TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom Discussion Thread

p. 201 - Iron Menace announced for 2024!

I know not everyone's as much a fan of Firehawk as I am (or a fan of it at all), but...still surprised so many people here seem to be so attached to the empty grass lot at Dorney.

I actually really like the coaster. I always make my BF ride it when we go to Six Flags America lol

How do you think Kings Island is paying off all those permanent Winterfest fixtures they installed a few months back?

Probably with revenue generated by the people who pay to go to the park and use its services. It's not that complicated...

How do you think Kings Island is paying off all those permanent Winterfest fixtures they installed a few months back?

Probably with revenue generated by the people who pay to go to the park and use its services. It's not that complicated...

If Kings Island's biggest issue is putting on Winterfest, we aren't getting 300 ft. B&M chief. Might as well go tell that discussion group they should settle for Flight Commander 2.

Small trip report: Went to Knoebels with my sister for PPP, on the way home we decided to stop in on the way back to Philly to check out haunt.

We waited about 15 minutes for Talon, and almost immediately decided no coaster here is worth waiting that long for so we ended up just walking through the scare zones (every maze was at least an hour) and checking out Blood Drums (They were awesome, as always.)

The major thing, that will ABSOLUTELY have me back before the end of the season.

Dorney acquired a special liquor license for haunt that allows you to walk around with your beer or cocktail

Couple that with cheap 8 dollar, 16oz, Hijinks brewed beers in front of possessed, and it all adds up to one awesome time drinking good beer and walking around, what essentially becomes, a spooky bar. A+ do recommend, I'm not much for haunt attractions but treating Dorney like a spooky bar is definitely something I can recommend.

Took the family to Haunt on Friday night and had a great time. Couple of notes:

- Blood on the Bayou is the best maze. Good theming, decent length and perfect mix of actors/effects. The snake at the end is perfect and I know why everyone was walking out with smiles and laughing.

- Trick or Treat (In the Dark) is a waste of space. I imagine the flashlight idea was a way of getting another year out of it before a total revamp. They had us enter in a group of 8, which was two groups of three and one couple. We were the middle group of three and didn't receive a flashlight. They give one to the leader and one to the person on the end. The flashlights don't even make a difference. The maze is wayyyyy too short and crowded with annoying witches.

- Urgent Scare has the best prop. Overweight, bed ridden fatty who farts the whole time and includes a nice poop stain. Loved it. My eight year old is still laughing. Also got to give props to the handicapped gentleman at the entry. He's having fun with his deformity and for that I give him a lot of credit. If only more people weren't as uptight as this guy.....

- HiJinx Brewery's Haunted Hops is a great beer. Had two and loved them. Great feeling walking around a park with a can in your hand. Hoppy IPA with nodes of citrus. Port of Call was also a nice addition, my wife and I grabbed a couple Snake Bites there while the kids dance with a pirate character.

Last but not least....Dinosaurs Alive! The exit for Necropolis shares the entrance for Dinos so I brought my youngest down there to wait for my wife and other son to exit the graveyard. I noticed no ropes or anything so we walked a little further.....nothing. We kept going till we were standing beneath a brontosaurus. All the motion sensors are still on and we walked the entire course twice. These lizards still roar and move like its noon on Saturday in July. We grabbed a couple really cool photos of the silhouette of the brontosaurus with the fog and attractions in the background. Walking out of the path we realized that the gift shop was unlocked and still had candy, water and gifts ripe for the taking. A little surprised Dorney didn't take more precautions to rope this up, but it was a unexpected fun trip that will never happen again. Maybe I'm the last customer to walk that path......

All in all a well run event, even with the B-group behind the counters preparing food. Looking forward to the Winterfest after seeing what they are doing at Worlds of Fun.

Took the family to Haunt on Friday night and had a great time. Couple of notes:

- Blood on the Bayou is the best maze. Good theming, decent length and perfect mix of actors/effects. The snake at the end is perfect and I know why everyone was walking out with smiles and laughing.

- Trick or Treat (In the Dark) is a waste of space. I imagine the flashlight idea was a way of getting another year out of it before a total revamp. They had us enter in a group of 8, which was two groups of three and one couple. We were the middle group of three and didn't receive a flashlight. They give one to the leader and one to the person on the end. The flashlights don't even make a difference. The maze is wayyyyy too short and crowded with annoying witches.

