TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

p. 393 - Pixar Place Hotel transformation will be completed on January 30th, 2024!

I couldn't find any info on that actually. I imagine they sold it off.

In new attraction news, they are bringing "The VOID" experience to Downtown Disney with the Star Wars theme of course. Read about it on Disney Parks blog, sounds really interesting. Probably taking over the Build A Bear shop. Part of the return of the "Season of the Force" for the holidays?

Here is the post from the Parks Blog

aslhg7698752.thumb.jpg.2e6b1e3401db80b8415a23bc8c60966f.jpg

Thu, August 3, 2017

The VOID’s New Hyper-Reality Experience Star Wars: Secrets of the Empire coming to Downtown Disney, Disney Springs

Thomas Smith

by Thomas Smith, Editorial Content Director, Disney Parks

We have exciting news today for Star Wars fans! The VOID’s new, groundbreaking hyper-reality experience, Star Wars: Secrets of the Empire is coming to Downtown Disney at the Disneyland Resort and Disney Springs at Walt Disney World Resort.

Beginning this holiday season, Star Wars: Secrets of the Empire will transport you to a galaxy far, far away where you’ll be able to engage with friends, family and Star Wars characters through sight, sound, touch, smell, and motion. It’ll even allow environmental effects to be felt using Haptic feedback – melding the physical and digital worlds together. So, you don’t just see the Star Wars universe, you’re part of it at Disney Parks.

vidojg479789.thumb.jpg.ea90dbe9c726fa9b9b3c5767c26d8728.jpg

Star Wars: Secrets of the Empire

Plans for this first-of-its-kind experience were just unveiled by THE VOID, an entertainment company that combines the magic of illusions and advanced technology to create immersive social experiences that take visitors to new worlds. Lucasfilm and ILMxLab are collaborating to help develop this one-of-a-kind experience at Downtown Disney and Disney Springs.

We’ll have many more details to share in the future. Keep checking the Disney Parks Blog for updates as work begins on Star Wars: Secrets of the Empire.

It does not say where this experience will be going in Downtown Disney. And, per an OC Register article: "The three neighboring shops [build-A-Bear Workshop, Chapel Hats and Ridemakerz] are closing to make room for more dining facilities in the area, according to a Disneyland Resort spokesperson."

So, it would seem there will be more food in that area, rather then the Star Wars VR Experience.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I always plan for the largest crowd I've ever seen to be there when I walk up. That way if it is crowded, I'm not caught off-guard, but if it happens to be even just a moderate day, I'm instantly in a better mood.

I always plan for the largest crowd I've ever seen to be there when I walk up. That way if it is crowded, I'm not caught off-guard, but if it happens to be even just a moderate day, I'm instantly in a better mood.

I've honestly already set my expectations like this anyway, we take this school trip every 2 years (although last time was in a different season) and it was really good the first two days, but the last day was unbearable. I really just wanted to know when the holiday rush really starts, I'm hoping that we're going too early for most holiday tourists.

Those dates are actually pretty good for crowds. The 9th is likely to be busiest day. You are in between the rushes, post thanksgiving and pre christmas so it is a good window there. It is more crowded in the afternoons and early evenings. One wild card is the return of paint the night parade at dca. It will be interesting to see if it dents the fantasmic crush of humanity on the riverfront at disneyland.

There is never a day anymore where Disneyland isn't busy. It's either full of tourists or full of people who are going to the park when their pass isn't blocked out.

I went Thursday-Saturday just after Labor Day last year and got several walk-ons including Winnie The Pooh, Small World, Splash Mountain, Monsters Inc. Because of Haunted Mansion, I got 2 rides on Pooh and a ride on Splash in the FastPass time.

Only annoying lines were Peter Pan, Nemo Subs, and Toy Story Mania.

Rode everything I wanted too except Little Mermaid which was closed.

Especially if you go with a non-rider who "Accidentally" picks Fastpass for attractions they can't ride.

Fastpasses are now tied to the individual park ticket, and they take your photo at the gates now too.

No doubt crowds will pick right back up next week when the holiday decorations and overlays are in full-swing.

Speaking of overlays, so if I understand this correctly, the Halloween overlay of Mission Breakout happens as soon as the sun sets, right? And the regular version of the ride still operates during the day? If that's the case, then I'm gonna have to plan out grabbing Fastpasses for it accordingly.

