TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Canada's Wonderland Discussion Thread

2017 Haunt looks like its shaping out to be pretty awesome!

The 2017 Haunt looks awesome with:

Code Red

Club Blood

Bloodshed

SciFi House

Cornstalkers

Spirit Manor

Ruins

Blackout NEW

Forest of Fear NEW

The Plague

Bloody Buccanneers NEW

Trick or Treat

Ghostly Pines

Carnevil

Which means no more Louisiana Scream and Streets of The Undead. Apparently Forest of Fear is replacing streets of the undead in Kingswood area while Blackout replaces Louisiana Scream in the Mountain.

Besides those three new attractions, I have also heard rumours of a Code Red retheme also which will be cool.

All together it looks like Haunt will be awesome this year! What do we think?

^^ Interesting. Playland(PNE) has just announced their Fright Night, with a "brand new haunt house"...

Don’t come alone

It’s our favourite time of fear. Experience the freaky, terrifying and much less cheerful doppelganger of Playland, Fright Nights, select nights October 6 through 31.

Now featuring 8 haunted houses (including our additional, new house: The Bloodshed), 20 rides

(5 more than last year), and live performances.

Bring your friends to protect you, and a change of pants… just in case.

Huh. Seems to be a popular use of a word, thanks Mystic Timbers.

MysticTimbers01.jpg.b4fc67fcda63b637db6f9026e5481189.jpg

Boo.

So with the crazy heat we're expecting tomorrow, any thoughts on how full the park should be?

I have a very strong feeling that Canada's Wonderland will be very busy tomorrow due to the fact that it is the second weekend for the Oktoberfest event and the temperatures are well above seasonal.

• 2 weeks later...

What up!? My friends Dan, Peter, and I hit up Canada’s Wonderland over the weekend and it was a super fun time! It our first time at the park and man did the park deliver! We arrived at the front gate right around 9:45 and saw Leviathan testing with water dummies. It was pretty cold and windy out but man, that thing was still flying over the tops of the hills. We had bought fast lanes online but were told we could only use them either during the day or during Haunt. For those of you who don’t know, Canada’s Wonderland actually closes the park at 5 and reopens at 7 for their haunt event. We figured the park would be much more crowded for Haunt then during the day so we saved our fast lanes for later.

We made our way inside the park and lined up for the rope drop. First we took a ride on Wonder Mountain's Guardian Galaxy Zombie Shooter since that line moves pretty slow. We made it inside the mountain and after just a few trains were sent, the ride broke down. Sweet! Our day was already off to a good start.  It turns out a screen on the ride had stopped working so a maintenance worker quickly ran through the mountain to fix it. After a short delay, the ride was operational again with all screens working. We should have bought him some Tim Hortons because he practically ran into the mountain to fix the screen. Moving on, the ride itself was pretty mediocre and isn’t nearly as good as the Justice League Clones. That surprise

Next up, we took a ride on the park's powered coaster, Thunder Run! We waited about 15 minutes and hopped on in the best seats we could, The middle of the train! The ejector airtime was out of this world! Jk, this ride has no airtime to speak of but it was definitely more enjoyable than I was anticipating. Spiraling around through Toronto’s only mountain was surprisingly fun, at least I thought so.

After our lovely ride on the powered coaster, it was time for The Bat. The line looked pretty long so we all hopped into the single rider line and were on the ride within 2 or 3 cycles. We rode The Bat purely for the credit because my buddy Dan wanted the next ride to be his 300th coaster credit, Leviathan! 

But before Dan was allowed his 300th credit, we desperately need to drain our bladders. We asked a worker where the closest bathroom was and were told it was by the games stand with the giant gorillas. But we could not find any giant gorillas so we asked a second worker. This employee told us it was by the games stand with the giant Pokemon. This was the hint we needed. #problemsolved So if you’re trying to find the bathroom by Leviathan, whip out Pokemon Go and you should be able to find it really quick!!

We finally made our way in line for Leviathan where the q-line was about half full. We figured it would only take 20 minutes max since it was a high capacity B&M but we encountered a hefty amount of double stacking and the line took a little over 30 minutes instead. The crew here definitely was not as fast as the Fury 325 crew. There were probably 6 to 8 employees up on the platform but they still managed to double stack almost every cycle. Having run El Toro for years and being a throughput addict, it had me shaking my head. Anyways, the ride itself reminded me a lot Fury 325. The drop was amazing and I really loved the speed hill after the first overbank and the massive camelback had some killer airtime! I definitely prefer Fury but Leviathan is a top-notch ride as well! It’s easily the best ride in Canada!

Next, we made our way over to Dragon Mountain and took a spin in the last car of the train. Fun Fact, this is the only Arrow looper with corkscrews that flip counter clockwise rather than clockwise. Overall, I've been on better Arrow loopers but nerding out about the corkscrews was fun.

