TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags vs. Cedar Fair

^Do you realize the only major accident in either chain in 2015 was a death at Cedar Point? And that these "accidents" are the park's fault less than 1% of the time? Come to think of it, the only other "accident" I can think of from either chain outside of the Raptor incident was the first Raptor airgate incident.

The fact of the matter is that both chains have nearly impeccable safety records. I wouldn't consider an incident like those at Raptor to be a negative on the park at all--in fact, I give the park credit for handling it as professionally as they did.

Regardless, I'd recommend at least visiting a SF park before claiming your distrust in them. Most of the time, you'll enjoy your time at the park (especially if it's at one of their better parks--Fiesta Texas, Over Georgia, Great Adventure).

Remember when that lady fell to her death on Texas Giant at SF Over Texas? Because I do.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

^Do you realize the only major accident in either chain in 2015 was a death at Cedar Point? And that these "accidents" are the park's fault less than 1% of the time? Come to think of it, the only other "accident" I can think of from either chain outside of the Raptor incident was the first Raptor airgate incident.

The fact of the matter is that both chains have nearly impeccable safety records. I wouldn't consider an incident like those at Raptor to be a negative on the park at all--in fact, I give the park credit for handling it as professionally as they did.

Regardless, I'd recommend at least visiting a SF park before claiming your distrust in them. Most of the time, you'll enjoy your time at the park (especially if it's at one of their better parks--Fiesta Texas, Over Georgia, Great Adventure).

Remember when that lady fell to her death on Texas Giant at SF Over Texas? Because I do.

Oh, I hadn't realized that happened again in 2015.

It was a horrible occurrence, but if you feel that particular instance represents a jeopardization to your safety consider this: Millions upon millions of people visit Six Flags parks each year. They average around 25 million visitors per year across the chain, so over the last three seasons that equates to roughly 75 million. A one in 75 million chance of a fatal accident is safer than air travel, and considering the circumstances of that particular occurrence the chances are even lower. It was a freak incident influenced by the passenger's waistline undermining the ability of the restraint being able to secure her properly during strong negative g-force elements of the ride. These are extremely rare, and while they have happened and are tragic they should be examined closely as to why they happened and whether the would happen to you. Unfortunately people speak in nonsensical platitudes, for instance reporting to the media that a hydraulic lap bar didn't click.

• 1 year later...

According to the National Geographic - "The odds of becoming a lightning victim in the U.S. in any one year is 1 in 700,000. The odds of being struck in your lifetime is 1 in 3,000. Lightning can kill people (3,696 deaths were recorded in the U.S. between 1959 and 2003) or cause cardiac arrest."