TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Canada's Wonderland Discussion Thread

Brandon, if they're removing all of those trees on the side of the pathway do you think there is a possibility for the coaster going through there? Especially considering the que line has been realigned. If it is getting this large then I could see it going all the way. It maybe there last "mega coaster" and their largest to date.

I think it's becoming very possible but remember I have no idea what this is. Did you notice the digging next tot he tent theatre? The construction site continues to grow.

Brandon, if they're removing all of those trees on the side of the pathway do you think there is a possibility for the coaster going through there? Especially considering the que line has been realigned. If it is getting this large then I could see it going all the way. It maybe there last "mega coaster" and their largest to date.

They might just want to widen the pathway upto splashworks. It's possible that with this new addition, the pathway to splashworks past minebuster will be lost.

UPDATE:

They are working late at night now on the tunnel and have large lights to work at night,

The tunnel walls are done and the foundation is being done along witht he tunnel footers,

A crone is on site and ready to lift track into the tunnel,

I would assume track will be installed on Monday.

UPDATE:...

A crone is on site and ready to lift track into the tunnel,

I would assume track will be installed on Monday.

I'm sitting here and imagining an old lady lifting the track and just giggling to myself.

Thanks for the update!

Massive Update from today with zoomed in pictures and analysis!

I made it through 17 seconds, until I saw that the video was over 50 minutes long.

Gotta get that AdSense

The video was also a massive fail lol Wonderland hacked my audio and destroyed it

Tunnel has lights installed, electrical and the roof is stored off to the side. The Splash Works expansion has started called "lakeside lagoon" and Vortex is getting a re theme.

I noticed that Grace Peacock, the Director of Communications for Canada's Wonderland had hinted on Twitter that "...somebody's getting a makeover for 2018". In the photo it looks like Vortex's cars getting a makeover. It would be nice for Vortex's trains to receive their original colours which they had back when it opened in 1991, as that would be amazing. We'll just have to wait and see what's in store as time progresses.

Vortex in 1991 (It's opening year):

Photo credit: www.loopyguy.com

Tunnel has lights installed, electrical and the roof is stored off to the side. The Splash Works expansion has started called "lakeside lagoon" and Vortex is getting a re theme.

I noticed that Grace Peacock, the Director of Communications for Canada's Wonderland had hinted on Twitter that "...somebody's getting a makeover for 2018". In the photo it looks like Vortex's cars getting a makeover. It would be nice for Vortex's trains to receive their original colours which they had back when it opened in 1991, as that would be amazing. We'll just have to wait and see what's in store as time progresses.

It's getting a Timber theme

I have mixed feelings about this.

At first it'd be weird calling it anything but Vortex, and the logo invokes the 90'd like crazy. Why change something that's not broke, right?

On the other hand there are many coasters around the world with the same name, and at least one other with the exact same logo. This would be a great way to set it apart from the rest, have more of an original name and integrate it with the other Canadian themed rides in the area. Might as well completely re-do the paint scheme as well if the name is going to change.

Potentially something alpine themed? Abominal Snowman? Avalanche? Logger's Run? Polar Vortex?

I'm just hoping that if the name does change, it's not something generic like Racer75 or Drop Tower Stunt Zone.

This would be a great way to set it apart from the rest, have more of an original name and integrate it with the other Canadian themed rides in the area.

These "Canadian themes" are so cheesy and are more of a comic book Canadian identity as seen by people who have never been here themselves. Mounties and lumberjacks: when was the last time anyone from Toronto saw either one?. Kinda borderline insulting (literally).

Actual Canadian identity might not translate well though.

- Universal health care might be an unsettling theme for a ride.

- Justin's Weed superstore.

- Anything Tragically Hip maybe tragic in a coaster name bad idea.

- Can't explain who we are, but we are NOT Americans!

- i'm sorry: the ride

- Leafs suck. we know but ya gotta believe?

Though this in itself is classic Canadian identity: complain they don't pay any attention to us/ complain when they do.

This is making a terrible name like Ziz look good though!

So long as Kings Island restores the robot hand logo for their Vortex, I'd be okay with whatever Canada's Wonderland does with the new name and logo for theirs.

The only way I would care if Kings Island restored the robot hand logo for their Vortex would be if they literally built a giant robot hand that they could use to tear the piece of sh*t to the ground and replace it with something more worthwhile like a new coaster, a beer garden or a petting zoo... actually pretty much anything.

Vortex at kings island is the so bad it's good coaster.

It is the ultimate in go for it make something huge, but don't plan very well. It is the un terrain coaster. Where the terrain is low, the track is up high on supports and where it is low the ground is raised. Standard off the shelf arrow loops placed on 50 foot stilts. It is all about being huge and making grand gestures without the self awareness that the gestures are making you look like a dork. 1970s Prog rock! The robot hand looks like it could be from an Emerson Lake and Palmer or Styx album cover.

And it is a damning indictment of the design a rollercoaster with coathangers, engineer elements separately and don't worry too much about transitions. It is fun to sit in the back row and watch all the heads in front of you snap back and forth as you go through one of the signature transitions. you can watch the wave of head snaps progress down the train, and then hopefully brace yourself as it reaches you. At least before they tear it down, someone get a back row pov of the headsnaps, it is hillarious.

Maybe they could redo the robot hand to be trying to pull someones neck off!

Vortex at CW on the other hand is in my opinion one of the best arrow suspended coasters. It uses terrain of the mountain and lake well, and has great sweeping curves and helixes. Coming into the final brake run sideways and swinging back and forth as you try to figure out what just happened is an awesome finish to a family friendly but really fun coaster.

It's getting a Timber theme

How do you know this? Please provide proof.

When i was a kid I remember going on the bleamer enzian.

I did some digging around to see if i could find some images and noticed it looks alot like ThunderRun.

Was this the same ride?

Yes, Blauer Enzian (pictured above) is the same ride as Thunder Run. Blauer Enzian had operated where The Fly is today from 1981-1985. For the 1986 season, it was relocated to Wonder Mountain. During this process, the track was extended to create Thunder Run, which has been operating since 1986.