After Dragon Mountain, we made our way over to Wild Beast and were prepared for PAIN. Our friend Logan who had ridden it years ago gave the ride a 0/10 because it was too rough. Keep in mind that Logan oddly loved Son of Beast and said it wasn't rough at all. So, we were a little nervous going in but it honestly wasn't bad. The only sections I found rough was the turnaround near the station and the last turnaround. It's not as good as its companion Grizzly at Kings Dominion but it wasn't bad. Had a few good pops of airtime and the first turnaround is just as slow as Grizzly’s.

Next up was Vortex where we encountered a full q-line. Now is it just me or are the q-lines at Canada's Wonderland really small? Like compared to the massive seas of switchbacks at Kings Island or Cedar Point, most of the q-lines at Canada's Wonderland are tiny. This was very odd to me considering Canada's Wonderland see's more visitors a year than Kings Island or Cedar Point. Even with the q-line being full, it was only a 20 minute wait thanks to its size and good dispatch times. The ride itself was awesome and packed a punch! Even though its layout is identical to The Bat at Kings Island, I liked Vortex a lot more.

After riding most of the credits on the right side of the park, we made our way over to the left side of the park and started with the Mighty Canadian Mine Buster. We rode in the back car and overall, the ride was pretty decent. It didn’t have a lot of airtime but there were a few pops. We all loved the ending helix and thought the ride was pretty smooth!

Now it was time for Behemoth. The first switchback was filled but the line was moving decently quick here. The crew wasn’t double stacking like they were at Leviathan. We took a ride in car 8 and I think I have a new favorite B&M hyper! Diamondback was previously my favorite B&M hyper but I had always found the section after the MCBR much weaker than the first half. Well with Behemoth, I loved the section after the MCBR! The helix coming off the MCBR actually had some nice positive G’s towards the bottom and the airtime hills following were superb!

After Behemoth, we took a look at Backlot’s line and it was nearly a full q-line, so we decided we would ride later during Haunt with our fast lanes. We still needed to ride the best two rides in the park, Flight Deck and Time Warp. We decided to start with the better of the two, Time Warp. I just don’t understand why a major park that sees 3.7 million visitors a year has this ride. Does anyone know more? It’s pretty funny seeing it here. After a pretty shitty ride on Time Warp, we took a spin on Flight Deck to polish off our day time rides. We all know what’s good with SLC’s, moving on.

By now it was about 4:30 and we hadn’t eaten yet. We had a bunch of food and beers waiting for us in the car so we figured we should hit the parking lot early and be ready for the park to reopen at 7. On the way out, we decided to grab our Fast Lanes where the worker told us we could have used our fast lanes all day. We were so confused because each one of us had called the park prior to our visit to ask what the deal was with Fast Lane and each time, we were told we could only use Fast Lane either during the day or haunt, but not both. We were slightly bummed but the beers we drank in the parking lot changed that.

Peter and Dan went straight to the car to start drinking but I strolled around Leviathan until the park closed capturing some off-ride footage. I have the video linked below.

After filming, I joined them in the car where we chugged down several craft beers and ate some cheap food. We drank beer after beer until 6:30 and by then, we were really feeling ourselves. We stumbled over to the front gate and made our way inside. Earlier in the day, our group had focus! We knew what order we wanted to ride the rides in and were very strategic. But now that we were drunk, things were different. We did accomplish some of our goals though. We started off with The Fly because we were missing the Wonderland wild mouse credit. After this, my memory of things is pretty clouded. I know we rode Backlot at some point. In fact, Dan and Peter completely forgot we rode it. I know we rode Behemoth right after Backlot and going up the lift hill, Peter turned to me and asked if we had ridden Backlot. I kid you not, we had just ridden Backlot 5 minutes before he asked me and it was hysterical. Being drunk, we were having a Behemoth fever and rode about 5 or 6 times in a row. We also took about 3 more rides on Vortex and another 5 on Leviathan. Surprisingly the park was not crowded at all and was actually more crowded during the daytime. If we weren’t drunk, we probably would have been mad that we hadn’t used our Fast Lanes earlier, but we didn’t really care.

At some point, me and Peter went to do a few terror trails while Dan continued riding Leviathan. We made our way back over to Cornstalkers to find a pretty long line. We were still pretty buzzed and started trolling all the workers and scare actors. We asked several workers what the park WiFi password was (Wonderland has free WiFi), where we could buy some corn, and asking where the Tim Hortons was. At the end of the trail, we passed the entrance attendant and jokingly complained that we never found the Tim Hortons we were told was on the trial. We made that attendant laugh so hard, fun times. Next we continued trolling over at the Sci-Fi House under Leviathan.

