Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

P. 1388 - Halloween Horror Nights 27 Media Event TR!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Site Admin
User avatar
 
Posts: 46523
Joined: 01 Feb 2005
Location: Orlando, FL
Gender: Male

Re: Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

Postby robbalvey » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:07 pm

HAZE wrote:Universal's Florida parks are not exactly targeted towards enthusiasts

Yes they are. Harry Potter enthusiasts.

I'd like to buy a vowel!
User avatar
 
Posts: 3143
Joined: 26 May 2009
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Gender: Male
Age: 32

Re: Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

Postby KBrylczyk » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:39 pm

^ Hey, now! Don't forget the Jimmy Fallon enthusiasts!
Image

I know quite a lot about Donkeys!
 
Posts: 54
Joined: 11 Jun 2017
Location: North Carolina
Gender: Male
Age: 17

Re: Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

Postby average.coaster.fan » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:14 pm

HAZE wrote:Really, I think Universal needs the money to build whatever will be replacing Dueling Dragons. Why else would they scrap a functional B&M invert?


Im quite confused by this statement. If Universal needs the money for their next E-Ticket attractions, why not sell the coasters to another park? Considerimg how great the ride's condition was, surely it would sell off for a lot of money that would surely pay off for their next attraction.

Money doesn't look like the big motive for them, especially considering how large their attendance is with both theme parks, Volcano Bay, and all the people that stay in their resorts. What most likely is the biggest motive for Universal is how "out-of-place" the ride is, especially after it stopped dueling. It wasn't getting rough, it wasn't losing popularity, and the new ride could have simply replaced the remainder of The Lost Continent. But no, the reason was there ever since the Wizarding World first arrived. Dragon Challenge's condition got worse and worse with the removal of the original theming, the addition of metal detectors, and the removal of the iconic dueling aspect of the ride.
Steel: 102 Wood: 19 Overall: 121
Top 5 Steel: Skyrush, Kumba, i305, Fury 325, Montu
Top 5 Wood: Thunderhead, White Lightning, Grizzly (KD), Thunder Road, Comet

"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"
User avatar
 
Posts: 1101
Joined: 28 May 2015
Location: Columbia, MO
Gender: Male

Re: Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

Postby RollerManic » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:16 pm

I know I'm chipping in on this discussion pretty late, but I always found it odd that after installing the metal detectors and fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo they didn't reprogram the ride to duel. Insurance companies are anal, I get it, blah blah blah ... but none the less still unfortunate.

I never had a problem with the fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo, although I know plenty of people oh here couldn't stand them. Sure they were tight, but at least they were free and insured the safety of the few items I do carry into parks (namely just my phone). And IIRC correctly, they were the fingerprint ones too, where you didn't have to carry your ticket, correct?

If they would have brought back dueling, I would have most certainly actually welcomed the fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo.

Anyone else feel the same?

Anyway, I just thought I'd pop in to say that before it someday becomes completely irrelevant.
1. El Toro | 2. Maverick | 3. Mako | 4. NTAG | 5. Nitro

Site Admin
User avatar
 
Posts: 46523
Joined: 01 Feb 2005
Location: Orlando, FL
Gender: Male

Re: Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

Postby robbalvey » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:23 pm

RollerManic wrote:I never had a problem with the fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo, although I know plenty of people oh here couldn't stand them. Sure they were tight, but at least they were free and insured the safety of the few items I do carry into parks (namely just my phone). And IIRC correctly, they were the fingerprint ones too, where you didn't have to carry your ticket, correct?


Here is my issue with them:

- The fact that if there is a long line (and I've often seen Hulk or Rockit with a 45 minute line) you can't bring your phone in line with you to pre-occupy yourself with! Name another park in the entire world that does this. I'll bet you can't. You know why? BECAUSE IT'S STUPID!!! That's why!

- While the systems are either fingerprint or scan a ticket, the fact that you usually have to wait in line while some idiot in front of you can't figure out how to use the damn system to actually get to the kiosk to rent a fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo is so annoying.

- Oh, and not only do you have to wait in that annoying line behind that idiot to rent the fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo, you have to do it AGAIN to re-open the fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo while when it's done.

- So yeah, in order to ride Hulk you have to stand in THREE LINES. 1. A line to put your crap away. 2. The line for the ride. 3. A line to get your crap back.

- Half of the time, even when I have NOTHING AT ALL in my pocket and the metal detector didn't go off, I still get wanded. Why. WHY!?!?!? Does Universal know how infuriating this is? I'm just trying to get on an amusement park ride.

Bottom line is this: I don't want to go on attractions where it is a frustrating hassle and they treat me like a criminal just to get on a damn ride.

RollerManic wrote:If they would have brought back dueling, I would have most certainly actually welcomed the fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo.

You know, I probably would have been "okay" with them too. But they didn't and now they are gone, and it's still annoying af to get on Hulk and Rockit.

"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"
User avatar
 
Posts: 1196
Joined: 27 Feb 2011
Gender: Male
Age: 20

Re: Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

Postby MrSum1_55 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:56 pm

^Even more infuriatingly, Universal is not the only park with a no phone in pocket policy, but they are somewhat unique with their policy in which you have to get rid of everything BEFORE you get in the line.

