite the hotels and city would cause a giant issue with guests that I don't think would be worth anything Disney 'might' gain.

And Disney owns the Eastern Gateway and Carousel Inn land. As well as the Toy Story and K Lot land. So, in the future, if Disney builds stuff there, guests coming from those locations would have to enter from the East.

Well, the moving of the Transportation area was included in the Eastern Gateway project. So, if the project is on hold, it seems everything related to it might be as well.

As far as anyone knows, the East entrance to the Esplanade will remain unchanged for the time being.

As for future DCA Expansion, that was never announced, so it's really anyone's guess. If they chose to expand DCA, they will need to find another location for the Transportation area to go, or do away with it completely. But it would seem, they could move it to the East side of the resort.

No matter what happens, I personally do not believe that Disney will ever close off the Eastern entrance to the resort. Closing the Eastern entrance just to spite the hotels and city would cause a giant issue with guests that I don't think would be worth anything Disney 'might' gain.

And Disney owns the Eastern Gateway and Carousel Inn land. As well as the Toy Story and K Lot land. So, in the future, if Disney builds stuff there, guests coming from those locations would have to enter from the East.

^ that's what I figured... I was just concerned because nothing was written in any of the press releases or articles so far... I think it would be disastrous to close down the Eastern entrance. We always stay somewhere along Harbor or the area around Harbor/Katella when we visit, and we always use the Eastern entrance. I was cautiously optimistic about the positive changes the Eastern Gateway Project would have brought, but somewhat concerned that I would essentially have to walk out of my hotel on Harbor and backtrack probably at least 1/4 to 1/2 a mile behind the hotels to go through security and enter the walkway/bridge to the Resort. I actually really like the proposal they've put forward and think it's the best solution right now given the pushback from Anaheim city council. My only request? Please include Earl of Sandwich inside the new hotel!

Disney still has a huge 90 acre overflow parking lot southeast of the park off of Harbor and Katella and they have shuttles which disembark on the east side. The east side also where other buses and personal vehicles can drop off passengers. Or at least they used to. Plus all of people staying at the non-Disney hotels access the park in that side.

I’m going to assume they will still need the eastern gateway as a key focal point to sustaining growth. Just don’t think they wanted to wait any longer on the hotel. Also think they wanted to send a message to all those business owners on harbor who fought them that they don’t mess around——this project pulls people away from harbor Blvd now.

Edited by Jew