Canada's Wonderland Discussion Thread

P. 969 - Yukon Striker Announced! B&M Dive Machine
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 10 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Macaroni and Donkey

Re: Canada's Wonderland Discussion Thread

Postby Doppel Looping » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:09 am

Some yukon construction pics.

They have a big yellow crane getting ready and a lift hill segment being put together.
IMG_4526.JPG
IMG_4527.JPG
IMG_4528.JPG
IMG_4531.JPG
IMG_4533.JPG
IMG_4534.JPG

Full Fledged Donkey Enthusiast!

Postby Prof Kaos » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:30 am

About Leviathan's supposed wheel-heaters though, as much as it's an exciting prospect, I don't think it's necessarily related to Winterfest. I mean, it doesn't start until November 2019, so this seems a little early to draw that connection.
1 - Banshee 2 - Behemoth 3 - Mystic Timbers
4 - Vampire 5 - Leviathan 6 - Goliath (La Ronde)
7 - Diamondback 8 - Vortex (CW)
9 - The Beast 10 - Flight of Fear

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby PATTYCAKES » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:27 am

Couldn't they have installed the wheel heaters this year to test Leviathan during the winter this year?

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby prozach626 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:04 pm

Sledgehammer_77 wrote:They should really consider putting in a sizable parking garage. Especially now that we know the hotel won't take up any space on the lot, it almost seems destined to happen. A 3+ storey garage in the north east corner would do wonders for potentially expanding the south side of the lot by Behemoth/Kingswood.

Yeah, but according to a quick google search, that would probably cost between 8-10 million (US $) with presumably little return on investment. It's probably a lot cheaper to just have less customers during the few days a year the parking lot may completely fill up.

token black guy

Postby jarmor » Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:43 pm

Guess it all depends on how valuable they consider the land that would be freed up and what they can put on it.
"B&M will NEVER build a coaster over 300 ft..." until 2012
"Cedar Fair will NEVER build a coaster taller than MF..." until 2015

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby Scott84 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:45 pm

Sledgehammer_77 wrote:They should really consider putting in a sizable parking garage. Especially now that we know the hotel won't take up any space on the lot, it almost seems destined to happen. A 3+ storey garage in the north east corner would do wonders for potentially expanding the south side of the lot by Behemoth/Kingswood.

It would make more sense just to build a parking garage at the hotel site which isn't near the main parking area. This parking garage would be reserved for hotel guests only obviously.

Full Fledged Donkey Enthusiast!

Postby CoasterInk » Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:56 pm

I wouldn't want a parking garage... it ruins the views. Not only that, but I find parks are unbearably busy when the parking lot is full. Allowing more people into the park would, yeah, increase the amount of moolah you're making, but you're sacrificing guest satisfaction in my opinion, by making it even more packed.

Am I looking at this from the right angle?

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby prozach626 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:56 pm

I get what you're saying. My parking garage experiences are leaving sports venues when everyone is leaving at the same time, similar to theme parks. The difference is that those garages connect directly to high volume thoroughfares instead of slow moving themepark parking lots. I'm sure it's been 'fully' considered before and determined it wasn't a good idea or I would guess we would see more parking garages.

token black guy

Postby jarmor » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:00 pm

^ I think the reason we don't see them at our local parks is because there isn't a need for them right now. I see a lot of cities building more parking garages and developing the flat lots for profit purposes. In my city alone, I know of at least 4 large garages that have popped up over the course of several years.
CoasterInk wrote:I wouldn't want a parking garage... it ruins the views. Not only that, but I find parks are unbearably busy when the parking lot is full. Allowing more people into the park would, yeah, increase the amount of moolah you're making, but you're sacrificing guest satisfaction in my opinion, by making it even more packed.

Am I looking at this from the right angle?

Depends on who you ask. I wouldn't go as far as to say a parking garage ruins the view. The view of what? I would also think if the point of the garage is to free real estate then they would use said real estate for an expansion or some amenities that will even out the crowd. While only the large parks like the Disney's and Universals have parking garages I could see a larger parks like CW being successful with one and using the freed space for a shopping district, more hotels or par expansion.
"B&M will NEVER build a coaster over 300 ft..." until 2012
"Cedar Fair will NEVER build a coaster taller than MF..." until 2015

What's with the donkeys anyway?

Postby TurnOfTheCentury » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:21 am

Does anybody know (or have a theory) why B&M is now building those long, downwardly inclined brake runs on the drop coasters (and maybe others)? I thought Valravyn's odd brake run was a functioning of needing to have the brake run unusually high to allow for the marina entrance, but I see they are doing the same thing on Yukon Striker.

Just seems really inefficient to have a whole series of friction brakes gradually slowing the train as it slides down the run?

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!