Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

P. 1423: Holidays at Universal Orlando media preview report!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 10 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
sfot94

Postby sfot94 » Thu May 31, 2007 10:10 am

Wow Great job orlando, nice way to bring the harry potter nerds out of there basments

TPR's bug...

Postby woah_killa » Thu May 31, 2007 10:17 am

ginzo wrote:The Wind in the Willows was one of my favorite books as a kid, right up there with The Phantom Tollbooth. And I don't remember a thing about either now :(

Did kids line up around street corners on midnight to buy Wind in the Willows or The Phantom Tollbooth?

IMO, I think Harry Potter will survive for an extremely long time. I've read the books over and over and they never seem to get boring. I'll probably be 50 years old and still waiting for the 8th book to come out; that's how good they are.

#1 Nintendo Fanboy!

Re: Fad?

Postby bgwfreak » Thu May 31, 2007 10:22 am

krigger228 wrote:Harry Potter is going to be around for quite a while.

I agree. Harry Potter has to be almost as popular now as Star Wars, and Star Wars is still making money off stuff and will be for the next 50 years at least if not forever.

Books/films are also discovered by each new generation and will continue to make new fans from now on.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby Nickhutson » Thu May 31, 2007 10:29 am

They just ended a news report with a very nice qoute to think of...

"Who knows? In 25 years time, fans of Harry Potter will be bringing their own children to the new "park"".

Full Fledged Donkey Enthusiast!

Postby coasterbadboy » Thu May 31, 2007 10:45 am

If you notice in the concept art I belive Dragons is vaguely represented under the word Harry.

Looking at the high-res version, it's actually The Flying Unicorn that is vaguely represented. On the far right of the high-res is the current castle queue (with some additional tents) for Dragons.

Based on this layout, that puts Hogwarts castle in the large area between Jurassic and The Flying Unicorn. (See Page 1 of this thread; it looks like the castle is gonna go right where Robb put his big question mark.)

Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Donkey.

Postby raptorcrew2002 » Thu May 31, 2007 10:47 am

I want my Ralph S. Mouse themed land damnit!
Nothing beats Mouse & the motorcycle.

ginzo wrote:
krigger228 wrote:I am trying to understand the whole "Harry Potter is a fad" argument. Couldn't you say the same thing about Dr. Suess? They built a whole island on that idea.

Harry Potter is going to be around for quite a while. Those books are well written, engrossing stories.

Yeah, Dr. Seuss was a literary and creative genius. Rowling is not. This, of course, says nothing about the popularity of either. Dr. Seuss published his first children's book in 1937. It's safe to say that his work is enduring, not a whimsical fad. The long term success of Harry Potter remains to be seen.

I agree Harry Potter is not really that good, the story is a rip of many other stories and movies that have been done before and converted to a different story line with similar adventures to even some HBO Halloween series I remember watching as a kid.

I am glad it did get more kids to read again although.

And yes comparing Dr Seuss to Rowling is about as far in left field as you can get. Seuss has had the test of time to establish his work as a master peace. Rowling’s work is predictable and I have to agree for the fad statement.
Time will only prove the true works of art.

Ok now before you "As someone so greatly put it" basement nerds get ticked off.
I do believe a Harry Potthead themed land will add much needed atmosphere to IOA. No doubt about it and very smart decision.

Also when you look at the Owls eye view the coaster in front of the castle looks possible for a flyer layout. They have wanted a B&M flyer for some time now, will be neat to see what they announce.

:::: Sorcerer Mickey could kick Potters a$$ any day ::::

Best part of this: Besides IOA finally getting something new. Disney will once again step up to the plate.
Will be interesting to see what’s under their sleeves because they have known about this for some time.
5th Gate, or huge expansion to Animal Kingdom, hmmm. Time will tell.

WDW Monorail Fanatic

Postby BeemerBoy » Thu May 31, 2007 11:14 am

raptorcrew2002 wrote:Best part of this: Besides IOA finally getting something new. Disney will once again step up to the plate.
Will be interesting to see what’s under their sleeves because they have known about this for some time.
5th Gate, or huge expansion to Animal Kingdom, hmmm. Time will tell.

-Begin dream sequence-
Fade in: interior of LucasArts headquarters.
Secretary: "Mr. Lucas, line one. It's the Walt Disney Company.
George Lucas: "Thanks, I'll take it."
Iger: "George, we'd like you to develop a park based on the Star Wars franchise."
George: "Gladly. An unlimited budget, you say?"
Iger: "You have free reign."
George: "Deal. We'll get started immediately."

Fade out: Back to Harry Potter discusion. ;)
Displaying "Online Enthusiast Morality" since 2006, with 99.9% more sarcasm.

Full Fledged Donkey Enthusiast!

Postby coasterbadboy » Thu May 31, 2007 11:31 am

BeemerBoy, it's all your fault. I am no longer concentrating at work; I'm dreaming of a Star Wars theme park. Thanks a lot! ;) (Mmmmm...stunt show at the Great Pit of Carkoon with Jabba's barge as the main stage.)

Wow! I didn't realize that TPR had so many qualified literary critics and English professors! It just goes to show that you can't judge a person by his or her screen name.

I'm okay TWWOHP as long as the quality is high, the attention to detail is elaborate, and the attractions are of immense quality. Based on the concept art, my hopes are high. Whether you're a fan or not, I think we can all enjoy fully immersive, fictional environments. That's what a theme park is all about, right?

He's kind of sad and pathetic

Postby BarryH » Thu May 31, 2007 11:52 am

^I can see it now at the Star Wars theme park...

"Jar Jar Binks: The Ride"

Elissa + Hangman Fanboy

Postby FlippyTrick09 » Thu May 31, 2007 12:04 pm

Eww, Harry Potter...

Well it might be good. I just hope Hermione will be there =) ....

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!