After our trolling session, we took several more rides on Leviathan. Around 11:30, we were in line for the front row and a train got stopped at the bottom of the lift hill. I’m not sure if it was a mechanical delay or if the train was lift stopped due to a rider with a phone. The operators were acting as if the ride had gone down mechanically but security showed up as well. The train was restarted and security talked to one of the rider’s on that train afterwards. Anyway, my friend Dan dropped his water bottle as we were boarding the train and it fell below the station track but on top of some metal. The attendants were nice enough to get an extremely long picker and were able to get Dan’s water bottle out for him. This was the first of many nice things that would happen to us. After our amazing ride in the front row, we ran down the exit to try and get in line one last time. It was around 11:55 at this point. However, we found the entrance had already been closed and we talked briefly with the entrance attendant. He felt bad since we had come from New Jersey and to our luck, a supervisor came down and said we could go up the exit and get on the last train of the night! He saw us waiting during the brief delay the ride had earlier and said it was fine. Before we went up the exit, he also asked if we had ridden Zombies 4D yet. Zombies 4D is the Haunt edition of Wonder Mountain’s Guardians. We told him we had ridden Wonder Mountain Guardian’s earlier in the day but not the Zombies version of it. Next thing you know, he called the ride and asked if they were still cycling trains. He hung up the phone and said we were good to go up the exit of Zombies after Leviathan! We were astonished at how nice he was! It was like VIP treatment! I forgot to get his name but I just want to give a shout out to that supervisor! Seriously an awesome dude! Having worked at Great Adventure for years and having been to several other parks in the United States, no employees usually care if you walk up to a closed ride at the end of the night. They are typically happy to turn you away but not at Canada’s Wonderland!

We went up Leviathan’s exit and got on the last train of the night in the back row! Next we booked it over to Zombies 4D, ran up the exit, and also got on the last train of the night! The Zombies version is much better than the normal version played on Wonder Mountain’s Guardian.

That concluded our night and we began heading out of the park. At this point, I realized in our drunken madness that we had forgotten to ride basically all the flats we had wanted to before. Luckily, we had rode SkyHawk at some point during the night and it was seriously fun. The cycle was a little short but flipping in the air was awesome! I got 11 flips in a row!

Overall, we had an amazing day at Canada’s Wonderland and I seriously cannot thank that supervisor enough! That was some of the best hospitality I have ever gotten at a park! We will definitely be returning to Canada’s Wonderland as often as we can! (Especially since we missed almost all of the amazing flat rides the park has to offer.)

Edited by El Toro_Ryan

After filming, I joined them in the car where we chugged down several craft beers and ate some cheap food. We drank beer after beer until 6:30 and by then, we were really feeling ourselves. We stumbled over to the front gate and made our way inside. Earlier in the day, our group had focus! We knew what order we wanted to ride the rides in and were very strategic. But now that we were drunk, things were different. We did accomplish some of our goals though. We started off with The Fly because we were missing the Wonderland wild mouse credit. After this, my memory of things is pretty clouded. I know we rode Backlot at some point. In fact, Dan and Peter completely forgot we rode it. I know we rode Behemoth right after Backlot and going up the lift hill, Peter turned to me and asked if we had ridden Backlot. I kid you not, we had just ridden Backlot 5 minutes before he asked me and it was hysterical. Being drunk, we were having a Behemoth fever and rode about 5 or 6 times in a row. We also took about 3 more rides on Vortex and another 5 on Leviathan. Surprisingly the park was not crowded at all and was actually

Now THIS is the kind of trip report I can get behind.

Glad you had fun, and that's awesome about the Zombies thing. I f*cking love Canadians, they're so over-the-top friendly it's actually kind of insane.

Glad you had fun, and that's awesome about the Zombies thing. I f*cking love Canadians, they're so over-the-top friendly it's actually kind of insane.

I had a feeling you would appreciate that trip report

Yeah everyone their was so friendly, I was shocked when they said we could ride two closed rides. Usually when a park is closing, the staff's mentality is for everyone to get the f*ck out, mine included.

Ryan, the next time you come to Wonderland, be sure to check the name of our arrow coaster. It used to be called Dragon Fyre, It is now Dragon Fire. There is a coaster at Marineland, in Niagara Falls, called Dragon Mountain. Just some friendly info for ya . .xx

Glad you had a nice time in Canada.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not sure if this is a typo and they meant to say Kings Dominion, but a Cleveland.com article / interview with CEO Richard Zimmerman and outgoing CEO Matt Ouimet (which contains a few other tidbits like a boardwalk expansion at Cedar Point) states that Winterfest is coming to Canada's Wonderland soon.

Another Ouimet initiative: WinterFest, the holiday-themed festival, with rides and entertainment, which debuted last year at California's Great America. This year, WinterFest will expand to three more parks, including Kings Island near Cincinnati.

