Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom Discussion Thread

P. 422: Stinger being removed
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Bubbles!

Postby ParkTrips » Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:08 pm

Jay echos my thoughts (and funny enough Christina liked it too), even if he did like Hercules :roll:

I hate when a ride's best part comes before the lift and the rest of the elements are forceless, slow and lame...

The Resident Smart-Ass

Postby CoasterFanatic » Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:56 pm

I was pretty underwhelmed with the coaster. It didn't seem to make any aggressive moves at all and it suffers from the same rattle that has plagued every floorless since Batman (Now Dominator).
Ted

The Resident Vegetarian Hippie

Postby Hercules » Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:03 pm

That rattling depends on the day and the seat. Sometimes it doesn't rattle at all, but on other days the rattling is horrible. I don't really think there is much that can be done about that though.

Whatever, I'll ride it tomorrow night, but if anyone is at the park you will most likely find me in the back row, far left seat of Talon :wink:

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby YoshiFan » Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:06 pm

I enjoyed the ride enough to go on 4 times when I was there 1 1/2 weeks ago. I haven't been on any other floorless coasters so I can't compare it to another floorless but I sort of liked the forcelessness of the ride. In the past month I started to try out more thrilling coasters (before August 2005, the most intense coaster I had been on was Loch Ness Monster). I don't think I would have liked it as much if it really had a lot of forces like the earlier B&M coasters supposedly have.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby CoasterCrazy » Fri Sep 30, 2005 2:46 am

It's pretty bad when the JoJo is the only good part of a coaster!

I can't hate it to much since it was my 100th coaster, I wonder if my 200th coaster will be better or worser! :)

Pro Rock-O-Plane Flyer

Postby nannerdw » Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:22 am

I don't think I would have liked it as much if it really had a lot of forces like the earlier B&M coasters supposedly have.

Early B&M's really are intense. Batman: The Ride was probably the most intense ride I have ever ridden. I blacked out 3 to 4 times while riding it. Most of the ride has very strong positive g's.

I would probably enjoy Hydra, since I hate when I have to worry about going unconcious through every loop. I'm more of a fan of intense negative g's and floater air than blackout-inducing positive g's.

Bubbles!

Postby ParkTrips » Fri Sep 30, 2005 6:02 am

CoasterCrazy wrote:I can't hate it to much since it was my 100th coaster...

It was my 100th too and it worked out that way after receiving the advice that it would be a good excuse to say the word "jojo" :lol:

Site Admin

Oldest building at Dorney Park to be demolished

Postby robbalvey » Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:46 am

First the Orignial Berry Stand at Knott's, now this!

http://www.mcall.com/news/local/all-b1_ ... y?coll=all

'Where it all began'
Dorney Park's oldest building, the former Mansion House Hotel, is coming down.
By Ron Devlin
Of The Morning Call

Before it passes into history, Bob Ott took one last look at the old building in the center of Dorney Park.

Its original elegance had long been masked by additions, facades and signs that read ''Gold Mine Arcade'' and ''Dippin' Dots Ice Cream.''

Few, other than Ott, 87, former Dorney Park chairman, know that beneath the fake brick and aluminum siding lies a jewel that was at the center of the 121-year-old amusement park's history.

It's the Mansion House Hotel & Restaurant, the oldest building in Dorney Park, and today it will fall to the wrecking ball.

''I get a tear in my eye when I think of it being torn down,'' confessed Ott, who worked at the park for 40 years. ''But it's time for it to go.''

Dorney Park management had considered renovating the structure, spokeswoman Heather Kramer said, but its age and condition made the work too expensive.

''We had no choice but to tear it down,'' Kramer said.

The building, next to center stage, will be replaced by a Subway sandwich shop and an outdoor plaza when the park reopens next year.

Ott, who retired in 1986, revisited the old structure Tuesday and reminisced about the park's history.

The Mansion House Hotel & Restaurant was owned by Solomon Dorney, the park's founder, in the 1880s. Dorney, who farmed the area around the hotel, raised trout and served them as a delicacy in his restaurant.

''It had a big front porch with rocking chairs, like most of the hotels of the day,'' said Ott, who has reproductions of old Mansion House photographs. ''This is where it all began.''

Solomon Dorney added crude amusement rides to the hotel — the Old Mill, the Ferris wheel and the Scenic Railway. In 1884, with more rides added, Dorney Park was born.

Installation of a double-track trolley line in 1899 was a key factor in the park's development, Ott said. At a time when few had automobiles, the trolley provided a convenient way for Allentown residents to get to the park.

''That's what made the park,'' Ott said. ''Transportation.''

The Allentown-Kutztown Traction Co., which owned the trolley system, bought the park in 1901. The trolley line operated it until 1923, the year the first wooden roller coaster was built, when the company sold the park to Robert Plarr, Bill Ruske and Ray Sandt. Plarr bought out the partners a few years later, initiating the park's modern era.

Ott married Plarr's daughter, Sally, in 1940. After a stint in the Merchant Marine during World War II, he began working at the park in 1946.

''I did everything from slinging hot dogs to painting buildings,'' he recalled. ''In those days, you did everything.''

In 1966, after the death of then-President I am too stupid to spell Steel Vengeance so I'll just write SteVen and pretend I'm being cool Plarr, Ott became president. He was elevated to chairman of the board in 1980 and retired six years later.

Tramping through the dark innards of the old Mansion House, Ott recalled milestones in the park's history.

Ott recalled one incident in the big-band era, when top bands like Tommy Dorsey's played at Castle Garden dance hall on the park grounds. Eddy Duchin, a big-band pianist, was playing ''Stormy Weather'' when a bolt of lightning knocked out the lights.

''Nobody minded. They just kept on dancing,'' Ott said.

Then there was the nun who did an unintentional back-flip off the rowboat ride when the operator jerked the boat. And the woman who peeled potatoes in her bare feet at the french fries stand.

Ott was ''flabbergasted'' at the $2 million price tag of Thunder Creek Mountain, the park's flume ride. He just signed the loan papers and hoped it was the right thing to do.

''You had to gamble in this business,'' Ott said. ''Sun or rain makes the difference between profit or loss.''

Ott scoured the deteriorating upper floors of the old Mansion House, where he found old Dorney Park envelopes and a sound speaker from the 1940s.

Insignificant to most, they were treasures to a man who invested four decades of his life in the park, run by Cedar Fair L.P. of Ohio since 1992. He's comfortable with Cedar Fair's modernization, which has turned the park into a fiesta of 100 rides on 200 acres.

Yet, it was hard for the old amusement park warrior to let go of the one remaining symbol of the park's 19th century origin.

''It's hard to see it go,'' said Ott, wearing a Dorney Park baseball hat. ''But that's progress.''

http://www.mcall.com/media/photo/2005-11/20514041.jpg
dorney.jpg

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby Canadmos » Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:55 am

Its looks like quite a nice building..only to be replaced with a Subway stand?

Pathetic if you ask me....

Do you know where your wife is?

Postby PhishyBrewer » Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:06 am

They could of least of got a MrHero like they have at Geagua Lake.

Does anyone here know of MrHero? I thinks it's just a small midwest thing.
mr_hero_roman.jpg
Mmm... Roman Burger!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!