I also read that Mater's Junkyard Jamboree and Luigi's Rockin Roadsters will get Halloween overlays too? Do they mean just the decorations or the rides will have new songs to dance along to?

Edited by Simipour'sTrainer

^ What I have found out, from Micechat.com

Luigi’s will become “Honkin Haul-O-Ween” with all new songs as well. Disney promises haunted versions of classic Italian festival songs with names like “Terror-antella” and “The Chop Top of Carsoli.”

And here's page to go to, with a lot of photos of newly Haul-O-Ween-ed CarsLand.

And I did read somewhere, Mater's attraction will get a new jamboree song, too.

http://micechat.com/170288-disney-cars-land-haul-o-ween/

Hallow-Mater.jpg.ade0ea517a44354c8a844eb38971cb05.jpg

Especially if you go with a non-rider who "Accidentally" picks Fastpass for attractions they can't ride.

Fastpasses are now tied to the individual park ticket, and they take your photo at the gates now too.

Aw, That bites.

Shameless Plug: November 5 will be Top 5 Things I'd add to Disneyland

I hope that WOC, maybe next year, gets involved in the Halloween season if the plan is to shift the Halloween party over to DCA. Some of the decorations have gone up at DCA, and they are pretty charming. It is rather impressive that they planned for GOTG to be part of the Halloween event as well.

I hope that WOC, maybe next year, gets involved in the Halloween season if the plan is to shift the Halloween party over to DCA. Some of the decorations have gone up at DCA, and they are pretty charming. It is rather impressive that they planned for GOTG to be part of the Halloween event as well.

Starring Neil Patrick Harris

• 1 month later...

Now that a few weeks have gone by here....

Something to discuss: If Disney actually built a third gate in the Anaheim area, what would the possibility be (and put the reality of permits, zoning, the public et al, to the side, for the moment), of them creating the exact same Gondola System they're currently building at WDW? And running it from the (eventual) Marvels Land, beside the ToT (and behind CarsLand) in DCA, to that third park, and back? Parking would also be at the other park, of course. But this would be a literal "Parks Slider", themed however they wished to present it.

It makes sense to me, for now, and definitely ups the 21st century way of mass transit, in a way Europe, Asia, and other continents/countries have done for years and years, lol. Universal did it with a train - why not Disney with above the ground (i.e. flying) travel? If the WDW system works well, they may consider it for the West Coast.

Or maybe not.

MarvelExpansion.jpeg.8b21926066cbdaaa709cab8e2fe23148.jpeg

A gondola station, would be easy to place in this possible/probable Marvels Land space.

Thankyou MiceCHAT.com for the picture.

^Yes, Mission Breakout will be two different experiences in one day. At a certain time, it will switch to the night time version.

As for the two Cars Land rides, the parks blog doesn't say to what extent the overlays will be, so we'll have to wait and see!

The night time version, After Dark, is insane. There's so much airtime, I was hardly in my seat for a majority of the ride. At one point, it was hard to distinguish if we were being pulled up or down. I tried to get video of the new digital mapping effects on the outside of the building to post, but my phone bricked after vacation. They're very cool.

^Yes, Mission Breakout will be two different experiences in one day. At a certain time, it will switch to the night time version.

As for the two Cars Land rides, the parks blog doesn't say to what extent the overlays will be, so we'll have to wait and see!

Mission Breakout switches to "After Dark" at 5pm. This is also the time they start distributing fastpasses/maxpasses for the "After Dark" version.

And I concur, the "After Dark" version is a wild good time!!! Especially with the more intense theme music. It really fits the ride atmosphere well.

Question: Is there a "lull" they enact, so as to "switch" to the the After Dark program?

Or does it just...happen? At five pm? More or less?

We definitely want to go on both versions, when we next visit the park. If they do it again.

Mission Breakout switches to "After Dark" at 5pm. This is also the time they start distributing fastpasses/maxpasses for the "After Dark" version.

And I concur, the "After Dark" version is a wild good time!!! Especially with the more intense theme music. It really fits the ride atmosphere well.

Nope, they start Fastpass/Maxpass distribution for Monsters After Dark at 3pm.