And next year, look for it at Canada's Wonderland in Ontario.

What about Cedar Point? "That's the big debate," said Zimmerman. "We're trying to figure out exactly how that would work."

Link

... interesting

I had a feeling you would appreciate that trip report

Yeah everyone their was so friendly, I was shocked when they said we could ride two closed rides. Usually when a park is closing, the staff's mentality is for everyone to get the f*ck out, mine included.

Yeah, chalk me up as one that appreciated the report too...CW is much more fun when you're buzzed.

^ Winterfest at Wonderland is a great idea because they don't usually get the lake effect snow that Sandusky can get. I could see more reluctance there versus CW, but it certainly sounded like they were exploring all options to see if they can make it work somehow.

Construction Update in the Skyrider plot of land. A few things we know is this isn't linked tot he 2018 additions as they're going to be located near Vortex and Soaring Timbers. These photos are property of Matt (@CasterCircuits) on Twitter! He makes a ton of amazing Youtube videos as well! [twitter][/twitter]

DMri0ZyUIAEZQmJ.thumb.jpg.ca8bcd41c9ddbc1f3419ecc77cecf5b2.jpg

The wood fencing along the path has been removed. Photo Property of

DMri2yEUQAALkRV.thumb.jpg.98d225b8c8e97947dc2961cdfac56362.jpg

steaks are all over from Skyrider's plot of land to beside Timberwolf Falls plot of land and beside Windseeker! Photo property of

DMrl6mgVQAAbglm.thumb.jpg.6d0f5523d0c1553c9aa332a54b8648de.jpg

Steak beside Timberwolf Falls path. Photo property of

DMs8BQVVoAAj07h.thumb.jpg.31d4a80d0a33684848a10e5f339e5da3.jpg

Steak near Windseeker and the hill for Fireworks. Photo property of

DMs70EKVQAIfUqi.thumb.jpg.d9f5840a8f10d6b7c0a86ffa46b6e8c4.jpg

Skyrides plot of land with signs of construction. Photo property of

DMs76vWVwAIvvS2.thumb.jpg.a43435a7067c3fa1e7b704e53398c5e9.jpg

Plot of land next to Windseeker. Photo property of

DMwCZbrUIAAhhW9.thumb.jpg.5c07257d72b721cd17a57355092c733b.jpg

While you're at it, tear down Minebuster too please ;) Photo property of

DMyJh-zU8AEfrP-.thumb.jpg.61bf93d22d0e0d990540f3313da79b4b.jpg

A coaster enthusiasts favourite sign to see at their home park! Photo property of

I really hope it isn't a Splash Works expansion. I mean, it's not like that would be terrible, or even a bad call (splash works can get pretty damn crazy), but I'm really antsy for a good inverting coaster.

I don't believe it is for a Splash Works expansion as that is coming in 2018, but only for the children's Splash Island attraction. I'm hoping it is for either a B&M inverted or flying coaster. But, something from Mack Rides or Gerstlauer would also be welcomed. But, whatever Canada's Wonderland has in mind for the former SkyRider plot, it won't be opening until at least 2019 judging by the placement of the markers and the amount (or lack) of work which has been done with the land.

A new coaster makes more sense to me in this location. First off it'll be available from April til December (winterfest). Secondly, if the hotel plans are true, they will be adding in an indoor water park which is definitely more than enough water park space for right now.

A future outdoor water park expansion could be south of Black Hole or East of the wave pool.

This is all really promising. I'm glad to see consistent investment into the park by Cedar Fair. I don't know what the time frame would be exactly, but getting a hotel, indoor water park, Winterfest, flat rides, and a new coaster over the course of a only a few years sounds pretty great.

I mean, the above teasing doesn't concretely confirm the addition of a coaster in 2019, even when considered in context with this report that we've already seen, but it seems likely.

I do think it's a bit early to get all excited and start talking about what we should get... but I'll do it anyway

Like I said before, I really hope we get a good inverting coaster, as the ones we have now aren't great. Dragon Fire is okay, but kind of boring. The Bat is nothing to write home about, but good for when you're really jonesing for some forceful inversions. Flight Deck is just painful, also only good for those moments of desperation. Time Warp is just the worst. So I'll echo johnlloyd, I'd love a B&M Invert or Flyer, though a launched Wing Coaster could be pretty damn great.

This is all really promising. I'm glad to see consistent investment into the park by Cedar Fair. I don't know what the time frame would be exactly, but getting a hotel, indoor water park, Winterfest, flat rides, and a new coaster over the course of a only a few years sounds pretty great.

I mean, the above teasing doesn't concretely confirm the addition of a coaster in 2019, even when considered in context with this report that we've already seen, but it seems likely.

