TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Tripsdrill Discussion Thread

Hey everybody!

This thread is simple! Rather than having a million little threads about everything that goes on at Tripsdrill, this thread is designed to consolidate it all into one user-friendly thread. Feel free to use it to post updates, trip reports, questions, comments, and of course, general discussion. For pictures and videos of the park as well as past updates, see TPR's Park Index Page.

Official Park Website

Below are some links to past updates from the park, you may be interested in. Enjoy!

--Robb

Oct 9th, 2007 - Mammut, a new wooden coaster announced! (See Below)

Oct 13th, 2007 - Layout and renderings of Mammut!

Dec 18th, 2007 - Construction pic of the first drop

Jan 9th, 2008 - Construction pics from the park

Feb 5th, 2008 - More construction Pics

Mar 15th, 2010 - Tripsdrill focuses on nature with the 2010 season

October 22nd, 2012 - Park is adding a launched coaster with a dark ride section

May 30th, 2013 - Construction tour of Karacho

December 1st, 2016 - SkyFly announced for 2017

April 26th, 2018 - New coasters planned for 2019 and 2020 seasons

Original Post:

German for "The Mammoth".

(both the animal and the tree (sequoia) have been an inspiration for the name, because of their impressive size)

• height: 30m / 98.4 ft

• length: 860m / 2821.5 ft

• top speed: 90 kph / 56 mph

• includes a tunnel and trenches

The ride has been designed by the Werner Stengel bureau and will be built by Cordes GmbH, the company responsible for the prefabricated track as well as general construction of Colossos, Balder, El Toro and the roller coaster under construction at Everland, Korea. This one (Mammut) will have a typical laminated track though...altough it will have some modern technology applied here and there.

Rolling stock by Gerstlauer.

The ride will also have a splinkler system to keep it flexible in the hot summer months.

The sequoia tree (also known as mammoth tree) will be the main theme of the ride, with the train representing a sawmill blade gone loose, the station and surroundings a saw mill.

A new themed area will be built around the ride, with a total area of 2 ha (roughly 5 acres), but all of that won't be completed until 2010.

Total cost of 6 million euro. The roller coaster is opening March 10, 2008.

211785416_set554-jpg(Medium).jpg.5586c71fd8ec00c7c92b40376a94efc9.jpg

Park directors Helmut, Roland and Dieter Fischer.

Edited by SharkTums

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only Stengel filed the patent, there is absolutely no reason for Intamin to be specifically bound to this particular type of coaster except a good relationship between Stengel and Intamin, and some exclusive facilities Intamin offers, such as their trains, Cable Lift system etc.

And since Tripsdrill has a good commercial relationship with Gerstlauer, and probably doesn't care about a cable lift system, or fart coaster trains...

I think it's safe to assume that whatever the specifics are of the track system it will be made from precision milled laminated lumber (that's what Holzbau Cordes specializes in) and not boards and nails. I think using prefab track on wooden coasters is such a good idea that there's no reason other manufacturers won't start using this technology.

I think using prefab track on wooden coasters is such a good idea that there's no reason other manufacturers won't start using this technology.

I can only imagine there has got to be a large amount of money to be made if a company can start offering "We will re-track your traditional woodie, with a pre-fab track system."

Parks at that point parks really COULD re-market that ride. Can you IMAGINE what a ride like GhostRider would be like if they re-tracked with that type of system?

I do wonder, are any US based companies researching making woodies with this type of system. At least it can be an option that they offer. GCI? TGG? You guys even thinking about it?

--Robb

I can only imagine there has got to be a large amount of money to be made if a company can start offering "We will re-track your traditional woodie, with a pre-fab track system."

If for example Magic Mountain wants prefab track for Colossus, all they have to do is contact the Stengel bureau.

The reason we haven't seen it yet is the cost. Especially for older rides of which no blueprints are left.

However, in my opinion, a park can transform a crappy ride into something so awesome they can advertise it as something brand new.

Mean Streak is the perfect candidate...

If for example Magic Mountain wants prefab track for Colossus, all they have to do is contact the Stengel bureau.

The reason we haven't seen it yet is the cost. Especially for older rides of which no blueprints are left.

However, in my opinion, a park can transform a crappy ride into something so awesome they can advertise it as something brand new.

Mean Streak is the perfect candidate...

I can imagine the cost of getting that done is one fo the major sticking points. Putting a new track down might mean anything to adding additional supports, a new ride control system, new brakes, maybe even new trains if warranted. Of course it's never been done as yet so that's all up in the air.

But the idea of putting what is proven to be a superb running surface on rides which could really use it is a great one.

It seems that "Mammut" will NOT have the "Plug ´n Play"-Track!

The price tag for the ride is a bit too moderate to have Gerstlauer build new trains.

I also don´t think that retrofitting existing rides with the new track style would be an efficient way to better a ride.

The new track would have to fit exactly on the existing structure. With wooden rides, this is close to impossible.

It seems that "Mammut" will NOT have the "Plug ´n Play"-Track!

The price tag for the ride is a bit too moderate to have Gerstlauer build new trains.

No it's not. Last time I checked 6 million Euros is about $8.5 million. Balder cost about $9 million and this ride is 700 feet less of track.

Where are you getting your information at because it sounds like you are coming across as stating facts, but my guess is just your own opinions based on who knows what.

--Robb

My information is received from the german press release, the press conference and from some people who are usually well informed. Its nothing behind the scenes.

The 6 million Euro are the total investment the park will spend on the coaster AND a new, surrounding area which will be finished by 2010.

All available info now indicates that the ride will not use the lamintated track found on the three Intamin woodies. Apparently Holzbau Cordes will use a new/different/"advanced" fabrication. What this will be, was not talked about.

I don´t know if "advanced" (which roughly translates the word that was used) stands for a better, or maybe a simpler (cheaper) way to produce the track.