- Urgent Scare has the best prop. Overweight, bed ridden fatty who farts the whole time and includes a nice poop stain. Loved it. My eight year old is still laughing. Also got to give props to the handicapped gentleman at the entry. He's having fun with his deformity and for that I give him a lot of credit. If only more people weren't as uptight as this guy.....

- HiJinx Brewery's Haunted Hops is a great beer. Had two and loved them. Great feeling walking around a park with a can in your hand. Hoppy IPA with nodes of citrus. Port of Call was also a nice addition, my wife and I grabbed a couple Snake Bites there while the kids dance with a pirate character.

Last but not least....Dinosaurs Alive! The exit for Necropolis shares the entrance for Dinos so I brought my youngest down there to wait for my wife and other son to exit the graveyard. I noticed no ropes or anything so we walked a little further.....nothing. We kept going till we were standing beneath a brontosaurus. All the motion sensors are still on and we walked the entire course twice. These lizards still roar and move like its noon on Saturday in July. We grabbed a couple really cool photos of the silhouette of the brontosaurus with the fog and attractions in the background. Walking out of the path we realized that the gift shop was unlocked and still had candy, water and gifts ripe for the taking. A little surprised Dorney didn't take more precautions to rope this up, but it was a unexpected fun trip that will never happen again. Maybe I'm the last customer to walk that path......

All in all a well run event, even with the B-group behind the counters preparing food. Looking forward to the Winterfest after seeing what they are doing at Worlds of Fun.

Would you mind sharing the pictures?

Overweight, bed ridden fatty who farts the whole time and includes a nice poop stain. Loved it. My eight year old is still laughing.

Maybe I'm the last customer to walk that path......

Fatty is in Blood on the Bayou. Agree that is one of the best haunted houses.

Dinos is still open until the end of the season. It closes at 5pm every day now. Would be fun to walk through at night. They should turn it into a haunt attraction with the Dinos on. That would be a good one to hand out flashlights.

Fatty is in Blood on the Bayou. Agree that is one of the best haunted houses.

Dinos is still open until the end of the season. It closes at 5pm every day now. Would be fun to walk through at night. They should turn it into a haunt attraction with the Dinos on. That would be a good one to hand out flashlights.

My bad....I guess they all start to run together after a couple haunted house. Also, appreciate the explanation for Dinos and definitely makes a lot more sense. I'll keep it as closed for my kids. They thought they were in an abandoned amusement park and will probably remember that forever. Was a fun experience and we questioned at the time why they wouldn't turn it into a haunt attraction. My guess is liabilities tied to the contract with the Dinos owner but whatever.

I feel like they'll probably cut the path down by the Whip and down in front of Burger Barn so you'll basically have the entire top half of the park and the kids area. It gives them all they really need... a kids area, an indoor heated theater, a ton of flats and a few coasters. One would think they would run the mouse, Talon and Hydra but it's Cedar Fair so I feel like they'll just pick one of the B&M's and roll with it; at which time someone will pop into this thread and explain to us that they need to get a jumpstart on offseason rehab so that Hydra will have two trains ready on opening day so they can each spend the entire month of May running with like 8 people on the ride at a time.

My guess would be the would cut the midway at the restroom and auntie annes, and then the hill that goes down near hydras cobra roll. That would leave them the troika, dodgem, wave swinger, wild mouse, meteor, the train and the carrousel. Plus all of Planet Snoopy. They could push to have the ferris wheel open. If they dont have staffing in the summer for rides, doubt theyll have/want to staff anything past the hills.

at which time someone will pop into this thread and explain to us that they need to get a jumpstart on offseason rehab so that Hydra will have two

trains ready on opening day so they can each spend the entire month of May running with like 8 people on the ride at a time.

JXW7hNi.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I’ll be honest, I still feel like Winterfest is inevitable. It’s just a question of when they pull the trigger. I know Dorney isn’t much for exciting new additions but this is quite different than (say) a new ride and offers much more immediate, measurable returns.

I would expect every park in the chain except for Michigan’s Adventure and Cedar Point to add Winterfest eventually.

I have to be honest. I kind of love that Dorney is trolling those of us who pay this much attention.

It shows that they recognize that enthusiasts are out there looking for any information they can gather. It also doesn't seem mean spirited to me at all.