I do think it's a bit early to get all excited and start talking about what we should get... but I'll do it anyway

Like I said before, I really hope we get a good inverting coaster, as the ones we have now aren't great. Dragon Fire is okay, but kind of boring. The Bat is nothing to write home about, but good for when you're really jonesing for some forceful inversions. Flight Deck is just painful, also only good for those moments of desperation. Time Warp is just the worst. So I'll echo johnlloyd, I'd love a B&M Invert or Flyer, though a launched Wing Coaster could be pretty damn great.

I couldn't agree more! Alongside a good wooden coaster, a good looping coaster is really what Canada's Wonderland needs for their park to become solid. I believe there even is a small possibility that it could be an RMC T Rex or Raptor considering Railblazer/Wonder Woman fit perfectly in Skyrider's spot. However, a B&M invert would be the coaster I want to see more than anything!

First Update is the potential location of the teased Hotel.

402040817_Screenshot(26)_LI.thumb.jpg.86cd23f47cc6fedc205f982e7586674e.jpg

orange tags have appeared on the fencing around this area. There are 2 markers now and a orange stake int he middle of the plot of land that's vacant.

22882519_10159346676385447_477962439_o.thumb.jpg.e4c1e9e50f168be28d8673e05c945de2.jpg

orange marker along fencing. most the poles have them on it now.

22882422_10159346676390447_1639441401_o.thumb.jpg.06152404dcb1226a6db848fcfd764975.jpg

marker

22882402_10159346676245447_815088227_o.thumb.jpg.65228e9d5d1ed6d48e79b6713a1feec6.jpg

middle of the plot of land marked with orange stake

22906328_10159346676355447_982429495_o.thumb.jpg.4e7f12c09dbe0eb319d4079878ea37a7.jpg

Pretty big update on lot of movement in Skyriders plot of land and land surrounding the area. The forest next to Timberwolf Falls is now completely marked up with remove tags on the trees, markers and stakes. They keep moving the path blockade up further and further preventing viewing. There's some weird digging occurring right near where the smoking area's used to be next to the lockers in splash works on the splash path. There's markers scattered across from Skyriders plot of land in splash works and there was some land grading done next to windseeker where the removed large stones from the soil and groomed the land. In that same area there's a ton of markers, a stake and the tree's are tagged for removal. There's markers on a ton of trees and aweird tarp contraption protecting some weird equipment in the area. This land coverage is massive now and they're starting extremely early for whatever this is with the VP of marketing already teasing for 2019.

1356461944_Screenshot(31)_LI.thumb.jpg.a017f0bcfc523a8e37abaa2e8ffb6673.jpg

overall area's fenced off with construction tape and markers/ stakes.

22882491_10159346677210447_1130950465_o.thumb.jpg.0bb3128b3cb8482edccd49d19331cfe0.jpg

a massive yellow/ orange stake in the middle of the plot of land. possible station location?

22882499_10159346677440447_34983620_o.thumb.jpg.b948a4fdc129616da406559edd01d2b0.jpg

weird tarp contraption covering what looks like a machine.

22908644_10159346677855447_629321_o.thumb.jpg.e50182347351e06719c21c9a464fb129.jpg

22882597_10159346677355447_1261971502_o.thumb.jpg.1625439f4b30374c74145d0e12e8fa70.jpg

markers on the pathway leading into the white water canyon forest from the Skyrider plot of land along with digging up near the lockers across from Skyriders plot of land

22882598_10159346677520447_1554820934_o.thumb.jpg.f027cfe2ed5837c0a0176533e500c1ab.jpg

removing the fence along the Timberwolf Falls path and the tree's are marked for removal.

22883676_10159346677600447_1716102746_o.thumb.jpg.f6aa836666bac69dfe6feea590366bd9.jpg

tree's with orange markers

23023186_10159346677765447_431413468_o.thumb.jpg.9fa68c6bfeec5c5a30c37ac5d599c30f.jpg

stakes in the Timberwolf Falls forest

23107422_10159346677820447_1200923290_o.thumb.jpg.228fa1b67e42d47112a458c9612fe7de.jpg

pathway closed a lot closer now and new smoking area at the booth

22883624_10159346676790447_1148504114_o.thumb.jpg.d1b1a93d35704d64c3c2c79d2f82131b.jpg

markers on the grass area's across the pond from Skyrider's plot of land

22883659_10159346677130447_1024756977_o.thumb.jpg.42a67ede9572e84375a97f3abdb5c24f.jpg

tree's with orange tape on them across the pond from Skyriders plot of land

22883704_10159346677065447_2097220227_o.thumb.jpg.8284c0cf305b4c95776a9c376caca02c.jpg

red paint from Windseekers path all the way down to the fence at the pond

710188512_22906519_10159346676585447_1693580451_o(1).thumb.jpg.b6fe97c74f15f0f708d7860a7e5b8b0e.jpg

the fence on windseekers side is marked for removal as well

22908580_10159346677020447_2011281546_o.thumb.jpg.e08c40bf785c2685e08eb29d8baea710.jpg

some land grading/ rock removal from the soil in the windseeker area across from Skyrider

