TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Canada's Wonderland Discussion Thread

Does anybody know (or have a theory) why B&M is now building those long, downwardly inclined brake runs on the drop coasters (and maybe others)? I thought Valravyn's odd brake run was a functioning of needing to have the brake run unusually high to allow for the marina entrance, but I see they are doing the same thing on Yukon Striker.

Just seems really inefficient to have a whole series of friction brakes gradually slowing the train as it slides down the run?

Does anybody know (or have a theory) why B&M is now building those long, downwardly inclined brake runs on the drop coasters (and maybe others)?

I wouldn't say now. They have been doing this since at least 2010 . . .

sorry, right, I first noticed with Leviathan, but perhaps it was earlier. Question remains.

Depends on who you ask. I wouldn't go as far as to say a parking garage ruins the view. The view of what? I would also think if the point of the garage is to free real estate then they would use said real estate for an expansion or some amenities that will even out the crowd. While only the large parks like the Disney's and Universals have parking garages I could see a larger parks like CW being successful with one and using the freed space for a shopping district, more hotels or par expansion.

Oooooohhhhhh. I though we were talking about making the entire parking lot multiple stories, which really wasn't clicking with me .

Also, I presume those downward sloped brake runs are to not have to worry about drive tires coming in contact with a fast moving train on a flat surface. With a sloped brake run, the train can come in, slow down, and then come into the drive tires at a controlled speed.

Does anybody know (or have a theory) why B&M is now building those long, downwardly inclined brake runs on the drop coasters (and maybe others)? I thought Valravyn's odd brake run was a functioning of needing to have the brake run unusually high to allow for the marina entrance, but I see they are doing the same thing on Yukon Striker.

Just seems really inefficient to have a whole series of friction brakes gradually slowing the train as it slides down the run?

It seems to me that it's a way to have multiple blocks without using drive-wheels to bring the train to a stop or to move the train. Plus one would think that the friction brakes are probably cheaper than magnetic brakes or drive wheels.

It seems to me that it's a way to have multiple blocks without using drive-wheels to bring the train to a stop or to move the train. Plus one would think that the friction brakes are probably cheaper than magnetic brakes or drive wheels.

I would have thought drive wheels would be cheaper? And zero maintenance or moving parts on magnetic brakes.

Pure speculation:

The train in the waiting brakes is generally on a flat surface and brought in with drive wheels (because it’s also a transfer track) which is probably the fastest way to move it into the station and park it. It doesn’t really matter if a train that’s parked on the slope takes awhile to get to the waiting brake since it’ll be there long before that block is clear and since gravity is free and there are likely less moving parts this way it makes sense to me.

Pure speculation:

The train in the waiting brakes is generally on a flat surface and brought in with drive wheels (because it’s also a transfer track) which is probably the fastest way to move it into the station and park it. It doesn’t really matter if a train that’s parked on the slope takes awhile to get to the waiting brake since it’ll be there long before that block is clear and since gravity is free and there are likely less moving parts this way it makes sense to me.

This would be my guess as well. The fewer unnecessary mechanical components, the better. Drive tires can get stuck, flat, or need to be repaired and can/do cause downtime.

Anyone have any pictures of the progress yet?

yes:

so they have most of the lift hill up. Looking at the pictures, it goes a bit higher before leveling off, turning a corner and dropping.

IMG_4545.thumb.jpg.c27c536891a02444026f56e9839a1915.jpg

IMG_4550.thumb.jpg.f128e75eb8ec9a142db4999d8f1581c2.jpg

As it comes together, we realize, it is going to be huge and take over the back of the park. The first photo is from the other side of vortex. It will sprawl over lake vortex, into the trees and back for the final bunny hill and helix over the Splashworks pathway after it's MCBR. I think it will give a nice adrenaline rush before hitting the final brakes and i like how it shouts out to it's retired cousin skyrider with the loop and final 90 degree banked helix. Maybe a nice lateral klunk for old times sake? (hope not)

IMG_4549.thumb.jpg.6fedc7562871b317b78a66d110c5abee.jpg

It can easily be seen from Behemoth's stairs. It should be a similar height to Windseeker. (if i were keen i could look it up, but i am sure someone on the internet will correct me). I am not a big fan of heights, and tend to get a bit freaked out when the bungee ride passes us on the way up. i can only imagine having the drop coaster go by will only add to this.