For example, on Karnan people are told (or at least strongly recommended) to empty their pockets. However, this is not done until the front of the line is reached. Everything can be placed in the bag dumbwaiter. And I feel safe keeping everything in there, as no one can access your stuff except the people in your train. This is an amazing idea. I would not mind Universal's system if there was a way to get rid of your stuff at the front of the line, not before you get in it.

Hansa Park is a small park in the north of Germany. Some of the locals I met were even downright shocked to see a foreigner there. But they managed to come up with a better loose article system than one of the most visited theme park resorts in the world. I wish the managers of Hansa Park, Phantasialand, and Europa Park could come to the US to teach managers here how to properly run a park.

Site Admin
User avatar
 
Posts: 46523
Joined: 01 Feb 2005
Location: Orlando, FL
Gender: Male

Re: Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

Postby robbalvey » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:51 pm

MrSum1_55 wrote:^Even more infuriatingly, Universal is not the only park with a no phone in pocket policy, but they are somewhat unique with their policy in which you have to get rid of everything BEFORE you get in the line.

For example, on Karnan people are told (or at least strongly recommended) to empty their pockets. However, this is not done until the front of the line is reached.

Yeah, ok, wow... you COMPLETELY TOTALLY MISSED what I said...
robbalvey wrote:The fact that if there is a long line (and I've often seen Hulk or Rockit with a 45 minute line) you can't bring your phone in line with you to pre-occupy yourself with!

That is totally different from having to empty your pockets right before you board a ride. Several parks do this. Although I've been to Hansa Park many many times and I don't remember having to take my phone out of my pocket to ride, even on Karnan. But even if you did, my point is still remains...

I cannot think of a single park in the world (and I've been to most of them) that MAKES YOU take EVERYTHING out of your pockets BEFORE getting in line for a ride and makes you walk through a metal detector to even get in line.
Last edited by robbalvey on Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:55 pm.

"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"
User avatar
 
Posts: 1196
Joined: 27 Feb 2011
Gender: Male
Age: 20

Re: Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

Postby MrSum1_55 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:06 pm

^I was not trying to downplay your point. I was actually trying to strengthen it. I know you have been there, but I distinctly remember being told to completely empty my pockets on Karnan. I guess maybe they are inconsistent with their policy? Maybe this is a newer policy? I was talking about how Universal's policy is especially stupid because they go about it in the worst possible way. Yes, having to take your phone out of your pocket is bad enough, but they also managed to find a terrible way to implement it. I know many GP who are angered by this as well.

I am not personally against Universal making their rides idiot proof, but they also managed to find an idiotic solution. People should not have to go through two modes of metal detecting and give up all electronics for an hour for a ride that they already paid for.

Why do I still have a donkey title???
User avatar
 
Posts: 4172
Joined: 02 Aug 2012
Location: These Ozarks Hills
Gender: Male
Age: 32

Re: Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:41 pm

robbalvey wrote: - The fact that if there is a long line (and I've often seen Hulk or Rockit with a 45 minute line) you can't bring your phone in line with you to pre-occupy yourself with! Name another park in the entire world that does this. I'll bet you can't. You know why? BECAUSE IT'S STUPID!!! That's why!

Six Flags Great Adventure does. They have people standing in front of the queue preventing guests from even getting in the queue if they have anything in their pockets, and they also have security pull people back out of line if they sneak a phone through that checkpoint and have a phone out in the queue. I personally witnessed this happen in the queue for El Toro; the guest was pulled out of line, told to go to the kiosk, put their phone in a fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo, and re-enter the queue at the very beginning again. Bonus: The park actually charges guests to use that fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo.
Image
Top Wood: 1. The Outlaw Run 2. The Phoenix 3. The El Toro 4. The Voyage 5. The Beast
Top Steel: 1. The Millennium Force 2. The Skyrush 3. The Magnum XL-200 4. The Diamondback 5. The Maverick
Top Parks: 1. The Disneyland 2. The Dollywood 3. The Silver Dollar City 4. The Knoebels 5. The Holiday World

Am I allowed to eat donkey during lent?
User avatar
 
Posts: 1580
Joined: 27 Mar 2007
Location: Korea
Gender: Male
Age: 29

Re: Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

Postby Garet » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:59 am

I know a park with ridiculous operations and the strictest loose articles policy known to man.... Fuji Q. I mean I once got unlocked to put a small tissue in the fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo I didn't even realize was there myself and had to put a watch in the fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo to be replaced by an even larger band..... and even they still let you keep your phone to keep you occupied in a queue line.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests

These pages are in no way affiliated with nor endorsed by SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment, Cedar Fair, Legoland, Merlin Entertainment,
Blackstone, Tussaud's Group, Six Flags, Universal Theme Parks, the Walt Disney Company or any other theme park company.

All onride photos and videos on this website were taken with the permission of the park by a professional ride photographer.
For yours  and others safety, please do not attempt to take photos or videos at parks without proper permission.

Disclaimer!  You need a sense of humor to view our site, 
if you don't have a sense of humor, or are easily offended, please turn back now!
Most of the content on this forum is suitable for all ages. HOWEVER!
There may be some content that would be considered rated "PG-13."
Theme Park Review is NOT recommended for ages under 13 years of age.

cron