23023256_10159346677815447_1919604149_o.thumb.jpg.bcd492f9b4c469299affcf52c33d9987.jpg

I love that the left the fence open so we could see the digging aha

23023398_10159346676460447_311908188_o.thumb.jpg.8098129fe9fcacde100ce27fa87688ad.jpg

the splash path leading from Minebuster

22883726_10159346676450447_1135423631_o.thumb.jpg.7a9795012a56b826bdd563afff4f2239.jpg

markers and stakes in the splashworks area's across from Skyriders plot of land

22908496_10159346676465447_1589140530_o.thumb.jpg.f93167e5c1c03616b802b2ac91ce0062.jpg

more markers in splashworks

23023113_10159346676545447_1586952588_o.thumb.jpg.f2e229631bbace8001ed3754a458e2ef.jpg

22894758_10159346677940447_1810211365_n.jpg.c8ceba9ec4158ae4a0ce14339e88ef2a.jpg

22908619_10159346677000447_97078954_o.thumb.jpg.0629204e82ba95547a132c12dc07109b.jpg

22908442_10159346677040447_284064153_o.thumb.jpg.24d42ca48941482c5146299d22610cae.jpg

stake on windseekers grass area across from skyrider

22906724_10159346676485447_1338615618_o.thumb.jpg.9e4fce3373ef69c9a9e95b4e499e0d7e.jpg

new fence fencing off minebuster area from Skyriders old area

Last Day of operations update:

Removal of lamp posts in the SKyrider area, fence removal, music speakers were removed, more tree's marked for removal and paint markings/ better angles. We also have what looks like a potential footer.

951889882_Screenshot(34)_LI.thumb.jpg.5721462e438013121a6d6d32a84bc643.jpg

Area's with construction activity

579588441_Screenshot(33)_LI.thumb.jpg.7943c17bc805e95d03af0f9d93181166.jpg

area now including what looks to be a footer

22906627_10159350584230447_2107866734_o.thumb.jpg.849e1b236a6de5c5831b0a3534f485d0.jpg

Tree's marked for removal (my guess is about 100 tree's marked)

22906638_10159350583995447_311471588_o.thumb.jpg.659dac3107c0b5bb09a1a2a1a8f187bc.jpg

22908291_10159350583820447_124760339_o.thumb.jpg.8d999940ef4661241a22f81305c2273c.jpg

22908697_10159346677940447_1810211365_o.thumb.jpg.0bd75738712d8dc77cd45413e2278989.jpg

23030457_10159350584190447_248853290_o.thumb.jpg.2b488895dec06a9df1609c03dd6b627f.jpg

machine parked under a "hidden" tent in the construction area

22908661_10159350583200447_1665592566_o.thumb.jpg.81e0663abd71cce433f09cacb078fac6.jpg

As you can see, the markers and tree removal tags span a large land area all surrounding Skyriders old plot of land. From Timberwolf/ White water canyon area to Vortex area all the way to Windseeker area and Splashworks/ Minebuster.

22906599_10159350582925447_1622679695_o.thumb.jpg.03d42aad21276352e9fe5d9750809a1f.jpg

more markers, from Water markers, to electrical markers to red/ orange which tends to mean attention or dig here.

23030565_10159350583215447_775154422_o.thumb.jpg.a4489ae57b240bedc0a7572ec68d14df.jpg

fence on Windseekers side of pond marked for removal

23030609_10159350583180447_1756456435_o.thumb.jpg.85722f007296dda906916f43abdaab36.jpg

All fences removed, lamp posts coming down and speaker systems removed along with Tree's.

22906704_10159350583780447_180361253_o.thumb.jpg.3b14f22822bec6d6350f9c783326c5f3.jpg

markings on pathway between White Water Canyon and Timberwolf Falls

22908629_10159350583725447_2047211410_o.thumb.jpg.10058a052bb851a63b0d2e49758747c4.jpg

fence removal between Timberwolf Falls and White Water Canyon along with markings and small holes

23107495_10159350582855447_749203843_o.thumb.jpg.4ffc10cdb612f659cd94290d76095626.jpg

speakers/ electrical removed

23030724_10159350582890447_625848086_o.thumb.jpg.75508d73c2684fac145e34f3eb18ea5c.jpg

22906647_10159350582485447_1218155151_o.thumb.jpg.0160ad6ab9882cffb590cbc14328ebd5.jpg

workers removing electrical and lamp posts

23113001_10159350582490447_1586964001_o.thumb.jpg.81a6febf1636b2877f703c68dd5aba79.jpg

22908615_10159350583660447_92992412_o.thumb.jpg.9751fd99eb8b1bd3183c0003e749f1f5.jpg

22908626_10159350582900447_790715664_o.thumb.jpg.9e7197f0d8ae84702a8f6d0f6bb04046.jpg

22906743_10159350582880447_1467929783_o.thumb.jpg.23a8956da3210299e262c61162d18888.jpg

everything is being removed from the area

23107349_10159350582465447_2112106455_o.thumb.jpg.e5848b6317cda61e2bf9007386b1102d.jpg

and what looks like to be a footer surrounded by markings.

