Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

P. 1399: Holidays at Universal Media Event Photo Report!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 7 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
This B&M donkey is so smooth!

Re: Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

Postby sugart » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:06 pm

Eh I don't trust anyone, I have so little faith in humanity that I look both ways on a one way street. The only absolute way is everyone has to put everything in a fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo. I seem to remember the fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo being free, no?

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby Satans Hockey » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:53 am

Just chiming in a bit on my experiences last year with El Toro because I went to the park so many times and I witnessed so many people on the ride take out their cell phones. I have ended up just sitting towards the front of the train lately because I got tired of covering my face up in the back of the train cause I could see some selfish moron with their cell phone out a bunch of times. At least if I'm in the first few rows it lessens the odds of this happening plus I can actually yell at the people to put it away.

The park was sued last year because someone said they were blinded in one eye from a cell phone hitting them on El Toro. I think thats the major reason the park put this policy in for this year but it's still half assed because I've seen people with their phones out this year as well on the ride and I've easily been able to walk into the line with stuff in my zippered pockets just by telling the guard I didn't have anything.

I don't like the current policy but it's becoming a real problem because some of these people are just selfish morons that only care about themselves and taking shitty videos on the ride. Personally I would like to see stiffer penalties for people being caught with their phones out on the rides, from what I've seen and read the park doesn't really do anything. These people should be thrown out and banned for a few years. Maybe if the parks would start setting examples out of people it would wake some of these idiots up.

It's a shitty situation and I agree I don't like paying money to go to a park just to be treated like I'm an irresponsible moron but I just don't know how you fix it since there are always going to be stupid people.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:18 am

There's a seemingly easy way to improve it on both rides. Both rides have queue sections leading up to the stations beyond the Flash Pass merge point that are immediately adjacent to the exit path. Wand people there, put fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo there then you kill two birds with one stone.

1) You don't need as many fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo since the only people who will need one are people currently in the station and on the ride. You won't need capacity for everyone in the queue (because neither ride has enough fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo and when Fright Fest gets really busy it'll be a disaster).

2) People will only be without their phones for about 5 minutes tops before boarding a train (unless they wait for the front I guess) and nobody will care.

Sorry to go off topic and talk about Great Adventure but it would apply at Universal too. People would be far less annoyed by this if you had all of your stuff for the duration of the queue and only had to put your crap in a fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo a couple of minutes before you actually board the train.

But yeah, I've seen El Toro cease operation for a solid 30 minutes while maintenance went to go get a phone off of the track that landed right on the running rail, I've seen countless phones fly out on Kingda Ka's camelback and go flying straight into the queue area at high speed before exploding onto the concrete (thankfully people were paying attention and saw it coming). People are insufferable idiots and I understand why the park is doing it, I just wish they came up with a way to make it less invasive and put the fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo at the end of the queue right before you actually board the train.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby CalebVeitch » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:24 pm

Hey everyone! I’m going to Horror Nights this coming Wednesday, and it will be my first time! Do you guys have any tips on how to get to most of the houses and still get on the available rides? Also, can you enter the park before the stated time of 6:30? I’m just wondering if it is like Mickey’s Not So Scary where you can enter at 4:00 but the ticket says 7:00. Thanks in advance.

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby EastCoastn07 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:41 am

HAZE wrote:And for sure they do not wish to carry the dubious honor of being the first park to scrap not one but two classic B&M inverts, right? Really, I think Universal needs the money to build whatever will be replacing Dueling Dragons. Why else would they scrap a functional B&M invert?

Because if I'm not mistaken, behind Hulk, DD had one of the highest operating times of any B&M in the world? And with that much operating time comes a highly fatigued machine that was mostly only designed to operate for a certain lifetime.

Holy crap you have a HUGE donkey!

Postby kenban » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:26 pm

EastCoastn07 wrote:
HAZE wrote:And for sure they do not wish to carry the dubious honor of being the first park to scrap not one but two classic B&M inverts, right? Really, I think Universal needs the money to build whatever will be replacing Dueling Dragons. Why else would they scrap a functional B&M invert?

Because if I'm not mistaken, behind Hulk, DD had one of the highest operating times of any B&M in the world? And with that much operating time comes a highly fatigued machine that was mostly only designed to operate for a certain lifetime.

The problem is that people do not seem to understand the decisions were made for business reasons. The company does not care about enthusiasts or about any history related to the rides. All that matters is if the rides are going to drive ticket sales, annual passes, merchandise etc. It makes no difference if the rides were in good enough shape for another 20 years or even another 50 years.

Why scrap a functional B&M invert? Because they care more about the returns from a possible replacement then the existing ride. Why scrap it instead of selling it? Likely because they do not want another park to get what used to be a signature ride. Also used rides are often sold for a fraction of the original cost, the small return is just not worth it to a company like Universal.

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:07 pm

kenban wrote:Why scrap a functional B&M invert? Because they care more about the returns from a possible replacement then the existing ride. Why scrap it instead of selling it? Likely because they do not want another park to get what used to be a signature ride. Also used rides are often sold for a fraction of the original cost, the small return is just not worth it to a company like Universal.

Seriously? If a park wanted the same ride they could ask B&M to manufacture it.

Why scrap it? manpower and time
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:24 am

Seems the ride is being taken apart very carefully for use at another park. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Source: https://twitter.com/jtamagni1976/status/915256437730942976
Last edited by robbalvey on Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:07 pm.

Donkeys give me orgiastic scream!

Postby CoasterAuditor » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:37 am

^That image is unbearably depressing :cry: . The harry potter bike coaster better be REALLY REALLY REALLY good (it wont, maybe it'll be decent but not worth these).
Roller Coasters provide a great escape from the depressing reality that is adulthood.
Top Coasters 1. El Toro 2. Intimidator 305 3. New Texas Giant 4. Millennium Force 5. Nitro
Top Parks 1. BGW 2. DW 3. CP 4. IOA 5. USF

"There's happiness......then there's El Toros Rolling Thunder Hill"

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby mikeykaise » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:09 pm

I'm guessing the Harry Potter ride will be more 3d glasses and video screens like the trend for this park has been.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!