Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

P. 1305 - Jimmy Fallon Ride Sneak Preview!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I own the website www.donkey.com

Re: Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

Postby Invertalon » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:17 am

On the plus side, future (upcoming) attractions are going away from the 3D glasses and all that jazz... So that's promising at least.
-Steve

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby cparkes92 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:49 am

robbalvey wrote:
dreynolds1982 wrote:That being said, for the casual visitor, the burn out probably isn't near as bad, so probably doesn't impact them as much.

You'd be surprised. I've actually heard this more and more lately from the casual visitor. Especially when the screen based rides seem to be taking over. How many are there now?

1. Kong
2. Fallon
3. Gringotts
4. Forbidden Journey
5. Spider-Man
6. Transformers
7. Hogwart's Express
8. Despicable Me
9. Shrek
10. Simpsons
11. Terminator
12. Fast and the Furious (2018)

Did I miss any?

I wouldn't consider Hogwarts Express to be a true screen-based ride as (a) it is a transport ride and (b) no 3D glasses required. It also seems like almost every Universal ride either requires 3D glasses and/or storing stuff in a fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo.
Top 10 coasters: 1. Millennium Force; 2. Incredible Hulk; 3. Maverick; 4. Raptor; 5. Top Thrill Dragster; 6. Valravn; 7. GateKeeper; 8. Kraken; 9. Rougarou; 10. Shivering Timbers

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:01 pm

^Hogwarts Express is both a screen-based attraction and a transportation system--not to mention a way to ensure that Potter fans buy a two-park ticket. ;)

I think Intamin should make a donkey!

Postby edgeboy » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:13 pm

To me, there's a slight difference between 3D screen based attractions, and screen attractions that don't require 3D glasses. They just don't seem as intrusive, and often incorporate physical sets. So I personally put them in a different category, and am much more tolerant.

That said, that's still a pretty dang long list of 3D screen based attractions, even if one removes HE and FJ.

Can I park my donkey here?

Postby super7 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:38 pm

Ugh. I didn't realize that Kong was also video-based.

Hogwarts Express is among the worst of the worst video rides IMO. A slow train ride with no real scenery. The slow train rides are some of my favorite rides. But where at Disney & Busch you get to ride a train around the park and see the scenery, this is completely like watching tv in a chair.

IMO Universal is probably the worst theme park value in the USA. They theming of Islands of Adventure is amazing. Not so much at the Studio park. But the pure number of video base rides, given that the prices are as high as Disney, makes it a horrible value. Top that with their Express Pass is an additional fee......

The best thing about TPR is the donkeys.

Postby kenban » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:32 pm

I am pretty sure here is a complete list of all the rides that are not screen based. Which means in total both parks only contain 29 rides and more than a third are screen based.

1. Caro-Seuss-el
2. Doctor Doom Fearfall
3. Dragon Challenge
4. Ripsaw Falls
5. ET
6. Flight of the Hippogriff
7. Rockit
8. JP River Adventure
9. Twirl n Hurl
10. MIB
11. Red Fish Blue fish
12. Barges
13. Flyers
14. Mummy
15. Storm Force
16. Cat in the Hat
17. Seuss Trolley
18. Hulk
19. Woody Woodpecker Coaster

I just am not excited about Universal Orlando as I used to be. I really do like Harry Potter and I think everything Potter related has been good so far. But the building for Kong is better than the ride itself, I have been on it twice and that was enough unless the line is short. I did not enjoy Fast & Furious in Hollywood and I doubt it will suddenly become good in Orlando. I have not ridden Fallon yet, so I will not comment on the ride itself. But the "queueless" wait for Fallon sounds more like a forced 45-minute wait no matter how busy or slow the park is.

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:41 pm

I actually found the Hogwarts express to be quite clever in it's execution given the fact the train travels a route that would be nothing but ugly backstage views.

What's interesting about Fallon's popularity is that he actually leads in the ratings for the coveted 18-49 demographic, but that's only 1 million viewers...and he has lost the last 5 weeks of overall ratings to Colbert.

I personally wish they would have expanded upon the 30 rock concept and instead of a ride, made the attraction a show/museum about the history of NBC. Could cover a whole lot between just the tonight show and SNL.

There's clearly still a market for Universal Orlando, as year after year their attendance keeps going up...but that isn't an endorsement of screen based attractions.

I Love Donkeys!

Postby dreynolds1982 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:00 pm

cfc wrote:^Hogwarts Express is both a screen-based attraction and a transportation system--not to mention a way to ensure that Potter fans buy a two-park ticket. ;)

As a Potter fan, I think HE is moderately fun (c-ticket level), but they could could have encased it in a tunnel with real props/scenery (incorporating some projection mapping or embedded media screens), left the windows open, kept the frosted door shadow effect (which I think is really cool), and it would have been a much better attraction (though I know it would have been significantly more expensive). I think you are just sitting too close to them for the faux-window effect to even remotely work (if you're sitting right by it not only can you easily see the edges of the screen but also the "screen door effect" created by the low pixel density of the video).

I like what Disney is seemingly starting to do with newer rides Shanghai Tron and POTC, and now (based on reports) the Navi River Adventure at Pandora, embedding/incorporating projection mapping/media screens into practical sets to enhance the immersiveness rather than have them act as the main focal point. Even Flight of Passage will have the Banshees that you're riding on rather than just plain benches/seats.

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:18 pm

cparkes92 wrote:I wouldn't consider Hogwarts Express to be a true screen-based ride

What are you talking about??? The ride is almost entirely based on the screen that you watch. Have you ridden it? They literally put you in a room to sit down and watch a TV screen and the ONLY THING to look at in the room is the TV screen! Considering that it's probably one of the most ridden, most popular, not to mention longest attractions in the park, I would absolutely consider it a "screen based attraction."
Last edited by robbalvey on Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:28 pm.

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby cparkes92 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:53 pm

robbalvey wrote:
cparkes92 wrote:I wouldn't consider Hogwarts Express to be a true screen-based ride

What are you talking about??? The ride is almost entirely based on the screen that you watch. Have you ridden it? They literally put you in a room to sit down and watch a TV screen and the ONLY THING to look at in the room is the TV screen! Considering that it's probably one of the most ridden, most popular, not to mention longest attractions in the park, I would absolutely consider it a "screen based attraction."

I have ridden it. Several times in fact! However, no 3D glasses necessary!
Top 10 coasters: 1. Millennium Force; 2. Incredible Hulk; 3. Maverick; 4. Raptor; 5. Top Thrill Dragster; 6. Valravn; 7. GateKeeper; 8. Kraken; 9. Rougarou; 10. Shivering Timbers

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!