So yesterday morning, the girlfriend and I decided we should go to the park, as it would definitely be our last chance for the year. We didn't hustle out the door to get there for opening, as we didn't expect the park to get too crazy on such a cold day; I think the highest temperature reached around 9-10 C (50 F). So we made a nice big breakfast of BLTs and scrambled eggs, watched an episode or two of the office, then bundled up in a couple of sweaters, grabbed some gloves, and hit the road.

We got to the park around 11:30 or so (it's a 35 minute drive for us), and while plenty of people were showing up at the same time, the parking lot was well under half full. Once in the park we headed straight for Leviathan, hoping it wouldn't be too full of a line, which luckily for us, it wasn't. Seriously, this line never went behind the station any of the times we checked it out, and our first wait was 10 minutes, max. We got on somewhere in the middle, I think 3rd or 4th train, as we have great rides on this no matter where we sit. We were shivering before we even went down the first drop, but I was pumped, I love that "Oh shit" moment cresting the hill. The ride was great. I was expecting it to feel sluggish or something in the cold, but it definitely DID NOT feels slow. By the end of the ride, I could barely see, my eyes had watered up so much from the cold wind our faces. It was such a great ride that we just swung right back around for another short wait, this time getting to jump ahead a bunch because they needed two riders. We got seated second from the back, and this was even better. Seriously, I love that drop in the back, just wild.

DSC_0518.thumb.JPG.507af7240792c0058c739b8253026402.JPG

An epic climb to start the day.

After our two rides on Leviathan, we decided to do something we'd been putting off for a while: Wild Beast. Earlier in the season, we got the absolute shit kicked out of us on this ride. It was pretty startling, as we'd ridden this a dozen or more times in 2016, and while we had some rough rides, never anything so bad as at the start of 2017.

DSC_0524.thumb.JPG.50a111d9ce8a99430e1e9dab101e407d.JPG

Seriously, that's what we felt like after riding it at the start of the season.

I'm pretty sure we must have been in a wheel seat that time, which I wouldn't have thought of at the time. So we made sure to sit in the front seat of our car, and away we went. Honestly, it was much better this time, and it was quite an enjoyable ride. It was rough in the way you expect an old woodie to be without being painful. We were glad to have ridden it again, as it was always a regular part of our roster before this year. We'll keep giving it a chance next year.

DSC_0523.thumb.JPG.01d273045fb7a57d14ca86e764147bb0.JPG

Not quite so epic a climb.

Next up was our favorite flat, and really, one of our favorite rides overall.

DSC_0525.thumb.JPG.45c784a83cc693c6ca2898209b7dbafc.JPG

DSC_0528.thumb.JPG.0ba3a2aa11190bf23b31e2875aeb3b0f.JPG

This beauty right here.

Seriously, we love the HELL out of Shockwave. Even when they don't shake up the ride cycle, you don't really get the same ride twice, and it's usually one of the crazier rides you can get in the park. This particular ride was no exception. We started out going backwards, and did some crazy backwards soaring and flipping. But really, my favorite thing with this ride is when it changes directions and launches you up and over. Just the best kind of ludicrous madness.

Next was another one of our favorites that we ride 95% of the time we go to the park: Vortex. This ride isn't super intense, but damn is it fun. I love going up the side of the mountain, and then back down the other side. I love the consistent speed, I love diving over and around the pond and fountain, and I love the consistent speed. This ride is fairly tame for us now, but is just pure fun. We also have some fond memories of this ride, which we always have a laugh about once we hit the break run. In September we brought my brother and sister-in-law to park with our free bring a friend passes, and we all rode Vortex. Well, my sister-in-law was screaming like a mad banshee the whole time, which was absolutely hilarious to us, and was the best ride we ever had on Vortex. Seriously, we couldn't stop laughing. So we always remember that on Vortex, and it always gives us another fit of the giggles.

DSC_0535.thumb.JPG.2dc21547867ac7d3bcd3c9d28222c128.JPG

DSC_0533.thumb.JPG.f003dc0b786198322f6ee21569577627.JPG

This year we've been having bad luck with our visits. Most of our visits have been on really busy days, so we tend to avoid rides that slow-moving lines. This has meant that some of the rides we really enjoy have gotten less love this year, and so we wanted to make it up to them, and one in particular.