IMG_4547.thumb.jpg.6c21b2ad3098e12a4ec8056da21c536f.jpg

It can also be seen from Leviathan's station. You can see it towering beside Wonder Mountain. This will definitely change the look of the whole park. It is going to be awesome.

Anyone have any pictures of the progress yet?

yes:

so they have most of the lift hill up. Looking at the pictures, it goes a bit higher before leveling off, turning a corner and dropping.

[attachment=0]IMG_4545.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=3]IMG_4550.jpg[/attachment]

As it comes together, we realize, it is going to be huge and take over the back of the park. The first photo is from the other side of vortex. It will sprawl over lake vortex, into the trees and back for the final bunny hill and helix over the Splashworks pathway after it's MCBR. I think it will give a nice adrenaline rush before hitting the final brakes and i like how it shouts out to it's retired cousin skyrider with the loop and final 90 degree banked helix. Maybe a nice lateral klunk for old times sake? (hope not)

[attachment=2]IMG_4549.jpg[/attachment]

It can easily be seen from Behemoth's stairs. It should be a similar height to Windseeker. (if i were keen i could look it up, but i am sure someone on the internet will correct me). I am not a big fan of heights, and tend to get a bit freaked out when the bungee ride passes us on the way up. i can only imagine having the drop coaster go by will only add to this.

[attachment=1]IMG_4547.jpg[/attachment]

It can also be seen from Leviathan's station. You can see it towering beside Wonder Mountain. This will definitely change the look of the whole park. It is going to be awesome.

I'm not nit-picking. Just a friendly assist. Yukon Striker will be 232ft, above water level, plus another 13ft deeper into the tunnel, for a total of 245ft. Windseeker is 301ft, Behemoth and Drop Tower are 230ft, and Leviathan is 320ft. Yokon Striker will be the 5th ride/coaster over 200 feet at Canada's Wonderland! . .pretty awesome.

I'm not nit-picking. Just a friendly assist. Yukon Striker will be 232ft, above water level, plus another 13ft deeper into the tunnel, for a total of 245ft. Windseeker is 301ft, Behemoth and Drop Tower are 230ft, and Leviathan is 320ft. Yokon Striker will be the 5th ride/coaster over 200 feet at Canada's Wonderland! . .pretty awesome.

Just a friendly assist - if you're going to correct someone on various heights of rides, at least get the park's tallest coaster's height correct. Leviathan is 306'.

While we're on the subject: anyone know how high Windseeker swings? I know 301ft is thrown around but that is obviously the height of the tower; I bet it only swings at 260-270 feet, if that.

In the category of not being very helpful...

When they declare the official height of a rollercoaster, is the convention from the base of the lift hill to the top of the highest piece of track?

If the yukon striker station is further up the embankment of lake vortex than windseeker?.... ahh nevermind.

I'm not nit-picking here either, but I've seen several sources (and RCDB) claim the official height of Yukon Striker is 223 feet. You'll have to dive more than 13 feet to ensure the track, train and people can clear it. This height also makes sense with the Valravn crew lately that mentions that they'll still tie the height record next year but lose the drop, speed and length record.

And, as stated, Leviathan is 305 feet.

But still quite the skyline coming together there. A Dive Coaster on the skyline looks great anywhere and it's nice Canada's Wonderland is getting one with an awesome underwater drop! That'll be what helps make this ride one of the best IMO!

I am starting to get a bit concerned about the placement of Yukon Striker. It is soooo quiet around that area right now. I get it, with the construction going on, but when the water park is closed, the only use for the path that goes from Minebuster over to Timberwolf Falls is going to be for Yukon Striker. Even when SkyRider was still there, that path is pretty much unused when Splash Works is not open, and when Timberwolf Falls and White Water Canyon are closed too, that part of the park is actually very dead. I think they really need to add a few more flat rides back there. Just adding more shops is not going to increase traffic by that much. That path will be used mainly for Yukon Striker riders when the water park is not open. I'm just not sure if people heading to Yukon Striker will be stopping at any new shops. The new shop near White Water Canyon was empty every time I went in there.