TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom Discussion Thread

p. 201 - Iron Menace announced for 2024!

Even with all the negative - or at least "meh" - reviews, Hydra is still one of the coasters on my bucket list of coasters I MOST want to ride! I guess I just stubbornly believe it'll be as cool as it's always looked to me since I first saw the concept art! (The truth is, I'm just relentlessly stubborn - period! )

40 minutes for Talon? You poor unfortunate soul. The longest I waited for anything at Dorney was roughly 20 minutes for the rapids on a brutally hot day.

The lines were short that day (although I don't remember waiting 0 trains) but when the waterpark closed they filled up a bit.

Even with all the negative - or at least "meh" - reviews, Hydra is still one of the coasters on my bucket list of coasters I MOST want to ride! I guess I just stubbornly believe it'll be as cool as it's always looked to me since I first saw the concept art! (The truth is, I'm just relentlessly stubborn - period! )

Hydra is by no means a bad ride. It definitely has one of the most unique B&M layouts ever and I can appreciate that, but for some reason there's just nothing memorable about it other than the jojo roll.

Wild Mouse is the only coaster I have seen generate a longer wait but that's due to the ride's putrid capacity. When everything was a walk-on, it still had a 20 minute wait.

The first time I was at Dorney (2005), it was a "busy" Saturday. Hydra was new that year and still only was a 5-10 minute wait. Talon had a 10-15 minute wait. But Steel Force had a whopping 15-20 minute wait.

Don't let those who hate it discourage you.

I LOVED Hydra when we went to Dorney (the 1 time). That slow jojo roll out of the station is wonderful.

Talon, and Possessed are quite good too, and I enjoyed Steel Force, even tho it doesn't do all that much. If I'm recalling, the flume was fun too, even if there were no photos running when we were there, and we enjoyed quite a few of the flats (including the *only* operating Spider/Monster on the trip we were on that time). I also recall really liking the train that went out past the waterpark section.

Did Dorney come in at the bottom of our list of parks this trip? yeah, but that's only because it was competing with: Knoebel's, Hersheypark, Kennywood, and all the History stuff (including the Franklin Institute) in Philly.

but if we had ONLY gone to Dorney? would have still had a great time.

Dorney is good for what it is. You go there and get to ride a few good coasters in Talon, Possessed and Hydra (depending on how its running) with no lines. I like going for Twilight cause you really don't need a full day there unless you'de doing the water park. If you can squeeze it in for a trip great, if not it isn't the end of the world.

I don't think anyone is saying they hate Hydra. I'm certainly not. It's fine, its not a bad coaster, its just dull. And that its one of their major rides only makes that fact more glaring. Personally I hate the jo-jo roll, to me its a novelty and doesn't do anything but send all the blood to your head and your change to the ground below. The rest of the layout *looks* really cool and is very unique for a B&M. But then you ride it and its just generally forceless and mostly meandering.

I don't think anyone is saying they hate Hydra. I'm certainly not. It's fine, its not a bad coaster, its just dull. And that its one of their major rides only makes that fact more glaring. Personally I hate the jo-jo roll, to me its a novelty and doesn't do anything but send all the blood to your head and your change to the ground below. The rest of the layout *looks* really cool and is very unique for a B&M. But then you ride it and its just generally forceless and mostly meandering.

I agree with you about Hydra. That being said, I think Talon is a bit underrated (always enjoyed that ride).

^ Exactly. It's very rerideable. In fact at C4Ks I rode it 8 times in a row and had no issues at all (tho my bro-in-law puked after 3 laps, he was hungover). Not sure I could do that on a Batman clone - once is usually enough for me. They did make us stand up and change seats after each ride during that marathon.

I also really appreciate the layout - the elements have a great flow to them, but are not too intense. I love the drop into the second half, and the low-to-the-ground ending is perfection. In the front row you get a little pop of air into the brakes. Best seat on the ride is front right side.

I could never marathon Batman; I can't even do twice in a row on one. Talon on the other hand, I could ride all day if the park didn't have that silly policy of having to get off for re-rides.

And that drop into the second half is my favourite part of the ride. It gets me every time.

I remember going to Great Adventure last summer early in the season when it was a chilly day and I was able to ride Batman 4 times in a row without even changing seats. It's too bad Dorney Park makes you get out of your seat even when nobody is waiting for your row.

I absolutely love Dorney'. Hydra, Talon, Steel Force... very re-rideable and favorites of mine. As a Cedar Platinum Pass member with my hometown park being Cedar Fair... I take 2 trips to Dorney a year and very happy with it.

I absolutely love Dorney'. Hydra, Talon, Steel Force... very re-rideable and favorites of mine. As a Cedar Platinum Pass member with my hometown park being Cedar Fair... I take 2 trips to Dorney a year and very happy with it.

Went to Dorney yesterday for the first time and had a great time. Parking lot was half full and most rides were a walk on. Was a bit frustrating that Demon Drop and Possessed were down but that's the way it goes sometimes.

Really enjoyed Steel Force out of all the coasters. Definitely reridable. Back seat was amazing.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Apparently this is the concept art for the new cafe in the water park. If this is really it, I have absolutely no idea where it will be because space is limited. The only place I could honestly think of is next to the wave pool on the grass area.

Newsplusnotes did say Tidal Wave Cafe will be replacing Mariners Munchies and the Rita's. Here's the article if you want to read about it http://dlvr.it/PfbfBD

Without fastlane you might have to wait a whopping two trains to go out before you get on Hydra

The funny thing is that while you're joking you're still overestimating the wait times by a full 2 trains. I've been going to Dorney since I was a kid (mostly on weekends) and have never seen a 2 train wait for Hydra in my life.

When I was there (and this was on a Thursday), I actually waited in a 2-train wait for Hydra. The line was down the stairs and into the first switchback just like the photo a couple of pages ago.

^ If you think Steel Force was amazing in the back, wait till you ride in the front.
Front was great as well but I thought the back was best for me personally. Front seemed slower over the hills and less air time.

Wish there were more Morgan hyper coasters around.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...