DSC_0536.thumb.JPG.7daf9c5d546e23f4a3d0ff43252ea003.JPG

This beautiful bastard.

The operations on this ride are usually pretty slow, and as much as we love it, it takes less priority than rides like Behemoth, Vortex, Shockwave, and Leviathan, so it often gets skipped. Not this time. THe line was prettty short, so we only had to wait two cycles before we got on. I really enjoy this ride. Another ride that gives a very different experience depending on where you sit. I know it can give some pretty crazy air where it feels like it's gonna launch you into the sky, which is great, but I actually prefer the seats that have you staring straight down at the ground. I find that damn thrilling. This ride we got some pretty wild air, which is the ride we get less often, so I was good with it. Glad we got on it one more time this season.

And then it was time for my most loved ride in the park, the ride that I think of when I think airtime. The massive beast of the land:

DSC_0538.thumb.JPG.ea49308caddb87080bc288b5899b115d.JPG

This line had actually gotten fairly long relative to the other lines we'd seen, and we waited probably about 25 minutes, our longest wait all day along with Shockwave (which is always slow as shit). Even given the length of the line, this felt slower than normal, and it was no wonder. The operations were not so hot, and all three trains were stacking almost every time. The entire time we were in line, there was only one dispatch that happened within mere moments of the currently running train leaving the MCBR. It was unfortunate, but I didn't sweat it too much, as the wait wasn't terrible anyway.

DSC_0537.thumb.JPG.cec28ba2b63e563e499b1f3cd7f01ec8.JPG

Terrible picture, great coaster.

We sat front row, second to last car. Now, I actually usually prefer to sit at/near the front on Behemoth. I find that the airtime is longer lasting near the front, and that the hill right after the hammerhead turn is hugely better near the front than the back as I don't seem to lose air because of the trim the same way I do in the back. Now that said, this was an especially great near-back ride. The air going down the camelbacks was good, but I kind got slammed back into my seat after each hill, in a good way. Seriously, I've ridden Behemoth dozens of times, and I'd never had a ride quite like this one. What a solid end-of season ride on such a solid coaster.

By now we were getting hungry, and we were pretty damn cold, so some hot food sounded perfect. We headed up the by Spine Warp and Flight Death, thinking we would go to International St and grab some Chinese, our usual. Except that we noticed for the first time that Backlot Cafe is on the meal plan!

DSC_0541.thumb.JPG.9dde3cacde184612808840e6fd793a30.JPG

How did we not know?

So we ducked inside to check it out. I was impressed with the variety of food, and we decided to get some curry. We quickly changed our mind though, as the lineup for the Mediterranean was pretty much non-existent. So we grabbed a chicken souvlaki platter and grabbed a seat outisde - the place was packed because everyone was trying to escape the damn cold! The food was decent, definitely better than we expected. I mean, we lived near the Danforth for a few years, so obviously this did not actually impress us (we're snobs, we know, deal with it ), but really, it was better than most of the other food we've had in the park. I mean, there were actual vegetables...

DSC_0539.thumb.JPG.a0fafe4e7ed347c0816052633d020690.JPG

Surprisingly decent.

It was getting to be late afternoon, around 3pm or so, and we both had things to do at home, so we decided we should head home. So we headed out to International St, but we knew we had one thing left to do before we left the park for the last time in 2017.

DSC_0543.thumb.JPG.de05b79f35295eb784303904548cc9e9.JPG

Season-ender.

The line was still short, not even going behind the station, which was nice. We were gonna ride no matter what the line was like, but we were pleased to see a short wait, probably only 10-15 minutes. Except we didn't wait quite that long. Once again, they needed a pair of riders, and we got pulled forward, cutting our wait down by a train. We were seated second to the front. This ride was so damn good. As much as I love the drop at the back of this ride, I also love staring down the drop as you crest the hill, and the front/near-front gives such a great vantage-point to do so. As before, I was surprised at how much it felt like we were hauling-ass, and had a great ride. Seriously high note to end our season on.

IMG_20171029_161610_795.thumb.jpg.20abc8b794856849f3287542c6a75264.jpg

Here we are saying goodbye to Leviathan.

And so we headed out of the park, satisfied with our short, but dense visit, one of the best of the season. We're looking forward to next season, and hope Lumberjack is better than Soaring Timbers turned out to be, but we're optimistic. Now that the season is over, I get to obsess and theorize about 2019, and she gets to put up with it, humoring me with good patience.

DSC_0546.thumb.JPG.53f817429f8e191a18a26e354986010d.JPG

My last, teary-eyed photo of Leviathan for the year

IMG_20171029_161610_800.thumb.jpg.b76270b60367c80c22a6f8f8ead00076.jpg

See you in 6ish months!